Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #10686
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?" Previous topic | Next topic
dnavarria Basic MemberThu 07-Jul-11 07:03 PM
432 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"

Wellsville, US

I see a Neewer Vertical Battery Grip for Nikon D7000 for under $60. on Amazon. Does anybody have hands on experience using one of these or another 3rd party? How does it compare to the Nikon? Do you think it could present electrical circuitry problems?

Do you get what you pay for" Or, is Nikon that much overpriced?

Thanks in advance.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Thu 07-Jul-11 07:51 PM
1456 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 07-Jul-11 07:51 PM by four eighty sparky

US

I got one from LinkDelight for $60. I love it.

The only issue I have is the rear command dial works opposite the camera dial.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 07-Jul-11 10:41 PM
3301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

I have that exact unit. It is branded as Meike and the dealer is Neewer.
I ordered mine from Amazon and it arrived in 4 days. It was packed in a padded envelope and seemed suitably packaged.
The grip is well finished with closely mated edges of the thick gauge plastic shell parts. The rubber grip areas fit well and were thick textured rubber. It came with a carrier for AA cells and one for the normal Nikon battery.
Screwing the grip onto the D7000 resulted in the combination feeling tight and solid. The AE-L/AF-L button seems a little small because the molding of the ridge just to the right side of the button is a little higher than the button. I think that is needed to prevent accidentally pushing the button when in landscape orientation. The shutter release seems closer to the D90 than the D7000 in required pressure but is sure and solid feeling. By switching the function of the button to AF-On, it is much easier and more natural to use than the strange placement of the body version of the button, for use as AF control. It is in the right place on the grip, where it ought to be on the body, close to the shutter release.
The control wheels seem to be just like the ones in the camera in both feel and operational direction.
If there is any nit to pick it is the thumb wheel that attaches the grip to the tripod threaded receiver. Since it is geared, when the bolt is tight, the wheel has some play and can rattle a little. I think it will be easy to dampen.
The grip transforms compact sized camera to be a pro style holding and mass, and has a great feel. The design that requires removing the grip to remove and recharge the camera mounted battery in all the camera models that have the flush mounted contacts(D300, 7000 and D700)means the grip will have to be removed regularly to get to the battery. If not for that common triat I doubt it would ever come off the camera. My Zeikos grip on my D90 has only been off once.
After using it for 10 days I would recommend it to anyone who wants to increase the handling stability and orientation options of their D7000. Regardless of price, it does exactly what it claims and does it very well. With it mounted the whole appearance of the camera looks as serious as the specs and features suggest.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

dnavarria Basic MemberThu 07-Jul-11 11:15 PM
432 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "Thanks for such a detailed overview..."
In response to Reply # 2

Wellsville, US

I feel more confident buying one after reading it. Since you have experience with the unit that I was looking at on Amazon, do you feel the electrical circuitry is okay? I may seem a little over cautious, but I don't want to void the Nikon warranty.

Thanks so much again

dnavarria Basic MemberThu 07-Jul-11 11:16 PM
#4. "Thanks..."
In response to Reply # 1

Wellsville, US

for the input.

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Fri 08-Jul-11 12:55 AM
1456 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Thanks for such a detailed overview..."
In response to Reply # 3

US

Well, technically, if there's a problem, it will void your Nikon warranty.

But I'll venture a guess that the after-market grips are made by the same company that makes 'em for Nikon.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

dnavarria Basic MemberFri 08-Jul-11 01:03 AM
#6. "How could Nikon..."
In response to Reply # 5

Wellsville, US

even know that it wasn't used with their own grip? And, I tend to agree with you that it probably is made by the same company.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 08-Jul-11 02:24 AM
3301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: How could Nikon..."
In response to Reply # 6

St Petersburg, RU

I doubt these are made by the same company, they are lighter than the Nikon MB-D11.
This comments always comes up when justifying factory sold items; warranty is void if the 3rd party item causes the problem. That is good in theory but how would a camera tech know what the cause was, they have enough to learn to deal with the details of the optics and mechanics and would never have the time, training or diagnostic equipment to diagnose to the component level in electronics. Heck, electronic techs usually don't either nowadays because it is not cost effective when whole next-higher-assemblies are replaced as major functional blocks. A $0.005 diode goes out in your main board and the normal repair is to replace the entire $350 pc board and tack on the $200 labor. Camera shops do not stock detail parts in electronics, that requires a whole different level of training, and lab style test instruments.
The story is repeated so often it becomes the stuff of myths and assumed it is a real risk. Fist off, the grip is not rocket science, it is a very simple circuit where the logic is in the camera not the grip. The expensive part in producing grips or other knock off items is the molds for the cases. A precision Class A mold is very expensive to make. That is one reason I specifically noticed and reported the fit and trim of the plastic case. It fits perfectly and the edges are precision....that is the most difficult and expensive thing to reproduce...get that right, and there is little additional effort needed to get the rest right.
Has anyone had a verified case of warranty being denied because of a 3rd party battery, lens or grip was used? I am sure a camera mechanic somewhere has used that as an excuse to get out of fixing something that he would rather go away or where they are stumped. There are possibilities in every diagnostic job where there is low levels of training and end product cost is low.

palmerfralick Registered since 14th Dec 2009Sat 09-Jul-11 04:39 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Thanks for such a detailed overview..."
In response to Reply # 3

US

After reading km6xz's review I bought the amazon version. fits as well as oem. works fine. if you nit pick, the rubber covering pattern does not match exactly. otherwise i am happy with the 2 Nippon Kogaku vintage lens' I got with what I saved by not buying the Nikon grip. overall because of the oem pricing an excellent buy.

