Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8655
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Should I Buy This Lens?" Previous topic | Next topic
buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Mon 02-Sep-13 12:40 AM
219 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Should I Buy This Lens?"

US

I own a d5100. I have an opportunity to buy a 50mm f/1.8 lens, used, for $90. It is an AF, not an AF-S. According to the online chart put out by Nikon, it should work with my camera, but in manual mode, only. Metering may or may not work.

Suggestions? Opinions?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 02-Sep-13 12:47 AM
4515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Should I Buy This Lens?"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

You equipment list in your profile is empty, so I am just going to wing it.

My recommendation would be to pass on it. It will not auto-focus. Your research suggests the metering is questionable. Many folks find, and I agree, that 50mm on a DX body is rather an odd focal length compositionally.

For a DX body, you might want to look at the 35mm lenses.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Mon 02-Sep-13 12:51 AM
219 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Should I Buy This Lens?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

35mm. OK. Will do.

Cameta and Amazon have nice deals on the 1.8 glass. The 1.4 glass is a little too pricey for me.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 02-Sep-13 03:07 AM
26735 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Should I Buy This Lens?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

The metering will certainly work just fine. However, it won't AF.

As for whether or not to buy a given lens (not just this one): does it solve a particular photographic problem that you have? In this case, does the 50mm focal length suit the subjects you want to shoot?

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Mon 02-Sep-13 06:37 PM
#4. "RE: Should I Buy This Lens?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I guess what I should REALLY do is what so many have advised. Bite the money bullet, and RENT the lens I'm looking at. If I like what it does, buy, if not, no harm done.

Now, looking at
Nikon 35mm f/1.8 G DX AF-S Nikkor Lens
Nikon 28mm f/1.8 G AF-S Nikkor Lens

The acronym I need to remember is G.A.S. Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Do I NEED it, or is it G.A.S.?

But, why do I need a third lens, now? I'm still scrabbling up the learning curve for the d5100, the 18-55 and 55-300 "kit" lenses.

Hey! Where did I put my sanity? Can't find it, anywhere. Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most.

Photography club meets Wednesday. I'll talk it over with them.

Thanx for the sanity check. I needed that.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 02-Sep-13 08:08 PM
26141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Should I Buy This Lens?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi John,

Assuming that you have the kit 18-55mm or 18-105mm, try setting the zoom ring to 35mm, then to 50mm and see for yourself which focal length best suits your requirements.

The 50mm f/1.8G AF-S is optically excellent and fully supports AF on All D3000 and D5000 series bodies including your D5100.

Best Regards,
Marty

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Thu 05-Sep-13 05:52 PM
#6. "RE: Should I Buy This Lens?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

But from what I'm seeing, the difference between f/3.5 and f/1.8 is quite pronounced. As we all know, now, the more you close the aperture, the deeper your focused depth becomes. The more open, the shallower. Again, f/3.5 vs f/1.8.

But, I guess I'll pass on this lens, and save my nickels and dimes for an AF-S piece of G glass.

I have recommendations above for looking at the 35mm. How 'bout the 28mm? One's "for a fistful of dollars", and the other's for "a few dollars more".

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Thu 05-Sep-13 11:08 PM
574 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: Should I Buy This Lens?"
In response to Reply # 4

Martinsville, US

Here is a sample of the 35 F1.8

This was hand held it it may not be as sharp as should be plus th limitation of Nikonian's Gallery you can only use .jpg and a maximum of 240DPI

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 05-Sep-13 11:51 PM
26141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Should I Buy This Lens?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hi John,

The reason for setting the zoom ring on your 18-55mm at 35mm and at 50mm is so that you can compare the FOV (Field of View) at each focal length.
That will allow you to determine which focal length is best suited to your requirements.

It has nothing to do with the aperture.
Keep in mind that the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is a variable aperture zoom that is f/5.6 when set at 50mm focal length not f/3.5. The difference between f/1.8 and f/5.6 is 2 1/3rd stops. When compared with both lenses wide open DOF (Depth of Field) is much narrower at f/1.8. This allows you to isolate your subject from the background.
The prime will allow you to use a shutter speed about 6 times faster given the same ISO and shooting both lenses wide open.

