Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7582
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Which Camera" Previous topic | Next topic
kellyorourke Registered since 03rd Feb 2013Sun 03-Feb-13 10:11 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which Camera"

US

My question: I read somewhere that if you do a lot of editing, post processing, that a higher MP camera will be better? I have a D90 now and I'm looking for a 2nd camera.

What I do with my camera: I'm a hobbyist that does pet photography and all proceeds go to animal rescue groups. So I'm not out attempting to make income for myself aka weddings and such. I"m not looking for the best of the best.

I was wondering if the higher MP count would be better since I do love to post process? I've heard the D7000 is a great camera and well built for the elements, i do shoot out in the snow.

I want a back up because I've already had to send my D90 in for a repair and had to reschedule some people.

Any input? I can go up to 1,200 in my budget but would rather I didn't.

Kelly ( I know who to ask, Nikonians!)

PS, I tried to repay for the silver and my card kept getting declined. I have the money! Not sure what's up. Will keep trying or just use paypal.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 03-Feb-13 10:53 PM
26565 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Which Camera"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I don't see it. I particularly don't see it since I'll guess that the use of your images is web publishing, email or small prints. ("Small" defined as being 16x24" or less, which is straightfoward to produce from a 12mp file.) If you're really just looking for a backup - meaning something you don't plan to use unless your main camera is on the blink, I'd recommend spending as little as possible. Say, a D100 or a D40x - which you should be able to find for around $175-$250. If you have older screwdriver AF lenses, you'll want one of the D100, D80, D50 as they are the only lower-spec (ie inexpensive) ones that have focusing motors.

> ... well built for the elements, i do shoot out in the snow.

None of these are "well" suited to bad weather. Frankly, even the D4 isn't well suited to bad weather - it is "weather sealed" until Nikon decides it was "too much." Far safer is to put any regular camera into a good rain cover. I use a pretty big and relatively expensive ThinkTank Hydrophobia, but there are less expensive ones. The Hydrophobia is good enough to shoot in a torrential downpour and have basically no water on the camera or lens.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Sun 03-Feb-13 11:07 PM
50175 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which Camera"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

>PS, I tried to repay for the silver and my card kept getting
>declined. I have the money! Not sure what's up. Will keep
>trying or just use paypal.

If you have still a problem to upgrade, get in touch with me here:

http://www.nikonians.org/contact.php

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

kellyorourke Registered since 03rd Feb 2013Sun 03-Feb-13 11:41 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which Camera"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I have had a couple people as for poster sized prints, but it's rare. I was a bit uncomfortable with the request. I think it came out okay, neither i or they are pros so I'm sure we didn't critique it as such.

TY for the response.

Kelly.

kellyorourke Registered since 03rd Feb 2013Sun 03-Feb-13 11:42 PM
#4. "RE: Which Camera"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I"m going to try and process it again tomorrow. If I have problems I'll contact you. This would be the 3rd year I've been a member. I get the best answers here. TY.

Kelly

kellyorourke Registered since 03rd Feb 2013Sun 03-Feb-13 11:44 PM
#5. "RE: Which Camera"
In response to Reply # 1

US

When I say back up, i really mean just a 2nd camera. So I'm not looking for "cheap" or less then my D90 in any sense.

Kelly

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 03-Feb-13 11:50 PM
26565 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Which Camera"
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond, US

My inclination is to get another of your main camera, or as close as you can get. That way the controls will be the same, and you will use it equally without getting confused. The further afield you get - as an extreme example I used - once - a D3 and a D100 together interchangeably. It was confusing! My fingers kept going to the wrong buttons.

There's nothing at all wrong with a D7000 - you just haven't hit on the reasons that I would recommend it as the best buy.

I have the sense that you're really after an upgrade, but not saying why...

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 04-Feb-13 01:58 AM
25647 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Which Camera"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Kelly,

>My question: I read somewhere that if you do a lot of
>editing, post processing, that a higher MP camera will be
>better?

I think you are confusing PP with cropping. As long as you are not deeply cropping it should be a non-issue.

I have a D90 now and I'm looking for a 2nd camera.

>I was wondering if the higher MP count would be better since I
>do love to post process? I've heard the D7000 is a great
>camera and well built for the elements, i do shoot out in the
>snow.

If you plan on shooting in rain or snow, a quality rain cover is cheap insurance regardless of the camera body and lens that you are using.
It only takes one drop of water in the wrong place to damage your camera. I use Think Tank Hydrophobias and Aqua Tech rain covers.

>I want a back up because I've already had to send my D90 in
>for a repair and had to reschedule some people.
>
>Any input? I can go up to 1,200 in my budget but would rather
>I didn't.

Have you considered another D90?
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

kellyorourke Registered since 03rd Feb 2013Mon 04-Feb-13 02:34 AM
#8. "RE: Which Camera"
In response to Reply # 7

US

TY for your response. As I read the responses I asked myself why not just get another D90!I love this camera, it's been good to me. It's great that you should mention it!