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Sat 09-Jul-11 06:00 PM
#9. "RE: How could Nikon..."
In response to Reply # 7

US

>I doubt these are made by the same company, they are lighter
>than the Nikon MB-D11.

Maybe because they're plastic and not metal. Using one doesn't preclude the maker from using the other.

>Has anyone had a verified case of warranty being denied
>because of a 3rd party battery, lens or grip was used?

I never claimed it had. Perhaps if someone had a problem with their camera and sent it to Nikon, replete with 3-party grip installed, there might be an issue. But I don't work at repair facilities for a living, so I can't speak to it.

Visit my website.

RYnikon Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Oct 2003Thu 28-Jul-11 09:23 PM
253 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Pittsford, US

I got the Neewer grip from New Harbor on Amazon.com.
Works very well, perfect solid fit.
My only complaint was that this merchant shipped parcel post, and did not make that clear up front. It came from New Jersey to Rochester NY (western NY), which is a 1 day postal journey, then sat in a distribution center here for a week before it was delivered. My experience with other camera/tech orders has been shipment via First Class or Priority Mail, so I was expecting to receive it in 2-3 days max, and missed a weekend's use of it.

Robb
Photography: technically fine art!

Porceliamone Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jul 2011Fri 29-Jul-11 05:07 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 29-Jul-11 05:08 PM by Porceliamone

GB

I purchased a very expensive fake (that purported to be genuine) from ebay. It had everything genuine, including the Nikon box, manual, warranty etc but something didn't feel right so I went to a shop in the UK (Jessops) and directly compared one off their shelf with the 'genuine' one I had purchased.

As it goes I raised a dispute with the seller for false advertising and they refunded me without me having to return it, (so free grip for me!) but it's so close to the real thing that it's almost impossible to tell without direct comparison.

Sure it's not magnesium alloy but frankly that's about it. It weighs the same, looks identical and works the same.

The function buttons aren't quite as high quality admitedly and the rubber isn't quite flush but overall the grip is virtually identical.

I'm guessing if third party grips are anything like mine then a price of around $60 is very reasonable.

You pay for what you get I guess the saying goes. I might one day get the real thing but for now the bank balance dictates I stick with my 'free one'.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Fri 29-Jul-11 08:15 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lafayette, US

After reading Stan's and other reviews I bought one. I really like it. The feel is very good. Now, I look even MORE like a photographer.

Maybe with enough study and practice, one day I will be a photographer?

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

fstbckgt Registered since 22nd Jul 2011Thu 04-Aug-11 02:09 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 12

Honolulu, US

Is anyone having trouble with the memory card access light staying on when the grip is is attached and the cam itself is turned off?

gregor1 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2009Fri 12-Aug-11 02:44 PM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 13

Ringwood, US

I too am having a problem with the memory card access light (green) blinking after I have mounted the battery grip. I have purchased the Zeikos made in China. Is this the brand you have? I was just about ready to contact the seller and report a defective product.

Does anyone know if this is a dangerous (to the camera) situation?

fstbckgt Registered since 22nd Jul 2011Sat 13-Aug-11 12:57 PM
#15. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 14

Honolulu, US

the dials on mine were also failing to work properly, i mailed it back. Time to save up for the real deal

gregor1 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2009Sat 13-Aug-11 03:30 PM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 15

Ringwood, US

Was it a Neewer or Zeikos?

Longshot1000 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jun 2011Sat 20-Aug-11 04:23 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 16

Bartlett, US

I bought the Neewer from Amazon and it lasted about a week before it stopped working. The battery was still working and showing up on the display, but none of the buttons were functional. I sent it back and they replaced it. I haven't used the new one enough to pas judgement, but if this one fails, it will be returned for a refund and I'll buy the real thing...

D7000 (2)
Nikon D70S
AF-S 12-24 f4
AF-S 17-55 f2.8
AF-S 18-200 VRII f3.5-5.6
AF-S 70-200 VRII f2.8
AF-S 35mm f1.8G
AF-D 50mm f1.8D
AF-D 50mm f1.4D
AF-S 18-55 VR

jmesseder2 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2011Fri 09-Sep-11 02:31 AM
122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 17

Gettysburg, US

>I bought the Neewer from Amazon and it lasted about a week
>before it stopped working. ...

I'm finding what appears to be the grip in this discussion, from BestDealUSA, USD43.33 + $0.50 shipping.

I'm going to look at a couple more threads, but I'll probably go for it, though I suspect for $.50, shipping will be the same as New Harbor.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 09-Sep-11 09:24 PM
#19. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 17

St Petersburg, RU

Control info is sent by the multi-conductor plug and socket connector assembly. There is very little inside to cause a problem with switches so the logical guess would be oxide buildup on the contacts from storage before shipment, like what happened with a lot of 18-105vr lenses in D90 kits. A light application of deoxidizer like Caig Laboratories D-5 would likely take care that minor and normal issue. Industries which depend on a lot of connectors and plugs, like broadcast, recording studios and pa sound companies live on the stuff, because all metallic connectors are subject to some oxidation, particularly if unused for a while.
That being said, I still have not had any problem with either of my 3rd party grips. But eventually I know I will need to treat the connectors, like on every piece of electronics I have. The D90 Zeikos has 75,000 shots on it and my D7000 with grip does not get as much usage, about 8,000 shots and has been flawless. The majority of shots are in vertical orientation with both cameras so at least I know the AF-L/AE-L button(AF-On) and the shutter release can take it.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

wmcy Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2006Sat 10-Sep-11 05:37 AM
797 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 19

Charlotte, US

I purchased the Zeikos version. After only a few uses, the clasp on the battery tray broke off in my hand. After several calls and an email, I was advised to return it to Zeikos (NJ address) for a replacement. A return shipping fee was requested, but after I protested, they waived it.

