nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Teleconverter TC-20E III Compatibility

dperry23

US
5 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dperry23 Registered since 02nd Mar 2013
Thu 14-Mar-13 06:33 AM

I own a D5100, and I am looking to purchase 70-200m F2.8 VR II and the Teleconverter TC-20E III. I can’t find anything definitive stating whether this combination of equipment will work. If so, what are the limitations?

jec6613

Norwalk, US
890 posts

#1. "RE: Teleconverter TC-20E III Compatibility " | In response to Reply # 0

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013
Thu 14-Mar-13 09:40 AM

Yes it works, without any limitations, except of course the loss of image quality going through a TC.

Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US
3967 posts

#2. "RE: Teleconverter TC-20E III Compatibility " | In response to Reply # 0

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Thu 14-Mar-13 11:28 AM | edited Thu 14-Mar-13 11:33 AM by Leonard62

Here is the TC compatibility table taken from the Nikon USA web site.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_INC/IMG/Assets/Common-Assets/Images/Teleconverter-Compatibility/en_US_Comp_chart.html

Note, this chart does not appear to take into account the latest Nikon bodies which can auto focus at f8 and larger.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD

US
28352 posts

#3. "RE: Teleconverter TC-20E III Compatibility " | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Thu 14-Mar-13 08:36 PM

Hi Demetrius,

The TC-20E III is fully compatible with the 70-200mm f/2.8G ED IF AF-S VR when mounted on any Nikon DSLR including your D5100.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

blw

Richmond, US
27306 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#4. "RE: Teleconverter TC-20E III Compatibility " | In response to Reply # 0

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Fri 15-Mar-13 01:01 PM

Additionally, you should also expect some loss of AF reliability when using this TC. It's not colossal, but it's definitely noticeable. Usually an f/2.8 lens + TC-20eIII is somewhat less likely to lock onto a target than a longer f/5.6 lens, under the same conditions. Why this is the case, I don't know, but it's definitely the case even on top-spec AF systems like CAM3500 - I presume that the D5100's CAM1000 is at least as affected if not more.

It's still a viable combination, but without such a warning, one often wonders if something is wrong.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

G