nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
lucastjs

MY
11 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
lucastjs Registered since 26th Mar 2013
Wed 10-Jul-13 05:05 PM

Hi, I bought myself a D3200 and I am new user in DSLR. I still can't get the ISO setting right apart from getting it set to Auto. The ISO setting is from 100 to 6400 and Hi 1. Recently I took some photos inside and outside a cave. When I was inside, I set it to Hi 1 with night mode, but the photos that I took were pretty bad. Inside the cave was quite dark, with some spots that I need a torch light, I wonder anyone can give me some advice about this ISO setting? What I understand is the higher the ISO setting is, I should be able to get good picture in dark and even moving objects.

With the flash, there is Auto Slow and Auto Red Eye Slow, Flash Red Eye Slow, Flash Rear and Flash Slow. Red Eye is always aim for reducing the human eyes' redness during a flash, so when should I be using the Flash Rear and Flash Slow?

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
6047 posts

#1. "RE: ISO Sensitivity & Flash" | In response to Reply # 0

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Wed 10-Jul-13 09:46 PM

>Hi, I bought myself a D3200 and I am new user in DSLR. I
>still can't get the ISO setting right apart from getting it
>set to Auto. The ISO setting is from 100 to 6400 and Hi 1.
>Recently I took some photos inside and outside a cave. When I
>was inside, I set it to Hi 1 with night mode, but the photos
>that I took were pretty bad. Inside the cave was quite dark,
>with some spots that I need a torch light, I wonder anyone can
>give me some advice about this ISO setting?

ISO allows you to change the light sensitivity of the sensor. The higher the number, the more sensitive, the less light needed to take the picture. However, you are trading image quality for higher sensitivity. If you underexpose the image, the quality will suffer even more. Eventually you will hit the limit of your camera's capabilities; then you will either need to add more light or use a longer shutter speed or both.

>What I understand
>is the higher the ISO setting is, I should be able to get good
>picture in dark and even moving objects.

Some cameras do get to that level of bragging, like Nikon's D3 and D4. The D3200 does not come any where close to that. However, even the D4 will probably not get "good" images at that point, just "usable" ones.

>With the flash, there is Auto Slow and Auto Red Eye Slow,
>Flash Red Eye Slow, Flash Rear and Flash Slow. Red Eye is
>always aim for reducing the human eyes' redness during a
>flash, so when should I be using the Flash Rear and Flash
>Slow?

Flash Rear and Flash Slow (Front) are used for longer exposures where the flash is fired only during part of the exposure. Slow (Front) fires the flash at the start of the exposure while Rear fires the flash at the end of the exposure. It comes in handy for moving objects, which will create blur or ghosting during the long exposure. Flash Rear will have the blur moving into the final position while Flash Slow will have the blur moving out of the starting position.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

avigar

Northern IL, US
511 posts

#2. "RE: ISO Sensitivity & Flash" | In response to Reply # 1

avigar Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Nov 2006
Thu 11-Jul-13 12:07 AM

What shooting mode and lens are you using? It may help if you also provide additional info on the settings you're using.

--Ben

lucastjs

MY
11 posts

#3. "RE: ISO Sensitivity & Flash" | In response to Reply # 2

Thu 11-Jul-13 05:18 AM

Hi Ben, thanks for the reply. I am using the night mode to shoot the photos. The lens comes with the camera which is AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR which I believe should be the basic lens. I set the ISO mode to Hi 1 and the environment during the photo shooting was a bit dark (it's in a cave) which some natural sun light. The build in flash automatically pop up in certain cases.

Cheers,
Lucas

lucastjs

MY
11 posts

#4. "RE: ISO Sensitivity & Flash" | In response to Reply # 1

Thu 11-Jul-13 05:33 AM

Hi Joseph, thanks for the reply.

>ISO allows you to change the light sensitivity of the sensor. The >higher the number, the more sensitive, the less light needed to take >the picture. However, you are trading image quality for higher >sensitivity. If you underexpose the image, the quality will suffer >even more. Eventually you will hit the limit of your camera's >capabilities; then you will either need to add more light or use a >longer shutter speed or both.

I wonder will it helps if I asjust the exposure and the contrast together with the build in flash for the shooting? ISO setting of course can't be too low I believe. You mention about shutter speed, is it the darker it is, the slower the shutter speed should be while if the area is very bright, you will need to adjust faster shutter speed? Normally I saw a lot of people will use a tripod when shooting at night since I think slower shutter speed will need very steady hand.