I am awaiting the replacement grip. I will update the forum in the near future.

Wm.

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Sat 17-Sep-11 03:53 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Canton, US

I have had the original Nikon battery grip and I had to sell it. Now I have a Meike grip and I must say it is very close to the original, so much so that I would say Nikon is fleecing people with an overpriced grip.

Granted, I have only had the grip a day, but having handled the original, and now a knockoff, I see very little difference in feel, handling, and quality between the two. Plus I can buy at least 5 more for the price I paid for the Nikon. And I will even go so far as to say the knockoff is more secure on my camera than the original! I could make the MB-D11 move around a bit just in normal handling. No such play in my Meike. Sure, the lock wheel is loosey-goosey, but that has no effect on handling. It just rattles a bit if you shake the camera, but who cares unless you are moving around trying to get a photo of an elusive animal in the wild.

So if you are on the fence about original vs knockoff, let me knock you off that fence. Go buy a Meike!

George

ScottsFJ40 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Sep 2007Wed 21-Sep-11 08:02 PM
275 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 21

Olympia, US

Based on all the comments here, comments on Amazon and the price of the Nikon version, I have ordered the Neewar version from Amazon.

I do have a question, has anyone used it with any of the L brackets on the market?

Scott Wood
www.scottwoodphotography.com
Twitter: Scott_Wood

TheDraftsman Registered since 20th Jan 2011Mon 26-Sep-11 08:46 PM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 22

middlesex, US

I just ordered today from Cameta Camera one of their package deals.
A D7000 Zeikos Grip with a Nikon EL15 Battery plus some other stuff
like a cheap tripod and lens cleaning kit all included. I will post
pics of the grip in this thread it comes in this week.

Visit Current D90 Set-up.

http://fototime.com/{04CF383D-D221-4184-A88C-5F1B6AFC4AE4}/origpict/proudownerfinal.png

jules Basic MemberMon 26-Sep-11 09:34 PM
967 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 23

GB

Can I ask, do all third party grips control dials work the opposite way, or is there one that works the same as Nikons?
Not buying just interested in how close to the real thing you can get, there's some big savings to be had!
I have the Nikon Grip, by the way, at least I think I do!
There's no way your going to make me look.
No not me I'm not going to go and check.
I've got to go.....

Cheers jules...
tri-elmar-fudd
www.exaggeratedperspectives.co.uk

ScottsFJ40 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Sep 2007Mon 26-Sep-11 09:51 PM
275 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 24

Olympia, US

I have had the Neewar one from Amazon for a few days now and yes, the dials do work in reverse to the camera, but for a difference of $210 I can live with that.

I am actually very impressed with the fit and finish of this grip, looks very natural on the camera. I haven't shot with it long enough yet to know how it will stand up to some of the harsh conditions I put my cameras in, but even if it has issues, for $41 I can't complain, much.

Scott Wood

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Mon 26-Sep-11 11:55 PM
#26. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 24

US

>Can I ask, do all third party grips control dials work the
>opposite way, or is there one that works the same as Nikons?

With mine, the rear dial is opposite. Some have the front dial in reverse, and some have both.

Visit my website.

TheDraftsman Registered since 20th Jan 2011Tue 27-Sep-11 07:39 PM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

middlesex, US

Pg.233 or about...it clearly states menu f6 can be used to change
direction of the command dials including on the MB-D11.

I haven't got my grip yet but are you people saying it doen't work
with third party grips? Or, nobody even tried it yet?

http://fototime.com/{04CF383D-D221-4184-A88C-5F1B6AFC4AE4}/origpict/proudownerfinal.png

ScottsFJ40 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Sep 2007Tue 27-Sep-11 08:48 PM
#28. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 27

Olympia, US

I tried it on mine, but it reverses both of them, thus they are still opposite of each other, just in the other direction.

Scott Wood

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Wed 28-Sep-11 12:18 AM
#29. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 27

US

>Pg.233 or about...it clearly states menu f6 can be used to
>change
> direction of the command dials including on the MB-D11.
>
>I haven't got my grip yet but are you people saying it doen't
>work
> with third party grips? Or, nobody even tried it yet?

It does, but it reverses both dials. If you reverse the front dial on the camera, the dial on the grip will be reversed as well.

Visit my website.

TheDraftsman Registered since 20th Jan 2011Wed 28-Sep-11 02:07 AM
#30. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 28

middlesex, US

>I tried it on mine, but it reverses both of them, thus they
>are still opposite of each other, just in the other
>direction.

Got it. Thanks for the heads up. For the price of the grip I can live with it. I wonder if its actually something done on purpose to "allow" the sale of these third party grips.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 29-Sep-11 07:08 PM
#31. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 29

St Petersburg, RU

After all the comments about dial direction I really could not remember it being any different. So I had to test it and found that mine is reversed but never noticed. All I know is that is always worked such that I never had to think about the direction. I probably would never have discovered it myself because it seems so natural.

