Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7962
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Problem with focus with D3200" Previous topic | Next topic
mantz Registered since 10th Apr 2013Wed 10-Apr-13 11:07 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Problem with focus with D3200"

GR

Hello! I am new member who recently bought a D3200.

I am experiencing some issues with autofocus on my camera. In aperture priority mode when I select a focus point in the single point focus (AF-A or AF-S mode) I can't focus properly or sometimes can't focus at all ( as indicated by not having the green sphere in the viewfinder). When I switch to guide mode (advanced mode) and choose a single focus point, the camera focuses perfectly. Do you think that is a problem of my settings or is something different altogether? I am using the standard 18-55 mm lens that comes bundled with the camera. Thanks in advance for the replies. If there is a thread where this issue is addressed already please point me to it, since a fast search of the forum didn't yield any threads associated with this issue. Thanks again!

PS: I forgot to mention that am new to DSLR photography and most possibly the issue in question is something that I miss, but please bear with me.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Thu 11-Apr-13 06:49 PM
3046 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Problem with focus with D3200"
In response to Reply # 0

McEwen, US

You need to have your focal point on something that has some contrast and is stationary. You will have a hard time focusing on, for instance, the sky, or a field of grass that is moving in the wind. The focal point also needs adequate lighting.

I've never used the guide mode, so have no help for you on that.

Make sure you have the complete users guide to your camera.... you can download it from the Nikon website. The one that came with my D3100 was very incomplete. Also search around for some books specific to the D3200, you might find them helpful.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Fri 12-Apr-13 01:35 AM
573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Problem with focus with D3200"
In response to Reply # 1

Martinsville, US

one Good one is the D3200 for Dummies.
There is another book one by David Bush I got both from amazon I would have bought the one from the fellow on Nikonian that created the book for the D3000 but he evidently hasn't offered one for the 3200. The Dummies Book seems better written. It more understandable, and explains thing better.

Don't feel bad I have more trouble with focus on the 3200 than on my 3000. One thing the focusing pattern you see in the ViewFinder never gets in focus despite my adjusting the eyepiece. I've got a dopter corrector coming from Nikon. I think the issue is that the Sensor is so much better it tends make everything smooth even if in perfect focus On some things I can in Aperture adjust focus and looks better. Then some doesn't make that much difference.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 13-Apr-13 02:32 AM
26082 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Problem with focus with D3200"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Christos,

>I am experiencing some issues with autofocus on my camera. In
>aperture priority mode when I select a focus point in the
>single point focus (AF-A or AF-S mode) I can't focus properly
>or sometimes can't focus at all ( as indicated by not having
>the green sphere in the viewfinder). When I switch to guide
>mode (advanced mode) and choose a single focus point, the
>camera focuses perfectly. Do you think that is a problem of my
>settings or is something different altogether?

Are you using a good AF target?

Is your subject static or moving?

What is the ambient light level when you experience the problem?

If the light level is very low, do you have the AF Asist light On?

I am using the
>standard 18-55 mm lens that comes bundled with the camera.

The 18-55mm is optically excellent. More so when one considers it's price.

>PS: I forgot to mention that am new to DSLR photography and
>most possibly the issue in question is something that I miss,
>but please bear with me.

We were All beginners once.
Practice makes perfect.

Best Regards,
Marty

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sat 13-Apr-13 01:10 PM
573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Problem with focus with D3200"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 13-Apr-13 01:17 PM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

I find the chief cause for me is not enough Light.

I have the same Camera Purchased Jan and have D3000 that is about 3 years old (unlucky me If I had waited exactly 2 days I could have gotten a 3100. But that's the story of my Life).

I did not have these issues so much with the 3000 because it has a sensor almost half the size. So apparently it could get a long with less light. 14.4 as opposed to 24.2

I wish the Nikon Cameras had the split focus circle like in my old Chinnon 35 MM whether auto focus it would show an inner circle that was split into a Top and bottom portion a split screen as it became more in focus the top part got lighter and it would be one smooth line (the image would not be split)

| in focus

Out of Focus
|
...|

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

mantz Registered since 10th Apr 2013Mon 15-Apr-13 09:34 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Problem with focus with D3200"
In response to Reply # 4

GR

I would like to thank you all for the replies. It's valuable information for me as I am a beginner. I will try to test everything you said and also buy a beginners guide!

@ Marty

>Are you using a good AF target?
>

How you define a good AF target?

>Is your subject static or moving?
>

I shoot mostly static objects.

>What is the ambient light level when you experience the
>problem?
>
>If the light level is very low, do you have the AF Assist light
>On?

Usually I am experiencing the problem in low light conditions and as you correctly predicted I have had the AF Assist off, I will try to shoot with AF assist on. When shooting in broad daylight usually I manage to focus but not always. I am thinking that it has to do with what you said earlier on about a good AF target. Again I would like to thank you all for the replies. I will shoot more and more and I will report back my adventures

Regards,
Christos

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 16-Apr-13 02:25 AM
26082 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Problem with focus with D3200"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Christos,

>How you define a good AF target?

The more contrast the AF target has, the better.

>I shoot mostly static objects.

For static subjects you can use Single Servo (AF-S) mode.
The AF-Assist light will only work with the camera in AF-S mode.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7962 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.