Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #10335
View in threaded mode

Subject: "transfer LR4 catalogue" Previous topic | Next topic
bobpilot Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2007Wed 06-Mar-13 07:26 PM
3257 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"transfer LR4 catalogue"

Washington, US

I have done ths before and this time there is a problem. I have the image files on an external; I worked the iamges on my laptop (MAC) and now I want to transfer the cataloge from the MAC to my main computer (Windows 7)

File: Import from another catalgue. It shows the folders with the files, but when a transfer is initiated, LR displays a message that says there is an error.

What am I doing wrong?

Bob

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
robcran Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Wed 06-Mar-13 11:25 PM
812 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: transfer LR4 catalogue"
In response to Reply # 0

Westleigh, AU

Bob,

I preface my remarks by saying that I have never attempted to do what you are doing, so this comment could easily be wrong. But have you tried to export your images as a catalog (File>Export as Catalog) and then run your "import from another catalog" using that exported catalog?

Robert
Sydney Nikonian

bobpilot Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2007Wed 06-Mar-13 11:47 PM
3257 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: transfer LR4 catalogue"
In response to Reply # 1

Washington, US

If I do that, I don't think the adjustments will make it to my main catalogue; I started the process and it seems that this will just make a new catalgue and not merge with my existing one.

My understanding is that the "Import from another catalouge" is the right method, and this is what I did last time, but there is somthing wrong this time.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 07-Mar-13 03:32 PM
26735 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: transfer LR4 catalogue"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

Robert is correct. Export from your working catalog on the laptop onto an external disk. Then move the disk to your main system and import from another catalog. There is even an option to create new virtual copies of files that have been edited on both systems.

As far as what is going wrong, you'll have to be more specific about what is going wrong. If you don't know, look in the console logs or other places - on MacOS there is a surprising amount of verbosity in the console, especially from LR and PS. I don't speak Windows past about Windows XP so I have no idea where to look there. They've definitely been moving things around a lot.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

bobpilot Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2007Thu 07-Mar-13 04:42 PM
#4. "RE: transfer LR4 catalogue"
In response to Reply # 3

Washington, US

I moved the catalogue to my hard drive. When I used the 'Import from another catalogue' feature, the list of folders appeared, however, the preview section of the dialog box did not show the images. When I attempted to import, LR displayed a screen note that said an error had occured and it was not asble to import.

I also tried moving the files to the hard drive, but that did not alleviate the problem.

Finally, I gave up and imported all the files and I will rework them.

somhompho Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2009Wed 13-Mar-13 06:51 PM
212 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: transfer LR4 catalogue"
In response to Reply # 4

Madison, US

Hi all,
When transfer LR catalog from 1 machine to another (& from Window to Mac or Mac to window is the same) you just nee to move or copy the XXX.lrcat file to your new location.

I'm a Window user, but I now have transfer my LR catalog several time to a new machine (or make 2nd copy for laptop use on trip).

Lighroom Queen (Victoria Brampton) forum has good instruction for this:

http://members.lightroomqueen.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/1165/187/how-do-i-move-my-catalog-photos-and-other-lightroom-files-to-a-new-computer

Hope this link help,

Som
www.HomphoPhotography.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #10335 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.