I was shooting an event for the prior 3 days and cranked off about 1400 shots of which about half were landscape orientation and it never dawned on me that anything was different.
One good thing about it, another shooter was there with her 7D. She tried the D7000 with grip while I grabbed a bite to eat. She had no problem with it either but did not know where the menu options were. After 10 minutes she offered to trade. Not sure if it was the camera, the SB900 or the Black Rapid but she was most impressed with the package. The gripped camera looked awfully big in her hands but she had no problem with handling. Today we exchanged a lot of the photos since she needs to publish a group of them and it was obvious exposure was much more consistent with the Nikon. She had a lot of images that needed a lot of post work that brought shadow noise up to unacceptable levels. Maybe we have a convert but regardless, she had not problem with the dials being reversed either.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

wmcy Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2006Wed 05-Oct-11 10:21 PM
797 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 31

Charlotte, US

Update:

After receiving a second Zeikos grip (the battery tray clasp broke on the first one), I can not use the Nikon battery on the replacement. Only the AA batteries/tray work. This product has been a total failure for me. This is just my experience, but I wanted others to know as you assess your options for a third party grip. My experience was so negative with Zeikos customer service re the first problem (broken clasp) that I've decided to not even bother with trying to get a third grip. Saving up now for the Nikon version. Needless to say, I do not recommend this product.

Wm.

dnavarria Basic MemberWed 05-Oct-11 10:32 PM
#33. "I ended up getting the Zeikos from Amazon..."
In response to Reply # 32

Wellsville, US

...I started this thread questioning it, and it's been fine. I am careful that the contacts are aligned before I put it on (I don't leave it on for several reasons) but I would be just as careful if I had the Nikon. Overall, I'm impressed, especially for the price. I couldn't imagine the Nikon working any better. Of course, with the Nikon, if anything goes wrong you get to talk with those nice (yeah, right) people at Nikon USA repair.

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Thu 06-Oct-11 05:35 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

I have tried the Neewer grip and found the construction of the battery latch to be a fatal flaw. It has been returned and I ordered the Nikon version. I really wanted to save some money but the design of the plastic latch is really poor. Any replacement part would have the same problem. I imagine I could be very careful and avoid it breaking in the future but it was so easy to crack I'm sure I could not get a reasonable service life out of it.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

jodylud Registered since 07th Sep 2011Thu 06-Oct-11 11:53 AM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 34

US

Thank you Dean for the close-up photos. I recently acquired this grip and am very careful of the plastic latch having been pre-warned about it's fragility. I have to say that it appears to be the 'only' weakness in the grip that I've noticed so far.

Could you possibly post a comparison photo of the Nikon latch? Thanks again.

jmesseder2 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2011Thu 06-Oct-11 08:29 PM
122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 35

Gettysburg, US

I have just received my Meike/Neewer grip. It does, indeed, feel like, well, a $40 grip in a $200+ market. I can see that the plastic lock might be a little fragile, but I installed a new EL15 in the supplied tray and locked it and it seems secure without a need to twist it hard.

One down side: the camera/grip combo does not fit in my LowePro 200 AW pack. A minor problem, I think. I can carry the grip, with a second EL15 battery installed, in another pocket, but it's worth knowing that if the D7000 fits snugly in a pack pocket, the extra grip likely will not fit.

John Messeder, JAFPR, MBS
Freelance multimedia journalist
Gettysburg, PA, USA
Follow me on:
= www.RockTheCapital.com/
= www.facebook.com/jmesseder2
= www.twitter.com/john_messeder
= www.gplus.to/jmesseder2
= my Nikonians gallery

wmcy Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2006Fri 07-Oct-11 02:03 AM
#37. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
Fri 07-Oct-11 03:00 AM by wmcy

Charlotte, US

The issue Dean points out here is the same problem that I had with the Zeikos. There appear to be several happy users of third party grips. Then there are others stories of poor construction and even worse customer service. Buyers beware!

RYnikon Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Oct 2003Fri 07-Oct-11 02:58 AM
253 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"

Pittsford, US

Dean, that's awful. Thank you for sharing your experience. I appreciate knowing and will beware of breaking the latch on mine.

Yet I find that my latch feels sturdy, and works very smoothly. There may be a lot of sample variation with poor quality consistency in these cut-rate copies.

Robb
Photography: technically fine art!

jules Basic MemberFri 07-Oct-11 05:59 AM
967 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 38

GB

I bought the Nikon one and love it but I have to say the Neewer, Meilke or whatever they may be look pretty good too, and you can buy up to five of em for one Nikon one depending where you shop (UK). That should not be forgotten, that said they should not break and it shows a lack of care/corner cutting on behalf of the manufacturer. I think I'd learn to be be careful with the Latch/buy two differeent ones and return the one you didn't like? U.S. Returns policy is brilliant, Wish ours was like that!

