nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1044
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Use of Nik Plugins within Aperture for D800 files" Previous topic | Next topic
pentwater Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2003Sun 30-Sep-12 11:17 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Use of Nik Plugins within Aperture for D800 files"

Jupiter, US

I just processed my first raw files from my new D800. IQ was terrific but the precessing time, particularly using CFX4, was quite long. Where a 12mb D700 file would save in a few seconds, it almost takes a minute with my 16gb, 2.93ghz i7 processor with 1 TB of internal disk. In looking at the system monitor, it appears that disk i/o is one problem area though only for a shore percentage of the time. Memory maxs for the first few seconds, drops to a reasonable level, and then the machine "thinks"!

I'd appreciate and thoughts or ideas... including whether this is the right forum for the post.

Thanks a lot!

Best,

Bill

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
luckyphoto Gold Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Wed 03-Oct-12 04:59 PM
813 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Use of Nik Plugins within Aperture for D800 files"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

The D800 file sizes are around 50-70MB for NEF. TIFF can really get huge. Some delay should be expected. It also might have to do with the initial D800 software drivers. Later updates might make the process more efficient.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pentwater Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2003Fri 05-Oct-12 01:54 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Use of Nik Plugins within Aperture for D800 files"
In response to Reply # 0

Jupiter, US

Thanks Larry. I knew the files were much bigger and just expected processing time to be reasonably proportional.

I contacted Nik support yesterday and was told that certain CFX4 filters tend to greatly lengthen the save time. Unfortunately, they include a couple of my favorites... Pro Contrast and Detail Extractor. Oh well, I guess it will be like the "old days" of waiting for the system!

Thanks again.

Bill

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 14-Nov-12 09:43 AM
1556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Use of Nik Plugins within Aperture for D800 files"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 14-Nov-12 10:27 AM by William Symonds

Bogor, ID

I have an i5 iMac with 12gb and the plug-ins are just about OK on my machine now though I have only a D600. I have had all sorts of problems though and Aperture has crashed a number of times and is still running slow at times. These are big image files...

Mind you having made a few system modifications files now generally take only a few seconds to open when I open the Nik plug-ins. I just tested this, and with everything else closed, and after freeing memory first, it took 22 seconds to open CEP, but after that processing image changes using tonal contrast and detail extractor was pretty much instantaneous. Saving the image was pretty quick too.

I have turned off all start up software, cleared all the caches, rebuilt the database, and learned to turn off all other software before opening Aperture and the plug-ins. I have also turned off Photostream, which appeared to eat away at Aperture (and web speed) performance.

I am now also looking at getting an additional 4gb added.

Have you tried iBoost Up and similar utilities. A memory boost utility such as Free Memory may be quite usefull too. You can get them in the App Store. I also found "chriswrites.com" quite useful though I'd avoid clicking on the links to MacKeeper which has a dubious reputation, from what I can read on the web.

Just as well I chose the D600 I guess. I daren't even try the plug-ins on my Mac Air with its fixed 4gb ram...

W i l l

Nikonian in Bogor, West Java
www.willsymonds.com
www.willsymonds.blogspot.com
http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=123586

pentwater Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2003Thu 15-Nov-12 02:14 AM
#4. "RE: Use of Nik Plugins within Aperture for D800 files"
In response to Reply # 3

Jupiter, US

Some good ideas Will, I'll give them a try and see if they speed things up. I tend to be doing a "few" things at a time and might be contributing to my own problem!

Thanks!

Regards,

Bill

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 15-Nov-12 02:20 AM
1556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Use of Nik Plugins within Aperture for D800 files"
In response to Reply # 4
Thu 15-Nov-12 01:52 PM by William Symonds

Bogor, ID

A few web pages can steal 2gb memory.

I just caught up a few minutes ago and Aperture ran slow. I closed everything and it just revved up again...

"Free Memory" is really very useful as it shows you how much memory you have in the top information bar: you can click on it and see what is being used and click another button to free up any inactive memory. It's free if you don't want the pie chart and a dollar if you do...

EDIT - I just upped my memory from 12 to 16GB and hope that will help. One good thing about all this is that i have addressed some underlying system issues and my Mac is now generally running far smoother.

W i l l

www.willsymonds.com

PhotoSpydie Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for her support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 17th Jul 2011Fri 16-Nov-12 12:10 PM
197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Use of Nik Plugins within Aperture for D800 files"
In response to Reply # 0

Buckeye, US

Am not using the NIK plugins often, but noticed in the thread that followed that there was some excellent advice on improving the performance on the Mac. One more thing, and I don't mean to insult anyone on this . . . but it is really important to make sure that Aperture is up to date. There have been a couple of recent updates that improved the application's performance. I recommend backing up before installing any update.

I also agree with the comment about MacKeeper.

Carol

Carol
photospydie.com

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 16-Nov-12 03:12 PM
#7. "RE: Use of Nik Plugins within Aperture for D800 files"
In response to Reply # 6

Bogor, ID

". . . but it is really important to make sure that Aperture is up to date"

It would be nice if Apple were to heed that part of your excellent advice :-;

W i l l

www.willsymonds.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1044 Previous topic | Next topic