Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7569
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Mounting AIS lens on D5100" Previous topic | Next topic
cyhusk Registered since 02nd Feb 2013Sat 02-Feb-13 11:37 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Mounting AIS lens on D5100"

US

I have a 50mm f/1.8 manual prime that i mount to my D5100. My question is, how far do I rotate the lens to get it to mount? The kit lens rotates until it clicks, but when i rotate the prime, it seems to stop before that. I don't want to force it any farther, for fear of breaking something! Please give me any help you can offer.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 03-Feb-13 01:46 AM
3317 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Mounting AIS lens on D5100"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 03-Feb-13 01:53 AM by Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US

When you mount the AIS 50mm f1.8 to the D5100, the lens aperture dot should fall directly under the K in Nikon on the front of the viewfinder housing. It doesn't matter what the aperture is set to, the dot is under the K when it clicks in.

Just make sure the aperture lever on the back of the lens springs back nicely when the lens is set to f22 so while looking at the blades they open to wide open from the nearly closed position when you press it with your finger. Also look for any damage to the mount.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

cyhusk Registered since 02nd Feb 2013Sun 03-Feb-13 02:10 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Mounting AIS lens on D5100"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks Leonard! Mount looks good, but it seems very tight when it gets to the "N". I afraid to rotate it that far. I'll take a closer look at the mount.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 03-Feb-13 02:46 AM
3317 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Mounting AIS lens on D5100"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 03-Feb-13 03:02 AM by Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US

The dot should not rotate all the way to the "N", only to the "K".

Len

edit: It should look like this when the lens is locked in place and set to f1.8. The black dot is hard to see but it's directly in front of the 1.8

Len

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

cyhusk Registered since 02nd Feb 2013Sun 03-Feb-13 02:55 AM
#4. "RE: Mounting AIS lens on D5100"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I was talking about the first N. Don't I line up the dot on the aperature ring with that of the camera and rotate counter clockwise? If so, I need to rotate past the first N to get to the K.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 04-Feb-13 06:08 PM
#5. "RE: Mounting AIS lens on D5100"
In response to Reply # 4
Mon 04-Feb-13 06:11 PM by Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US

Yes that's correct. You actually go past the "n" small N. I don't know why it won't rotate further if everything looks good.

Len

anymouse73 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jan 2013Sat 09-Feb-13 12:05 AM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Mounting AIS lens on D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

You may have this figured out by now, but...

I use the f/1.8D lens on a D3100. For mine to work, I must turn the aperture ring to F/22 and lock it in place. Otherwise it feels rough mounting it to the camera.

I'm not sure if the F/1.8 has an aperture ring lock on it or not. If not, just turn the ring to f/22 and leave it there. The camera will then set the aperture, same as a "G" lens.

Good luck,

Bob

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 09-Feb-13 12:18 AM
#7. "RE: Mounting AIS lens on D5100"
In response to Reply # 6

Hatboro, Pa, US

Manual focus lenses don't have aperture ring locks like the AF-D lenses do. I have no trouble mounting my lenses where ever the aperture is set.

Len

cyhusk Registered since 02nd Feb 2013Sat 09-Feb-13 01:15 AM
#8. "RE: Mounting AIS lens on D5100"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Thanks all! I have it figured out!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7569 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.