Cheers jules...
tri-elmar-fudd
www.exaggeratedperspectives.co.uk

LeventEryilmaz Registered since 25th Oct 2011Tue 25-Oct-11 07:46 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 39

US

Beware battery drain issues with 3rd party grips. I have one and have battery drain problem too when I use two batteries. But it is a steal price, can't beat it.
Levent

TheDraftsman Registered since 20th Jan 2011Wed 26-Oct-11 05:05 PM
#41. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 26-Oct-11 09:36 PM by TheDraftsman

middlesex, US

Here is my new Zeikos Grip. Gotta' say I love it. Spent two hard
weeks with it on my D7000 with no problems. Battery fits nice, both
grip and body fit perfect and the "feel" of the rubber has a factory
feel to it. No problems with the dials and shutter button.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

friedbrains Registered since 08th Oct 2011Sat 29-Oct-11 06:05 AM
#42. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 41

VANCOUVER, CA

Those 3rd party power grips are indeed very much like the original! I have the original and the first thing I did when I put it on was to test the orientations of the dials! although i bought it from a nikon shop, one can never be sure because the 3rd party ones really looked the same!

Mekbuda40 Registered since 30th Oct 2011Thu 03-Nov-11 07:39 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#43. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

When i got my first D7K i also bought a genuine MB-D11 to go with it. When i got my second body I purchased a 3rd party grip from Hi-Pc off eBay. The only difference is the genuine MB-D11 is made of magnesium and its weather sealed. The 3rd party is plastic with no weather seals. I usually dont like to purchase 3rd party gear but for $40 and free shipping i made an exception and one that i am very happy with. If i had known about the 3rd party grip when i purchased my 1st body i would have got it instead. One thing i will say is dont get it from overseas. If you do and something goes wrong then you have to pay the return shipping and its not cheap. Other words you will end up having over a hundred dollars in a $40 grip if your not careful.

ColourBlindBilly Registered since 21st Oct 2011Fri 04-Nov-11 06:11 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#44. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 39

JP

The third party grips are cheap because they are constructed of cheap materials. I considered buying one myself until my friend at the camera store pointed out several returns of Zeiko brand grips with snapped battery compartment catches or malfunctioning dials. He's had no returns (yet of Nikon's Chinese built originals).
He also made the casual remark that most people only but these grips so that their D7000s look more like D3s at a distance... ha ha ha! I had to laugh, then I left the store empty-handed.

SaurianFire Registered since 11th Feb 2011Sat 05-Nov-11 11:40 AM
145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#45. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 44

US

>He also made the casual remark that most people only but these
>grips so that their D7000s look more like D3s at a distance...
>ha ha ha! I had to laugh, then I left the store empty-handed.

Its too bad you are so easily coaxed as the battery grip does improve the camera's ergonomics in some cases. It makes the camera more comfortable for people with larger hands and improves handling or balance with larger lenses.

So I guess the joke really is on you.

Respectfully,
Frank

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 05-Nov-11 11:50 AM
28771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#46. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"

Paignton, GB

To be fair, Nikon grips aren't immune from problems.

One of their earlier grips - the MB-D200 (for, not surprisingly, the D200) was notorious for having its battery retaining clips snap off. Of course, when something breaks the backup from Nikon is likely to be better than for an off-brand product. Nikon supplied replacement clips for the MB-D200 free in most instances

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

ColourBlindBilly Registered since 21st Oct 2011Sun 06-Nov-11 01:34 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#47. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 45

JP

>>He also made the casual remark that most people only but
>these
>>grips so that their D7000s look more like D3s at a
>distance...
>>ha ha ha! I had to laugh, then I left the store
>empty-handed.
>
>Its too bad you are so easily coaxed as the battery grip does
>improve the camera's ergonomics in some cases. It makes the
>camera more comfortable for people with larger hands and
>improves handling or balance with larger lenses.
>
>So I guess the joke really is on you.

Which may well all be quite true but even my good friend Kunio would be unable to give me the kind of discount that I currently enjoy from Nikon Direct, even if he'd had the genuine grip in stock.
Even so, I've had a tee-shirt printed that says in bold letters "GENUINE NIKON GRIP... NOT A CHEAP AND NASTY COPY INTENDED TO MAKE ME LOOK LIKE A WEALTHY D3 OWNER' that I wear when out and about in the big city... with winter coming, maybe I should consider a similar patch for my leather; I'm all about fashion.

SaurianFire Registered since 11th Feb 2011Sun 06-Nov-11 04:02 AM
145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#48. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 47

US

Forgive me. I didn't realize you were a Nikon fashion hound. I mistakenly thought you let your friend embarrass you into not buying a useful accessory for a much lower price.

Respectfully,
Frank

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 06-Nov-11 07:28 AM
#49. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"

St Petersburg, RU

Than your friend does not have a clue as to how much a grip improves functionality of the camera. Good person NOT to take advice from.
After 84,000 shots with a Zeiko grip on my D90 and 18,000 on the D7000 with another brand, both have fared very well and will likely last another 84,000 shots, likely longer than the camera. The first one was $55 and the Miele cost $60 from B&H instead of buying close to $500 in grips from Nikon, I was able to put the saved $400 into an additional SB900. Who should be laughing....?
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

ColourBlindBilly Registered since 21st Oct 2011Sun 06-Nov-11 04:46 PM
#50. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 48

JP

>Forgive me. I didn't realize you were a Nikon fashion hound.
>I mistakenly thought you let your friend embarrass you into
>not buying a useful accessory for a much lower price.

