Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8685
View in threaded mode

Subject: "d5100 and HDR Mode" Previous topic | Next topic
buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Thu 05-Sep-13 02:32 AM
219 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"d5100 and HDR Mode"

US

How do I get my d5100 to go into HDR mode? I have checked the camera menu, and no matter what I set the dial to, it says the casmera cannot at its current state? What sequence of steps do I need to do?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 05-Sep-13 04:13 AM
26793 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: d5100 and HDR Mode"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 05-Sep-13 04:18 AM by MEMcD

US

Hi John,

Check page 76 in the <www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/dslr/D5100RM_EN.pdf|D5100 Reference Manual>

Best Regards,
Marty

Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Thu 05-Sep-13 04:23 AM
303 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: d5100 and HDR Mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Ayden, US

Set Quality to JPEG. Set HDR on in Shooting menu. Then set Release Mode to Continuous. You will get a two exposure HDR.

HDR will clear after exposure. If you want another HDR image, you must go back to Shooting menu and turn HDR to on.

Laverne

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Thu 05-Sep-13 12:52 PM
219 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: d5100 and HDR Mode"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanx. I was using the User Guide, and it was silent on HDR. Will use the reference manual.

Only 2 images. JPEG. Hmmmm. Well, no use complaining. I bought what I bought, and now I'll learn to use it. Not going to trade off. I look to own this for a long time.

Does Nikon issue software upgrades to cameras? 3 images and NEF would be nice.

OH! Can you "fake" HDR with a good tripod, and post software, like Photomatrix? I know with that you can have the software sync your pictures based on features found.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Thu 05-Sep-13 01:36 PM
3309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: d5100 and HDR Mode"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu 05-Sep-13 02:05 PM by Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US

Nikon releases firmware upgrades frequently to all their camera bodies but don't expect the HDR feature to change. Even the expensive D4 and D800 use jpg and two images only.

Your "fake" HDR is the way most good HDR photos are taken. You use a tripod, multiple bracketing exposures and software. I don't take HDR photos very often but when I do I use the HDR Pro feature found in Tools in Adobe Bridge CS6. I normally merge 5 images. I have yet to try Photomatix but believe it is a very good and probably the best HDR program.

While the D5100 will only bracket 3 exposures that is quite sufficient for good HDR photos.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Thu 05-Sep-13 06:57 PM
#5. "RE: d5100 and HDR Mode"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Besides Photomatrix, what are some other HDR softwares?

I know, from attending a demo, the Photomatrix is good for buildings and rock formations. What are the others' strengths?

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Fri 06-Sep-13 02:20 PM
3309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: d5100 and HDR Mode"
In response to Reply # 5

Hatboro, Pa, US

>Besides Photomatrix, what are some other HDR softwares?
>
>I know, from attending a demo, the Photomatrix is good for
>buildings and rock formations. What are the others'
>strengths?

Here is a large gallery of HDR photos from the Photomatix site.

http://www.hdrsoft.com/gallery/index.php

Besides the gallery explore the whole site to see just how powerful the program can be and how you can vary the look of your HDR photos.

Len

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Sat 07-Sep-13 01:00 AM
#7. "RE: d5100 and HDR Mode"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Exploring a "controversy" about Photomatix. It's the 32 bit issue. On my editing PC, I have a 64 bit Athlon, but a 32 bit OS (XP Home). Some resources say it will run on XP, some say it needs 64 bit. The jury is still out.

May have to upgrade to Vista. Ugh.

Still exploring the HDR Labs links. Reading Camera and Lens by Ansel Adams, and doing exercises in CNC on Mastercam 9. Busy busy.

Ansel Adams was a cool guy. A real head for art. Believed most of the work was before snapping the picture. What a concept.

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Sat 07-Sep-13 01:07 PM
#8. "RE: d5100 and HDR Mode"
In response to Reply # 7
Sat 07-Sep-13 01:09 PM by buffumjr

US

Any suggestion as to which HDRLabs linked software would be good to start with?

Reading Adams is slow. He packs so much meaning into every sentence, you have to stop and think. And the mental math these guys did in the days before cameras with computers inside. His stuff was mostly manual. He talked of 10" lenses, and 4"x6" 8"x10" cameras. Cameras with bellows. His framing practice was using a black card with a cutout, and moving it around, closer and farther, to see what the camera would. I'm going to make me one of those.

His most valuable discussions are on composition, the whys you leave out or include, camera angles, over and under exposing for effect.

Camera and Lens first published in 1948, the year I was born.

And he didn't have Photoshop.

But we have HDR. He'd be excited, and dive right in and learn it.

Thanks to Photomatix Support, I'm downloading the 32 bit demo package tonight, and trying it. Then, tomorrow, I'll brave the 105° heat and go get me some HDR photos to work with.

I'm sure my first efforts will be laughable, but improvement comes with practice.

Then, I'll download one of HDR Labs' offerings.

Best to keep the sampling small, so I can learn the menus. That will give me Elements 10, Photomatix, ViewNX 2, Photoshop 5.0, and Micrografx Picture Publisher. Enuff awready! G.A.S. as applies to software!

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 07-Sep-13 04:29 PM
#9. "RE: d5100 and HDR Mode"
In response to Reply # 8

Hatboro, Pa, US

Since Photomatix Essentials and Pro are stand alone programs I don't see a need to link them to anything to start with.

I purchased Essentials yesterday and have been playing with some of my previous bracketed photos. I also found the results on a single photo using the tone mapped presets can give you some interesting results. Here's an example.

Here is a straight photo taken with a Nikon AIS 15mm lens.

And the same photo tone mapped with one of Photomatix presets.

It can be a fun program.

Len

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Sat 07-Sep-13 09:14 PM
#10. "RE: d5100 and HDR Mode"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Loading tonight.

Now, to go play with a 50 year old electronic circuit. (Bzzzzzt! and a wisp of blue smoke)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8685 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.