Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #234
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Making books from aperture 3" Previous topic | Next topic
Zapple Registered since 10th Jan 2005Tue 14-Dec-10 03:59 PM
66 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Making books from aperture 3"

New York, US

Greetings all! I am about to order some photo books for the holidays. Does anyone have any experience with using Aperture 3 to make a book and how is the image quality from Apple?

If anyone has any experience or can recommend a site that makes books with QUALITY Prints, it would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks
Merry Christmas and Happy New Years. May you master the light and all your pics this year be keepers.

Zapple

Zapple

Www.zapshots.zenfolio.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3539962/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
kuzzy Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Thu 16-Dec-10 02:41 AM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Making books from aperture 3"
In response to Reply # 0

Milford, US

Adam, I ended up here as I was redirected from another thread you had started asking a slightly different question about books, reprints and hosting sites. I use Adorama to print for friends and family if it involves 5x7, 8x10 and up as I have found them to be a good balance between quality prints and price, turnaround time and ease of placing the order. For books I have found Blurb to also be a good balance between quality and price. I know some folks that use MPix and are happy for reprints/enlargments etc. Wish I could be of more help but I really do not do a lot of printing.

Marc
There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.-Ansel Adams

http://500px.com/WhatISaw
http://kuzzy.smugmug.com

Sgt Soldier Blue Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Mon 27-Dec-10 05:40 PM
314 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Making books from aperture 3"
In response to Reply # 0

North East, US

Sorry I didn't see this before. I have made three "Aperture" books. The quality is great! I also made one book using another popular service, which I didn't think was as good.

Popular Photography recently did an article on the various book printing companies. Aperture/Apple was rated very high!

"The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir

andrewvidale Registered since 08th Apr 2009Tue 28-Dec-10 01:31 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Making books from aperture 3"
In response to Reply # 0

AU

I recently made a "Medium Softcover Book" from Aperture 3 for a Christmas gift and can't fault the process. Simple as, good quality and quick turnaround - even in Australia where we usually get charged a premium.

Murseeker Registered since 21st Dec 2010Thu 06-Jan-11 10:19 AM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Making books from aperture 3"
In response to Reply # 0

Breitenbach, CH

Creating books out of Aperture is easy. The quality of the pictures is good and also the quality of the book itself is very good. The only negative point is the price. There are other products available which for a better price offer also very good picture quality.

Zapple Registered since 10th Jan 2005Thu 06-Jan-11 11:11 AM
66 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Making books from aperture 3"
In response to Reply # 4

New York, US

Thanks for the reply. Would you mind sharing the names of the other companies ?

Regards,
Zapple

Zapple

Www.zapshots.zenfolio.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3539962/

Murseeker Registered since 21st Dec 2010Fri 07-Jan-11 05:34 AM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Making books from aperture 3"
In response to Reply # 5

Breitenbach, CH

It might be not very useful for you if I give you the URL of those shops. They concentrate their business to Switzerland and possibly EU. Just do a little research in the US. Compare prices per page, paper quality, printing quality, make/shape of the book as well as the SW. For me the SW was also an important part. It should be able to run on a Mac, if possible allow for direct access to the Aperture library etc. It's relatively easy to find the information and check some forums for comments of users.

Andy

crashtest Basic MemberSat 08-Jan-11 02:42 AM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Making books from aperture 3"
In response to Reply # 0

Victoria, CA

I've made a couple of books from Aperture and found the process very good. Been really happy with the photo, book and paper quality. I like that they print photos on the hard cover itself as well as the dust cover. I don't think they all do that. I really like the way you can integrate it with your library and easily add pictures as you go. Even from other libraries (if you maintain more than one). Just makes the whole process of cataloguing photos, creating slideshows and books all in one place very nice. A couple of friends have used Blurb and My Publisher but the one using Blurb has switched to My Publisher. That being said, the other person using My Publisher liked the layout options that my book had using Apple. Seems there may be more options such as changing the background colour of the pages on different pages in the same book. I like the maps feature for a travel journal type of book. Not sure if these others offer that ..but that was at least his observation when he saw my books. Apparently Apple now owns My Publisher.
A couple of words of advice. If you use one of the templates, don't delete the dust cover pages!! I did (somehow???) and couldn't seem to re create those pages even from the 'insert page from master' command. Posted on Apple's forum for Aperture Books and no one responded with a solution as well. So I had to rebuild the entire book. Make a copy (duplicate) of the book frequently so if you do make a mistake like that, you have a recent backup to go to.

Paul Thomas
Victoria BC
Canada

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #234 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.