Not hound, but hog. Actually, I think he was embarrassed at having more returns behind his counter than new stock.
After a cursory search through various on-line retailers here in Japan, it seems there are at least three different varieties of third-party D7000 grips around, possibly as many as five. Most carry no brand name whatsoever but, though they come in a variety of different boxes, it is likely that they all originate from the same source. Only vendors carrying branded grips had customer comments, but generally favourable.
The only thread I could find on the subject of D7000 grips, on an enthusiast site, heavily favoured Nikon's original product, but mention was made of two brands that seemed satisfactory: Zeiko and Meike I believe. Several people complained of a poor fit to their D7000 base-plate and poor stability when tripod mounted without specifying which particular third-party brand they'd bought. Mind you, I wouldn't like to trust to pod stability with the genuine article!
None of which convinces me that paying four times as much for the real thing was anything less than sensible. I mean, if cost was so much more important than quality (or, indeed, looking dead cool), we'd all be toting Sony Alphas, would we not.

ColourBlindBilly Registered since 21st Oct 2011Sun 06-Nov-11 05:02 PM
#51. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 49

JP

>Than your friend does not have a clue as to how much a grip
>improves functionality of the camera. Good person NOT to take
>advice from....

Oh dear... I can't imagine what is worse: being poor or being immune to satire.

Toolking Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Oct 2008Mon 14-Nov-11 01:08 AM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#52. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 49
Thu 17-Nov-11 05:33 PM by briantilley

US

Ok I'll bite. Why exactly do I need a grip? What do I gain? I put 8K shots through my D80 and so far 3K on my new D7000. I resisted buying one of these for my recent trip to Europe opting to spend the money and a bunch more on a 10-24 Ultra-wide.
Flame away.

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Mon 14-Nov-11 02:32 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#53. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 52

Phoenix, US

As to why a grip is valuable to me, the stability and improved handholding are great but I really wanted the extra battery capacity. While the D7000 has wonderful battery life I have just returned from a 5 day trip where I had no access to power to do any recharging and the ability to swap out a tray full of AA batteries and keep on shooting was invaluable to me. I even did some time lapse work on successive nights where the camera was shooting for as much as 8 hours with plenty of reserve even at 40 deg. F.

I have a lot to learn about time lapse but here is a link to my 1st effort...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGGh3NlIaI8

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

meohman1 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 14-Nov-11 04:30 AM
506 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#54. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 14-Nov-11 04:36 AM by meohman1

Luling, US

>I see a Neewer Vertical Battery Grip for Nikon D7000 for
>under $60. on Amazon. Does anybody have hands on experience
>using one of these or another 3rd party? How does it compare
>to the Nikon? Do you think it could present electrical
>circuitry problems?
>
>Do you get what you pay for" Or, is Nikon that much
>overpriced?
>
>Thanks in advance.

I bought this from B & H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/771956-REG/Bower_XBGN7000_Professional_Battery_Grip_for.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

It also comes with the EN-EL15A rechargeable battery and a charger and a cord that plugs right into to side of the grip. So far - so good for me. I have a D300 with the dedicated Nikon High $$$ battery grip, and a D90 with the dedicated Nikon high $$$ battery grip - this is my first try at a third party grip - so far, this is a steal, because it comes with a battery - the whole package is less than 100 bucks - battery, charger, grip. My D7000 is (for the most part) a #2 backup (D90 is now #3 - love my D300), so it won't see heavy duty. I haven't experienced any problems with the exception that the D7000 menu doesn't really know how to deal with the grip/ENEL15A - nor do I for that matter. But that is minor - I set the camera to use the grip battery first, then the camera battery - I will know when I am getting low! I have seen the display show a red battery low warning - that was my fault - I left the camera on and connected to the PC with the USB cable.

Mike

Photography by Mike - My Nikonians Gallery

ARMONDJG Registered since 05th Apr 2008Tue 15-Nov-11 12:07 AM
#55. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 53

RIO DE JANEIRO, BR

I have used the BH type grip for over a month- no problems and the big rechargeable battery is almost impossible to run down! A great Item!!

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 15-Nov-11 04:08 AM
#56. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 52

St Petersburg, RU

You don't need a grip on any camera that does not have one built-in.
The people who do buy them seem to love the addition. There are several reasons, one being the ease of holding in any orientation because of extending of hand holding area. Most people's right hand is larger than the stock grip area and 1-2 fingers are left hanging. The battery grip allows steadier holding in any orientation and lower minimum shutter speed.
Another reason allowing the right arm to be held in close to the body when in both landscape and portriat mode. This reduces minimum shutter speed at which you can still get a shot without camera motion blur.

Being able to use AF-on focusing method when in portrait orientation is the best feature of a grip for many of us. The button is in the perfect spot, better than where the button is placed in landscape orientation.

Having full control of the active focus point and command dials in both orientations is an real advantage also.

Having greater flexibility in choice of batteries, abd use of AA cells makes it essential for those who might be working away from AC power for extended periods of time.

For me, using heavier lenses allows the camera and lens to have a better balance and makes one handed shots possible when needed.
There are probably more reasons people like them but these are the reasons I ordered the grip the same day I got the D7000.

You might not need any of these features so there is not reason to feel you need a grip.

Nikon apparently thinks it is pretty important because they build one into all of their pro cameras....D3, D3x, D2 and make an add on available as soon they release their new semi-pro and enthusiast cameras like the D300, D700, D200, D7000, D90
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

browntdb Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2009Thu 17-Nov-11 05:14 PM
224 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#57. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 56
Thu 17-Nov-11 05:33 PM by briantilley

Corvallis, US

I read and reread this thread and finally decided to spend the rather modest sum to purchase a Meike grip. I had never used a grip before. AMAZING! I re-read the thread and especially the quote above where Stan so completely described what I have found to be true with the grip. I had no idea it would help me get more stable shots in both orientations. I take far more landscape photos than portrait mode shots, but even those are better with the grip. Right now, I am not a person who shoots thousands of shots on my camera. Therefore, I have not had a need for a second battery in the grip. That lightens the weight as well.

