Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #13188
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Long Exposure" Previous topic | Next topic
airehead Registered since 26th May 2011Sun 06-Nov-11 06:00 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Long Exposure"

GB

Sounds daft I know; I should know this........

What is the best way to achieve an exposure of greater than 30 seconds?

I would like to use my 10 stopper and exposures of several minutes may be required.

I have the wireless remote gadget.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 06-Nov-11 07:06 PM
4108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Long Exposure"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Starting with the extreme basics, you will need a tripod, a wired or wireless release, and a watch or other timer. Some of the higher end releases have built-in timers.

The camera shutter speed with be set to "bulb" (at the far end just past 30 seconds).

You will probably want to experiment with the long exposure noise reduction settings to see if they do or do not work for your situations.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED

airehead Registered since 26th May 2011Mon 07-Nov-11 06:36 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Long Exposure"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

>The camera shutter speed with be set to "bulb" (at
>the far end just past 30 seconds).
>
I see no Bulb just past 30 seconds. On my D7000, set on shutter priority, there is an x250 after the 30 second marker; no B or bulb.
>

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 07-Nov-11 07:04 AM
4108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Long Exposure"
In response to Reply # 2

Seattle, WA, US

>I see no Bulb just past 30 seconds. On my D7000, set on
>shutter priority, there is an x250 after the 30 second marker;
>no B or bulb.

You need to be in Manual exposure mode to use "bulb".

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED

airehead Registered since 26th May 2011Mon 07-Nov-11 03:51 PM
#4. "RE: Long Exposure"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

Thanks so much.

sabbey51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jan 2010Wed 09-Nov-11 02:19 AM
534 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Long Exposure"
In response to Reply # 4

Saddle river, US

With the wireless IR remote and Bulb, the first press opens the shutter and the second closes it. Works just great; I recently did a bunch of star shots using it and my D7000.

dhmiller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2009Thu 10-Nov-11 11:33 PM
750 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Long Exposure"
In response to Reply # 5

US

But as noted, you really want a shutter release that has a timer and even an intervalometer so you don;t have to hold the button down. There are numerous models all over the Net.
DM

mikej1962 Registered since 04th Dec 2011Fri 23-Dec-11 06:38 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Long Exposure"
In response to Reply # 6

GB

Sorry to ask the same question.......... but even in manual mode, I still can't find the 'bulb' setting.I get the___ for 'time ', then x250, but definately no bulb.Is 'bulb ' actually displayed? or is just activated with the pressing of the remote control? Thanks

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Fri 23-Dec-11 06:51 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Long Exposure"
In response to Reply # 7
Fri 23-Dec-11 06:53 PM by Gamecocks

Joanna, US

Stay in manual mode and rotate the rear dial clockwise; bulb shows after 30". My camera shows bulb after the 30" and then x320.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

mikej1962 Registered since 04th Dec 2011Fri 23-Dec-11 08:05 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Long Exposure"
In response to Reply # 8

GB

The only way I've found( just now that is) is to 1st set Mup, then turn the rear dial as you say.
Then I see 'bulb' displayed.
However, I then can't t use the remote release, I have to press and hold the shutter manually.That can't be rigby, can it?

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Fri 23-Dec-11 10:20 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Long Exposure"
In response to Reply # 9

Joanna, US

For the remote to work go into the shooting menu and scroll to Remote control mode, hit ok, scroll to Remote mirror-up and hit ok if you want the remote & mirror up feature; if only remote is needed use either of the other options . This will allow you to use your remote as long as you have the Mode Dial set to remote. The mode dial should be turned to M for you to access the bulb (see p. 77-83 in manual). Good luck.

John

mikej1962 Registered since 04th Dec 2011Sat 24-Dec-11 05:10 AM
#11. "RE: Long Exposure"
In response to Reply # 10

GB

Thank you for your reply John. I've done exactly what you've said, and got the long exposure to work.Just to clarify though, I still only see the -- symbol for 'time',not 'bulb'.
When I press the remote now I can hear the mirror rise first,then a click as the shutter opens.I then press the remote again to close the shutter.Job done.

