nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7811
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Help with focus technique...." Previous topic | Next topic
NikonOz Registered since 07th Feb 2013Mon 11-Mar-13 02:15 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Help with focus technique...."

US

Hello,

Would you please look at these images and let me know how can I improve so most of the images are in focus?

http://img.gg/JW5N3KN

Here are some spaces:

D5100 with built in flash on
35mm/f1.8 at f2.8
1/60 sec
RAW
ISO 100
Single frame
AF-S
Single point AF

All the images were shot with a focus point on the right eye with no repositioning.

AF point selected: top one in the 4th column.

All 14 images were uploaded

Only these 5 images are in focus:

Thank you,
OZ

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 11-Mar-13 03:20 AM
3370 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Help with focus technique...."
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

I don't really see what your complaint is. They all look quite focused to me even at the larger size. What are you seeing? You are shooting with a fairly wide aperture so DOF is small.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 11-Mar-13 03:41 AM
4943 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Help with focus technique...."
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

At a quick glance, I am with Alan about these looking pretty good. After resizing them for the web, you would need to remember to resharpen them.

Since the boy is not sitting still, 1/60 might be a little slow for motion blur problems.

Since only the center point is a cross-type focus point, it is the only one that will have the extra precision. I am not sure if that would make a difference in this case.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

NikonOz Registered since 07th Feb 2013Tue 12-Mar-13 12:29 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Help with focus technique...."
In response to Reply # 2

US

Here are crops for comparison:

http://img.gg/8Nn6a2E

You can only see the issue when the images are displayed at 1:1 zoom level.

DOF at 2.8 is low but should be sufficient (couple if inches).

I will try to focus with the center point and if that does not help bump up shutter speed.

NikonOz Registered since 07th Feb 2013Tue 12-Mar-13 01:10 AM
#4. "RE: Help with focus technique...."
In response to Reply # 3

US

I did another series at f4 1/60sec and the results are the same.

I will try a faster shutter...

NikonOz Registered since 07th Feb 2013Tue 12-Mar-13 01:35 AM
#5. "RE: Help with focus technique...."
In response to Reply # 4

US

At 1/125s f1.8 (Shutter Priority mode) all the results where good. That is interesting....

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 01st Dec 2011Wed 13-Mar-13 01:23 AM
3098 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Help with focus technique...."
In response to Reply # 5

McEwen, US

I don't think there was anything wrong with your first set of images. If the second set at a faster shutter speed looks better to you, the initial problem was either *subject movement (very possible, given the subject) or *camera shake (also possible.)

Are you using VR or a tripod?

At those apertures your plane of focus is going to be very thin. Any kind of motion is likely to move your focal plane to somewhere you didn't intend it to be.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

NikonOz Registered since 07th Feb 2013Wed 13-Mar-13 01:54 AM
#7. "RE: Help with focus technique...."
In response to Reply # 6

US

I have posted small crops showing the issue:

http://img.gg/8Nn6a2E

I think you are right about the possible movements causing some blurriness.

I expected the flash to freeze any subject to camera distance changes and movements of the subject. I guess there was enough ambient light so the exposure took the full 1/60 sec as the flash was not the main source of light.

The lens is NIKKOR 35mm 1.8 so there is no VR and I did not use any support, it was hand held.

The next time I will try to shoot in manual mode 1/200sec at f2.8 (hand held) I think it should work.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Wed 13-Mar-13 03:17 AM
3370 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Help with focus technique...."
In response to Reply # 7

Nevis, US

The background is quite well exposed so the ambient exposure may have been the cause of some motion blur.

Alan

Digital_Reality Registered since 19th Oct 2012Wed 20-Mar-13 04:33 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Help with focus technique...."
In response to Reply # 0

Bangalore, IN

I See! I think its more a 1/60 (motion blur) problem than anything else.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7811 Previous topic | Next topic