I do have one question that I hope an experienced user of one of the non-Nikon grips could tell me. If I purchase six Alkaline AA batteries and just keep in case my primary battery runs low, how long will the AA batteries last if I only shoot through the viewfinder and keep the display of my completed shot to the minimum? I know this can vary with many things, but a range would be helpful. Thanks,

Terry

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Fri 18-Nov-11 01:58 AM
#58. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 57
Fri 18-Nov-11 02:09 AM by DeanAZ

Phoenix, US

I don't have a calculation on how long they will last but I would like to offer some points to consider.

Alkaline batteries have a high rating in the range of 2 - 2.5 AH but they can only deliver this rated capacity at lower current rates. A full tray of 6 AAs will give you 9V to start and will run down to 6V as they discharge.

The Nikon lithium-ion battery has a capacity of 1.90 AH at 7V. These things run forever in my D7000.

NiMH batteries have a rating of between 2 and 2.5AH also but are capable of delivering more current than alkaline batteries before they must be de-rated. NiMH have a cell voltage of 1.2V but their discharge curve is much flatter than that of an alkaline battery. (They can deliver the 1.2V over almost all of the time under load until they discharge.)

Digital cameras are devices that have a high current requirement and typically eat up alkaline batteries.

So, I would say that a tray full of alkaline batteries would last for a shorter time than the Nikon lithium battery and some rechargeable NiMH batteries would last as long or longer than the Nikon battery and certainly longer than the alkaline cells.

As stated in the SB600 user manual alkaline batteries deliver 200 flashes and NiMH deliver 220. I think a similar correlation between the number of flashes and the run time of the camera could be reasonably assumed.

But since you just would be using them as a backup I think the alkaline cells would work fine and they are cheap and have a long shelf life without discharging. If you have an external flash or find that you are using up the alkalines at a faster rate it would be cheaper in the long run to get some rechargeables.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

jodylud Registered since 07th Sep 2011Fri 18-Nov-11 01:25 PM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#59. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 53

US

I loved your time lapsed video Dean. I would like to attempt a video myself this weekend. Could you please share your specs?

rich53081 Registered since 06th Oct 2009Fri 18-Nov-11 09:46 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#60. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 41

US

I just picked one up and love it it feels nice but that plastic door is kinda weak

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011Mon 28-Nov-11 04:56 AM
445 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#62. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 54

Chula Vista, US

I've had my Meike grip for about 5 months now. Highly recommended. BTW - I've also use a Blackrapid strap connected to the Meike and a 80-200mm lens attached (no tripod foot) without problems and no signs of wear.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

bassman1946 Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2007Sat 10-Dec-11 06:08 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#63. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 62

Petersburg, US

I think that by reading this thread, I saved myself some shipping cost. I have a battery grip that is supposedly a Nikon one, but it is plastic. The main button has gone bad and was going to ship to Nikon for repairs. Mine is plastic, and some of you say that all Nikons are Magnesium. I bought it as a genuine Nikon. Is the metal part true for all genuine Nikon grips?

ScottsFJ40 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Sep 2007Thu 15-Dec-11 01:59 AM
#64. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 63

Olympia, US

After all the good things I had to say about the aftermarket grip, the battery clip broke tonight after only a few weeks of real use. Guess it is time to save up for a real Nikon one.

Scott Wood

billr814 Registered since 05th Dec 2011Wed 04-Jan-12 10:15 PM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#65. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 64

US

got mine from adorama....bower....$91...with its own battery pack....wks fantastic...

gorilla_skater Registered since 31st Oct 2006Thu 05-Jan-12 04:12 AM
56 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#66. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 65

Glastonbury, US

The battery clip on my NEEWER just broke.

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011Fri 06-Jan-12 03:52 PM
445 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#67. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 66

Chula Vista, US

The battery compartment locking handle on my Meike grip broke this morning. However I can still lock and unlock it farily easily.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

NDGraham Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2007Sun 10-Jun-12 02:43 PM
612 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#68. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 13

Dorval (Montreal), CA

Yes, I have the same problem. The green memory card access light next to the "info" word flashes randomly. This concerns me especially with the reports of excessive battery draining using this Meike grip.

I tend to be sensitive about the delicate electronics in our cameras and lenses notwithstanding the fact that they seem to be incredibly hardy under normal usage conditions. So this flashing green light bothered me enough to take off the Meike grip for fear of it indicating some kind of loose contact or other circuit problem that might compromise my 6 month old D7000.

I decided that I will only use the Meike grip with AA batteries as a backup if my two Nikon EN-EL3e batteries run down during a prolonged fieldtrip without access to an electricity plug. That's just my personal choice.

Although I have read many accounts here in Nikonians and elsewhere about this issue, I have not seen anyone say that their camera was damaged by these grips even though several posters have said that the grip died or drained the battery or that the little plastic locking tab broke off.

So I would also like to request anyone with technical savvy to say what this flashing light really indicates and if it is hazardous in any way. That would settle the issue for me.

To Stan and the others who are happy with their Meike grips, cheers. To the rest of us, hmmm...