Regarding the 28mm f/1.8G AF-S: it is also optically excellent but significantly more expensive than either the 50mm f/1.8G AF-S or the 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX.
28mm is a bit wide for portraits even on a DX body. Again, it depends on which focal length works best for your particular requirements.

Best Regards,
Marty

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 06-Sep-13 12:00 AM
#9. "RE: Should I Buy This Lens?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi John,

>I guess what I should REALLY do is what so many have advised.
> Bite the money bullet, and RENT the lens I'm looking at. If
>I like what it does, buy, if not, no harm done.

That is a reasonable approach.

>Now, looking at
>Nikon 35mm f/1.8 G DX AF-S Nikkor Lens
>Nikon 28mm f/1.8 G AF-S Nikkor Lens
>
>The acronym I need to remember is G.A.S. Gear Acquisition
>Syndrome. Do I NEED it, or is it G.A.S.?

We call it NAS (Nikon Acquisition Syndrome)!

>But, why do I need a third lens, now? I'm still scrabbling up
>the learning curve for the d5100, the 18-55 and 55-300
>"kit" lenses.

Only you can answer that question.

When you find the limit of your kit lens, and you can't do what you want; it is time to consider adding another lens or piece of equipment to your kit.

Best Regards,
Marty

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sat 07-Sep-13 02:27 AM
574 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#10. "RE: Should I Buy This Lens?"
In response to Reply # 4

Martinsville, US

>I guess what I should REALLY do is what so many have advised.
> Bite the money bullet, and RENT the lens I'm looking at. If
>I like what it does, buy, if not, no harm done.
>
>Now, looking at
>Nikon 35mm f/1.8 G DX AF-S Nikkor Lens
>Nikon 28mm f/1.8 G AF-S Nikkor Lens
>
>The acronym I need to remember is G.A.S. Gear Acquisition
>Syndrome. Do I NEED it, or is it G.A.S.?
>
>But, why do I need a third lens, now? I'm still scrabbling up
>the learning curve for the d5100, the 18-55 and 55-300
>"kit" lenses.
>
>Hey! Where did I put my sanity? Can't find it, anywhere. Of
>all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most.
>
>Photography club meets Wednesday. I'll talk it over with
>them.
>
>Thanx for the sanity check. I needed that.

Actually it N.A.S not G.A.S (Nikon Acquisition Syndrome)

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

DC2105 Registered since 15th Sep 2013Sun 15-Sep-13 07:46 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Should I Buy This Lens?"
In response to Reply # 10

Kolkata, IN

Thank you all for this discussion.

I am also in a confusion about purchasing 35mm or 50mm lens.

Is it true that 35mm gives same focal length as in a FX camera?

D5100 is better than any Sniper.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 15-Sep-13 11:53 AM
3109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Should I Buy This Lens?"
In response to Reply # 11

Hatboro, Pa, US

The DX crop factor is 1.5x so a 35mm lens on a DX body would give you a field of view of 52.5 mm on FX.

Len

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 15-Sep-13 08:00 PM
#13. "RE: Should I Buy This Lens?"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Hi Dibyajyoti,

>Is it true that 35mm gives same focal length as in a FX camera?

A 50mm lens was the kit lens on film SLR's for decades before zooms became popular in the 1990's. 50mm lenses are considered "Normal" lenses on film and FX bodies. As len wrote above, a 35mm lens on a DX body like your D5100 will have the Equivalent Field of View as a 52.5mm lens on an FX or Film body.

Set the zoom ring on your 18-55mm to 35mm and see the FOV (Field of View).
Do the same with the zoom ring set to 50mm.
Then you can decide which focal length works best for your particular requirements.

Best Regards,
Marty

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Fri 18-Oct-13 08:51 PM
#14. "RE: Should I Buy This Lens?"
In response to Reply # 13

US

And while we're on the subject of "Should I Buy This Lens", I found in Amazon.com PLR Optics 52MM +1 +2 +4 +10 Close-Up Macro Filter Set. A lot of why I have this camera is shooting small stuff close up. Has anyone tried these "screw-on" lenses? How well do they work?

Has anyone tried 52MM 2.2x Telephoto and 0.43X Wide Angle High Definition w/ Macro Portion Lenses? They also come in 58mm for the 300mm Nikon kit lens.

Tho I may rent a telephoto, I don't really have the superdeep pockets to buy one. That's why I'm asking.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8655 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.