Kelly

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Wed 06-Feb-13 03:12 AM
2974 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Which Camera"
In response to Reply # 0

McEwen, US

>My question: I read somewhere that if you do a lot of
>editing, post processing, that a higher MP camera will be
>better? I have a D90 now and I'm looking for a 2nd camera.
>
>What I do with my camera: I'm a hobbyist that does pet
>photography and all proceeds go to animal rescue groups. So
>I'm not out attempting to make income for myself aka weddings
>and such. I"m not looking for the best of the best.
>
>I was wondering if the higher MP count would be better since I
>do love to post process? I've heard the D7000 is a great
>camera and well built for the elements, i do shoot out in the
>snow.
>
>I want a back up because I've already had to send my D90 in
>for a repair and had to reschedule some people.
>
>Any input? I can go up to 1,200 in my budget but would rather
>I didn't.
>
>Kelly ( I know who to ask, Nikonians!)
>
>PS, I tried to repay for the silver and my card kept getting
>declined. I have the money! Not sure what's up. Will keep
>trying or just use paypal.

I have no input on the camera.... but you can call your debit card customer service and find out what the problem is. It may be that the charge is showing up as an international billing and their security is declining it.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

NikonMark37814 Registered since 20th May 2010Thu 07-Feb-13 12:47 AM
1125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Which Camera"
In response to Reply # 9

Morristown, US

Kelly, like you I'm an animal photographer. My wife and I voluteer at the local humane society and photograph most of critters there on a weekly basis. I usually place them on table and use two SB-600 fired through an umbrella controlled by my SB-800. Back to your question, for a second body I'd consider something like the D3200. We use a D2X, D300s and D700 and a zoom lens. I'm seriously considering the D3200 for the wife because she doesn't like the weight with flash attached compared to the other bodies.

mVs
D2x, D300s, D700 & D800

Photograffiti Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Apr 2006Thu 07-Feb-13 02:02 AM
452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Which Camera"
In response to Reply # 10

LA (Lower Arkansas), US

Although you say that you're not looking for the best of the best, the D7000 is just that - image-wise (DX), anyway. It performs exceptionally well at higher ISOs, has an excellent focusing system, wonderful ergonomics, a screw-driven motor for AF-D lenses, and can control Nikon's CLS. What more could you ask for?

My suggestion is this: Pick up a used D7000 and shoot with it a while. I regularly see them selling for $750. That will reduce your budget to about $450. After you shoot with it a while, you can sell your D90, add the proceeds to your original budget remainder, and pick up a backup D7000.

Problem solved.

Mark
www.markpricephotography.com

kellyorourke Registered since 03rd Feb 2013Sun 10-Feb-13 10:44 PM
#12. "RE: Which Camera"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Hi! I actually killed my d600. I've debated sending it for the 50 to have it looked at or buy a sb700. I would like two, to use as you suggested but the expense is just too much right now. I'm not sure how I did my sb600 in but it will not flash. I think i identically left my camera on continuous shoot mode, not giving the Sb600 time to catch up. Lesson learned. Ugh.

Kelly

kellyorourke Registered since 03rd Feb 2013Sun 10-Feb-13 10:46 PM
#13. "RE: Which Camera"
In response to Reply # 11

US

I was all set to get the D7000 when I got my D90. The sales person talked me into the D90. Which is a great camera. But I'm not sure he did it for all the right reasons. I've heard wonderful things about the D7000.

Kelly

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 10-Feb-13 11:35 PM
25647 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Which Camera"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Hi Kelly,

It is almost always significantly cheaper to have a Speedlight repaired than buying a new one or even a used on for that matter.
If you eventually want to add a second Speedlight keep in mind that the SB-600 can be used on camera or as a CLS remote.
If it was mine, I would have it repaired.

Best Regards,
Marty

kellyorourke Registered since 03rd Feb 2013Mon 11-Feb-13 03:49 AM
#15. "RE: Which Camera"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Hmmm, i may take it in then. I hate to have to buy a new one.

TY

Kelly

kellyorourke Registered since 03rd Feb 2013Mon 11-Feb-13 03:52 AM
#16. "RE: Which Camera"
In response to Reply # 14

US

So most of the time the sensor isn't dead?
I will take it to my camera store tomorrow....they said 50 bux to send in and if it can be fixed it goes toward the repair.

Kelly

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 11-Feb-13 04:32 AM
#17. "RE: Which Camera"
In response to Reply # 16

US

Hi Kelly,

You might want to call:

Authorized Photo Service

8125 River Drive, Suite 100
Morton Grove, IL 60053

Phone: 847-966-4091
Fax: 847-966-4101

They are a Nikon Authorized Service Station and are usually cheaper and faster than Nikon Service.
They will give you a free estimate and will not make the repair until you approve.
Of course you will have to pay for the shipping but it should be significantly less than $50.00.

Best Regards,
Marty

kellyorourke Registered since 03rd Feb 2013Mon 11-Feb-13 11:38 AM
#18. "RE: Which Camera"
In response to Reply # 17

US

TY TY TY

Kelly

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 11-Feb-13 12:59 PM
#19. "RE: Which Camera"
In response to Reply # 18

US

Hi Kelly,

You are very welcome.
Let us Know what they find.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7582 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.