Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8215
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D 3200 Question" Previous topic | Next topic
photoheron Registered since 05th Jun 2013Wed 05-Jun-13 03:38 AM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D 3200 Question"

Fort Smith, US

I have some experience with cameras. Will the D 3200 be too basic for a serious hobbyist? Is there enough room for creativity?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 05-Jun-13 08:02 PM
4160 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D 3200 Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Smartass answer: Since it has manual modes, you can get as creative as you want.

Take a look at the PDF user manual and see if it gets you where you want to be:
https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17792

Also take a quick look at the tutorial:
http://www.nikonusa.com/fileuploads/Digitutor/D3200/index.html

My only real complaint about the lower-end DSLRs is that they are physically too small for my hands, based on playing with them in camera stores. The middle-range and high-end models give you more external buttons for quicker setting changes without going to the menus.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Wed 05-Jun-13 08:36 PM
218 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D 3200 Question"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I concur with the menu concern. I'm working with a Canon sx160is point and shoot with AV and Manual modes. I have it mounted on a homemade tripod head with a homemade cable operated shutter trigger. Due to where I had to put the post, I have to operate the menu and the buttons with a stylus.

Getting a camera with R/C (radio control) shutter release would be suweet.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Thu 06-Jun-13 10:55 PM
543 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: D 3200 Question"
In response to Reply # 2

Martinsville, US

If you want some samples of D3200 Pictures look in my Gallery

And here from Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/sets/72157633851626643/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/sets/72157633727144610/

All these picture were take with the 3200.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://phillipjones-cet.net

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 07-Jun-13 06:04 AM
25663 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D 3200 Question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Bradley,

Welcome to Nikonians!
The D3200 is significantly more capable than even the Pro film bodies back in the 1990's. It has excellent resolution and dynamic range, greatly improved over the preveous generation of DSLR bodies.
While it does have limitations such as, no sub-command dial, and dedicated buttons to quickly change settings without having to go through the camera menu. This might slow you down a little but unless you shoot sports or action, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Best Regards,
Marty

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Sat 08-Jun-13 07:44 PM
218 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D 3200 Question"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I REALLY appreciate the comments about hands-on with the d5200. I intend to buy one. Kit lense 18-55. See where things go from there. Savin' up.

RRowlett Silver Member Charter MemberSun 09-Jun-13 10:12 PM
1087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D 3200 Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Hamilton, US

Does more than my D100 which I used creatively for 10 years. It has a crazy good sensor.

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Tue 11-Jun-13 11:38 PM
#7. "RE: D 3200 Question"
In response to Reply # 6

US

What is the advantage to a mid-size or large-size camera? In looking at the specs side by side, sensor size is the only real difference.

Is it ruggedness? Longevity?

photoheron Registered since 05th Jun 2013Tue 11-Jun-13 11:45 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D 3200 Question"
In response to Reply # 7

Fort Smith, US

Handling the Nikon 3200 concerns of its quality and ruggedness rises concerns.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 12-Jun-13 03:17 AM
4160 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D 3200 Question"
In response to Reply # 8

Seattle, WA, US

The size of the camera can also be an issue based on the size of your hands. Small hands often prefer the smaller cameras, bigger hands sometimes the bigger cameras.

The pro-line cameras (FX and DX) do have a more rugged build and better weather sealing. Depending on how you use your equipment, this may or may not be important to you.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

RRowlett Silver Member Charter MemberWed 12-Jun-13 11:38 PM
1087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D 3200 Question"
In response to Reply # 7

Hamilton, US

The oversimplified difference between the 3200-5200-7100, all of which have 24 Mpixel DX sensors, is that you get a LITTLE more of everything as you move up the line: a little better AF module (11 vs 39 vs 51 AF points), a little better viewfinder (pentaprism vs. pentamirror, better viewfinder magnification and coverage, etc.), a little more in the way of dials and hardware vs. menu adjustments, better weather sealing, etc. etc.

Many of the features on the more expensive versions may or may not be that important compared to the extra cost.

A D3200 has all the basics you need to control composition and exposure (P, S, A, M modes, exposure compensation, a variety of metering options). It even has a lot of the in-camera nifty tools like active D-lighting, AUTO ISO with adjustable upper limits, Picture Controls, etc.

It's easy enough to compare features and specifications. Unless you absolutely need some feature that only the D5200 or D7100 offers, and don't object to the size of the D3200, the lower cost model may be enough to gain access to a 24 Mpixel DX body. If money is no object, get the D7100 and get everything there is to get in this series. If you can deal with less, the 3200 and 5200 offer alternative price points.

Cheers.

photoheron Registered since 05th Jun 2013Thu 13-Jun-13 03:04 AM
#11. "RE: D 3200 Question"
In response to Reply # 10

Fort Smith, US

The higher megapixel is the last thing I look for in camera.A camera has to have the features that go beyond the megapixel number. Secondly it has to have the physical features that will make it comfortable to shot. Thirdly the ruggedness to withstand being used.

Lastly the value vs price.

RRowlett Silver Member Charter MemberFri 14-Jun-13 12:02 AM
#12. "RE: D 3200 Question"
In response to Reply # 11

Hamilton, US

Then it seems your task is straightforward. Since all three cameras (3200-5200-7100) have the same sensor resolution, it comes down to what features you cannot live without, or whether or not a particular body is suitably comfortable or rugged.

If sensor resolution is not a deal-breaking issue, you could make an argument for a less expensive set of choices: 3100-5100-7000, which are IIRC in the 16 Mpixel family.

I just steered my nephew toward a used 3100, which is about as dirt-cheap a way as possible to get a really nice DSLR to learn with. Beats the socks off my ten-year old D100.

I don't know how the 3100-3200 series cameras stand up in practice, but my D100 and N80 cameras withstood a ton of outdoors abuse: heat, sand, dust, humidity, rain, clanking around on my hip while scrambling over rocks, ice, brush, etc. I'm sure someone on this site can testify to how much they have abused a 3100 or 3200.

Cheers.

photoheron Registered since 05th Jun 2013Fri 14-Jun-13 12:43 AM
#13. "RE: D 3200 Question"
In response to Reply # 12

Fort Smith, US

Thanks for your input. Choosing a DSLR is a big decision. I'm a photohobbitiest, my former D40 did a good job. There are many factors to consider.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8215 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.