nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Scruff81

UK
5 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Scruff81 Registered since 14th Jul 2013
Sat 07-Sep-13 09:33 AM

This may seen like a silly question but I can't figure out how to turn off the built in flash on my D5200. I mainly shoot outdoors but have a family 21st party coming up and I read that the best way to take portraits in poor lighting is to turn off the flash and increase the ISO. Any advice would be appreciated.

Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US
4022 posts

#1. "RE: D5200 built in flash" | In response to Reply # 0

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Sat 07-Sep-13 12:30 PM

Hi Fiona. Take the camera out of Auto mode.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD

US
28515 posts

#2. "RE: D5200 built in flash" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Sat 07-Sep-13 02:42 PM

Hi Fiona,

Welcome to Nikonians!
You can turn the Mode dial to Auto (flash off) (between Auto and SCENE on the mode dial) or use P, S, A, or M exposure modes.

Best Regards,
Marty

Scruff81

UK
5 posts

#3. "RE: D5200 built in flash" | In response to Reply # 2

Scruff81 Registered since 14th Jul 2013
Sun 08-Sep-13 10:14 AM

Thanks guys. I rarely use auto must have have had it on when I was shooting at Windsor park a few months ago and the flash kept popping up. I mainly use aperture priority and just assumed the flash would come on if needed so I was looking for an off button. I knew it was a silly question.

pjonesCET

Martinsville, US
746 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#4. "RE: D5200 built in flash" | In response to Reply # 3

pjonesCET Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011
Sun 08-Sep-13 03:18 PM | edited Mon 09-Sep-13 08:16 PM by pjonesCET

Should be able to go in the Menu > Camera set up and scroll down (pushing down arrow) until you see flash Should be able to turn off there

If you set ISO to semi-Automatic where you set a Maximum ISO it should not flash if you set f stops to take advantage of th High ISO.

This was taken with my 3200 inside with no Flash had ISO set to semi-Automatic

Click on image to view larger version

This is a cousin - in - law that just moved back from Texas.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

MEMcD

US
28515 posts

#5. "RE: D5200 built in flash" | In response to Reply # 3

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Sun 08-Sep-13 03:20 PM

Hi Fiona,

There are No silly questions!

When in P,S,A,or M exposure modes, you must press the Flash button to turn the built-in Speedlight On.

Best Regards,
Marty

G