>Some cameras do get to that level of bragging, like Nikon's D3 and >D4. The D3200 does not come any where close to that. However, even >the D4 will probably not get "good" images at that point, >just "usable" ones.

Meaning to say, no matter what model of camera you are using, addtional lighting should be use to compensate the darkness plus the help of exposure and shutter setting, right?

>Flash Rear and Flash Slow (Front) are used for longer exposures >where the flash is fired only during part of the exposure. Slow
>(Front) fires the flash at the start of the exposure while Rear >fires the flash at the end of the exposure. It comes in handy for >moving objects, which will create blur or ghosting during the long >exposure. Flash Rear will have the blur moving into the final >position while Flash Slow will have the blur moving out of the >starting position.

I think shooting moving object and shooting in the dark, a tripod would be like a compulsory tool to help, right? Talk about the Flash Rear, if you shoot at night (example a car moving on the road with street lights), what would you recommend the ISO setting to be and how about the shutter speed together with the exposure?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Lucas

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
6047 posts

#5. "RE: ISO Sensitivity & Flash" | In response to Reply # 4

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Thu 11-Jul-13 11:18 AM

>I wonder will it helps if I adjust the exposure and the
>contrast together with the build in flash for the shooting?
>ISO setting of course can't be too low I believe. You mention
>about shutter speed, is it the darker it is, the slower the
>shutter speed should be while if the area is very bright, you
>will need to adjust faster shutter speed? Normally I saw a lot
>of people will use a tripod when shooting at night since I
>think slower shutter speed will need very steady hand.

Yes, darker scenes need a longer shutter speed while lighter ones get a shorter speed. ISO will set the "base" speed.

Night shots normally need longer shutter speeds. The tripod helps with camera stability.

>Meaning to say, no matter what model of camera you are using,
>additional lighting should be use to compensate the darkness
>plus the help of exposure and shutter setting, right?

Yes, if it is dark enough. Higher end cameras handle the darkness better than the lower end ones by having a higher ISO range and handling the high ISO noise better.

>I think shooting moving object and shooting in the dark, a
>tripod would be like a compulsory tool to help, right?

Depends on the situation and desired results. The tripod will solve the problem of camera motion. It will not help with subject motion. Subject motion is normally stopped with higher shutter speeds. Higher shutter speeds normally also solve the problem of camera motion.

>Talk about the Flash Rear, if you shoot at night (example a car
>moving on the road with street lights), what would you
>recommend the ISO setting to be and how about the shutter
>speed together with the exposure?

I have no recommendations as I have never attempted this. There are some good examples on this site from a while back, if you can find them.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US
4023 posts

#6. "RE: ISO Sensitivity & Flash" | In response to Reply # 0

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Thu 11-Jul-13 05:26 PM

Hi Lucas. When reading Joseph's comments you should get the impression that when using ISO Hi1 that it's really a last resort setting. I have used the D3200 at this ISO setting and while it's workable with flash if the room is not too large or the walls are light and can reflect some light. What I don't know is how large your cave is. Is it a 10'x10' room or a 30'x20' cavern sized room. It makes a big difference. In either case I would want a larger flash unit and a faster wide angle lens. I use a SB800, a very strong unit. If there are dark areas in your photos the noise is probably very high. I probably wouldn't want to go above ISO 1600 if you want half decent photos. The stronger flash will let you get there.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Sasquatch519

US
22 posts

#7. "RE: ISO Sensitivity & Flash" | In response to Reply # 0

Sasquatch519 Registered since 26th Mar 2013
Fri 12-Jul-13 03:58 PM

I've never really had great luck with low-light photography without using a tripod and a longer shutter speed. You can try to jack the ISO way up, but you usually end up with a pretty grainy image.

I haven't tried to capture motion in low-light, but I imagine you'd need to get a flash on the moving object in order to get the shutter to be fast enough and you'd probably lose most of the detail in the background as a result.

I was able to get some very good shots of a thunderstorm last night with a D5100, so I'm sure it can be done with a D3200. I had a tripod, 10 second shutter speed, f7 aperature, ISO 400.

------------------------------
Nikon D5100
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
AF-S DX NIKKOR 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED
AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G
SB-700 AF Speedlight

G