Thanks again.
Mike

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sat 24-Dec-11 12:50 PM
#12. "RE: Long Exposure"
In response to Reply # 11

Joanna, US

Hi Mike,

Glad to hear you've made progress. Not certain why you're not seeing "bulb". I'm not certain why the -- symbols show up but while checking on your situation I got my screen to show the same -- symbols once but the rest of the time it shows bulb. Try turning the mode dial from M to another setting and then back to M while turning the rear wheel - Perhaps someone else has a thought regarding this action?

John

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sat 24-Dec-11 05:19 PM
#13. "RE: Long Exposure"
In response to Reply # 11

Joanna, US

See if this helps: by experimenting I find that if I have the mode dial set to remote control I get the -- symbol whereas if the dial is on self-timer or Mup I get bulb.

John

mikej1962 Registered since 04th Dec 2011Sat 24-Dec-11 07:24 PM
#14. "RE: Long Exposure"
In response to Reply # 13

GB

Yes,that's what I've found too. I also got bulb with the release dial set to S,CL,CH. In fact it was pretty much only in Remote setting that I couldn't get bulb.Shouldn't bulb be one of the most important settings in Remote mode????? Still -- works fine so no worries.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 24-Dec-11 09:39 PM
2888 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Long Exposure"
In response to Reply # 14

Hatboro, Pa, US

Remote mode is only used when using the wireless ML-L3 remote control. Check your manual on pages 7 and 77.

Bulb is a shutter speed that you control. You don't need a remote control to use Bulb.

Len

Ragarm Registered since 24th Dec 2011Sun 25-Dec-11 02:56 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Long Exposure"
In response to Reply # 0

US

See:
- page 80 of the User's Manual for the Remote Mirror-up option.
- page 81 for the remote control mode
- page 77 for the remote control setting on the release mode dial

I just now made it work on all four of these modes: P, S, A, and M, although it functions a little differently on each. I have the Remote Mirror-up option enabled in the menus.

Take care, ..../Dan

mikej1962 Registered since 04th Dec 2011Sun 25-Dec-11 10:09 PM
#17. "RE: Long Exposure"
In response to Reply # 13

GB

Yes, thats exactly what I get.
Mike

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Tue 20-Mar-12 11:23 PM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Long Exposure"
In response to Reply # 12

GB

Turn to M on the mode dial, then turn the main command dial (thumb wheel) to get 'bulb' display just between 30'' and x250 to get bulb.

You cannot hold the shutter opens because the camera will vibrate even you hold your breath.

I don't understand why Nikon don't manufacture the shutter release button with a screw hole for mechanical shutter release cable. The old film cameras such as FM2N, F3 etc. all have this feature.

It is a bit useless to have a bulb function but cannot use it without a remote control unit.

I also don't understand why D7000 cannot be programmed to expose longer than 30 secs. I have not search through the printed paper or PDF manual yet, but I searched through the menu in Interval Exposure and Self-Timer functions and still couldn't figure out how to get the camera to shoot longer than 30 seconds, without using remote control unit.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 20-Mar-12 11:53 PM
8473 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Long Exposure"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I typically use Aperture priority, but for a long exposure using Bulb, I use Shutter priority. Manual works, but requires you to choose teh aperture.

Generally you would use the lowest ISO - ISO 200 or lower.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Thu 22-Mar-12 12:04 AM
489 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Long Exposure"
In response to Reply # 5

Simcoe, CA

You still can't do an exposure longer than 30 seconds, can you? How would you get star trails longer than 30 seconds then, without intervalometer?

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 22-Mar-12 01:10 AM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Long Exposure"
In response to Reply # 20

Chicago, US

Multiple exposures and image stacking software.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Lempa Registered since 27th Oct 2011Fri 23-Mar-12 11:53 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Long Exposure"
In response to Reply # 19
Sat 24-Mar-12 01:01 AM by Lempa

Malmö, SE

>I typically use Aperture priority, but for a long exposure
>using Bulb, I use Shutter priority. Manual works, but
>requires you to choose teh aperture.

Eric, I just wonder how the exposure meter will choose aperture when using bulb with shutter priority, as it can't know for how long you will have the shutter open, hence giving correct exposure by setting the aperture depending on the given shutter time, until the picture has actually already been taken (in theory that is)?

/Timmy

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #13188 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.