Neill
Proud to be a Montreal Nikonian
http://picasaweb.google.com/NeillDGraham

jdphotos Registered since 12th Jun 2012Wed 13-Jun-12 03:56 AM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#69. "RE: How could Nikon..."
In response to Reply # 9

US

I have to agree that they are manufactured by other party. Otherwise, they probably list as OEM.

mrpenguin Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012Wed 13-Jun-12 06:11 PM
252 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#70. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 67

Windsor, CA

I dont have one for my D7000 but I did have one for my D90 and I loved it.
I did not know they were available for the D7000 yet, I will definitely get myself one, now I am just waiting for one for the D800 as well.

Visit Windsor wedding photographer.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 14-Jun-12 03:39 AM
#71. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 70

St Petersburg, RU

So far, I have not seen any alternative sources for D800 grips. $600 for a grip is outrageous and some mold makers are busy getting some product ready. Maybe they will produce one that is all metal for $150 and steal the entire market from Nikon.
The D800 is just too small without one but after adding a hand strap the second day of owning it, for $19 I must say I got used to not having the grip pretty fast. When I pick up the D7000 with grip however, it just feels much better balanced and hits the hand better than the smallish D800. The hand strap helps stability in the meantime while waiting for reasonably priced grip.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Peterg15 Registered since 06th Jun 2012Sun 17-Jun-12 07:20 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#72. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 71

GB

I was interested in your comment about the D7000 feeling better balanced with a battery grip, I am sure that when the grip is fitted the camera is more stable, the extra weight provides more inertia which will make the camera less prone to movement when shooting without a tripod
Personally, the only third-party accessories I buy are lenses, I have the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro lens and the Tokina 11-16mm wide-angle, both of which provide great shots

purple5ive Registered since 07th Jan 2012Thu 28-Jun-12 01:42 AM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#73. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

AU

heres a comparison of genuine versus fake

http://nikonasia-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1518/~/counterfeit-batteries-and-accessories#mbd11

i got a 2 week old grip on ebay for au$150, i used the above site to compare the pics of the grip the person was selling on ebay and then once again proeprly after getting it, i got a genuine one which im happy with

i must say the genuine one has a small bit of flex if you pulled hard enough when attached to the camera.
the material texture/pattern/colour on the genuine grip is also a bit off from the camera body but only noticable if looked closely.
apart from that its quite nice.

cheers

gotrek99 Gold Member Nikonian since 12th May 2010Wed 04-Jul-12 07:21 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#74. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 62

Huddersfield, GB

>I've had my Meike grip for about 5 months now. Highly
>recommended. BTW - I've also use a Blackrapid strap connected
>to the Meike and a 80-200mm lens attached (no tripod foot)
>without problems and no signs of wear.

i like my black rapid strap. i am a little worried over clipping it to a grip though. i keep looking at them and nearly ordered one at weekend. how are you finding having it clipped to grip.
martin

jmesseder2 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2011Wed 04-Jul-12 07:30 PM
#75. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Gettysburg, US

There has been considerable discussion about this one. I have found it to be worth, relative to Nikon's offering, about what I paid. The catch tongue broke off not many uses after it was new, but I've been able to open and close it with a pen. Otherwise, it has served me well. Look back through the thread and you'll see some other views.

John Messeder, JAFPR, MBS
Freelance multimedia journalist
Gettysburg, PA, USA
Follow me on:</font></i><br>
= www.johnmesseder.com
= www.RockTheCapital.com
= www.facebook.com/jmesseder2
= www.twitter.com/john_messeder
= www.gplus.to/jmesseder2
= my Nikonians gallery

ronaldnd Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2008Thu 05-Sep-13 11:35 AM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#76. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 11

CA

I was tempted by this ad:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/171047753591?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

but decided to order a popular brand name substitute rather than buying something that portrays itself as Nikon but is not.

Thanks to all for the interesting discussion.

Ron

ronaldnd Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2008Thu 05-Sep-13 11:43 AM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#77. "RE: How could Nikon..."
In response to Reply # 69

CA

one seller put the following comment in his ad:

NEW MB-D11 Multi-Power Battery Pack Grip For Nikon D7000 Camera

dear friends, thanks for you paying attention to our item

firstly , i must honest to confirm that this one is not origianl, and i have noted it on the main picture, but why you choose this one? what is the advantage ?
the product is make by previous subcontractor use origianl mould , so function , appearance all same, and we provide 1 year warranty ,

some seller even wholesale our goods as original sale .this style sell best in our main shop.
hoping these information could help you choose the ideal item.

DBT85 Registered since 05th Sep 2013Fri 06-Sep-13 02:35 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#78. "RE: Anybody using a third party power grip for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

I had a legit grip on my D80. Then I bought a D7000 which came with a Meike grip. Never heard of them but it felt great and frankly I couldn't tell a difference. The seller had Meike grips on his other bodies too.

Then my gear got stolen and when it came around to ordering a new grip, I just went straight for the Meike for my new D7100. All the buttons work correctly, the dials match exactly what the cameras dials do. Frankly I think I even prefer the rubber on the grip to that on the body.

As for the reasons for getting my grip. I have large hands and without one my pinky wants to rest under the body. The grip makes even holding normally feel much more comfortable.

If I was making a living then I'd probably buy a Nikon grip, but as someone who just does this as a hobby, there is no way I'm paying what Nikon grips demand.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #10686 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.