Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7308
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D3000 looking to upgrade" Previous topic | Next topic
Alfu Registered since 27th Dec 2012Fri 28-Dec-12 03:32 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D3000 looking to upgrade"

FR

Hi Nikonians

New to the site. I have a D3000 with a nikkor 18-200 lens. I have been taking lots of photos of my kids nothing adventurous.

Moved from point and shoot 3 years ago and this is my first DSLR bought new when launched. Was a bit disappointed that the model was replaces so fast and it being described as the "Nikons worst DSLR ever".

I used the camera and nikkor 18-55. Bought the 18-200 wanted a one lens does all but not very happy with the combination. Photos are now darker than before. When using the flash I now get a shadow from the lens.

I would like to do more adventurous things than just using the Auto Mode, bought the Nikon D3000 for Dummies...yeah I know not very original.

Would appreciate advise on how to move from Auto Mode and which camera to upgrade to the D5100 or D7000 or wait for the D5200.

Fuaad

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Sat 29-Dec-12 12:49 AM
277 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D3000 looking to upgrade"
In response to Reply # 0

Ayden, US

I have a D3000 and a D5100. Both are capable of taking excellent photos. The limiting factor is usually the photographer not the camera.

I have seen the "worse dslr" comments and wonder what the standard is. The D3000 has fewer features than other Nikons, but it was designed as the lowest level dslr. It filled that role well.

I do not use Auto Mode. My normal shooting mode is Aperture Preferred. It provides automation, while allowing me to change settings.

Laverne

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Sat 29-Dec-12 12:57 AM
569 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D3000 looking to upgrade"
In response to Reply # 0

Garretson, US

The only thing you need is the book 'Understanding Exposure' by Bryan Peterson.

And to ask a lot of questions here, the search engine I find a bit hard to work but there is a ton of info in these forums!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alfu Registered since 27th Dec 2012Sat 29-Dec-12 08:44 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D3000 looking to upgrade"
In response to Reply # 1

FR

Thanks

I was reading a thread about upgrade envy, I think that is what I am going through. I read the worst DSLR in a review by Ken Rockwell.

While buying the D3000 was debating against a D5000 they were both new models then. Opted for the D3000 because I didnt think that you would use a DSLR much for video but it is now becoming a standard.

The adjustable screen is an attractive feature for taking photos on difficult angles. When do you use the D3000 over the D5100?

I will get the book "Understanding Exposure" try different settings to get a better feel

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 29-Dec-12 11:14 PM
25732 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D3000 looking to upgrade"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Fuaad,

>.... Was a bit disappointed that the model was replaces so fast and >it being described as the "Nikons worst DSLR ever".

The D3000 is a very capable body. More so considering it is an entry level DSLR. It is actually much more capable than the Pro film bodies from the 1980's and 90's. I have never heard that it was considered Nikons worst DSLR ever. I would consider the source of that evaluation suspect at best. The IQ produced by the D3000 is better than the IQ produced by the D70s and D200, and neither of those bodies is considered less than excellent.

>I used the camera and nikkor 18-55. Bought the 18-200 wanted a
>one lens does all but not very happy with the combination.
>Photos are now darker than before.

Did you inadvertantly dial in any negitive Exposure Compensation or negitive Flash Compensation?

>When using the flash I now get a shadow from the lens.

You must have the zoom set to 24mm or wider and or you are using the lens hood. The 18-200mm will cause a shadow when used with the built-in Speedlight at focal lengths 24mm and wider or when the lens hood is on the lens. See page 160 in the D3000 Users Manual.

Using a Speedlight like the SB-600 or SB-700 will prevent this problem.

>I would like to do more adventurous things than just using the
>Auto Mode, bought the Nikon D3000 for Dummies...yeah I know
>not very original.

As stated above, Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson will help get you up and running in Manual exposure mode.

>Would appreciate advise on how to move from Auto Mode and
>which camera to upgrade to the D5100 or D7000 or wait for the
>D5200.

Again; Read Understanding Exposure. Your D3000 should be more than enough camera to get you up and running in Manual exposure mode.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Sun 30-Dec-12 01:26 AM
277 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D3000 looking to upgrade"
In response to Reply # 3

Ayden, US

>The adjustable screen is an attractive feature for taking photos on difficult angles.

I used TLRs for years, and like the ability to shoot at waist level. The articulating display is good for that.

>When do you use the D3000 over the D5100?

I am working on two personal projects. One is abandoned buildings, the other is waters edge. When I go out to shoot for either of these, I take the D5100. I want its higher resolution. In lower light situations, I also use the D5100.

I grab the D3000 for more casual uses. Family shots, when I am just walking about and want a lightweight DSLR. Mine has a wrist strap making it easy to carry.

I am sure the D3000 could meet all my needs, but I like the D5100.

Laverne

Alfu Registered since 27th Dec 2012Tue 01-Jan-13 03:23 PM
#6. "RE: D3000 looking to upgrade"
In response to Reply # 4

FR

Thanks

Just ordered Understanding Exposure on Amazon. Should receive it in a few days.

Regards

Fuaad

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Tue 01-Jan-13 09:56 PM
569 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D3000 looking to upgrade"
In response to Reply # 6
Thu 03-Jan-13 08:55 PM by John Bertotti

Garretson, US

I read the first half three full times a d did a bunch of experimenting before tackling the second half. The book is quite useful and well written. I only have a D3200 and like everyone even after the purchase I searched the web to see what others thought. I love it but it see there are a bunch that don't care much for it. Who cares! I find it takes great pics has great resolution and I can Crop the heck out of it if needed. Don't let the opinions of others on the web drag you down.

MattNQ Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Thu 03-Jan-13 06:14 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D3000 looking to upgrade"
In response to Reply # 0

AU

Hi Alfu,

Firstly ignore the "Nikon's worst DSLR ever" tag. It is what it is. A camera with good points and bad points. IQ is very good. If you can't get good images from this camera there are other issues in play. One of my favourite articles about this topic is by Thom Hogan.
http://www.bythom.com/blame.htm

The D3000 loves nice lenses. I have an Nikkor 80-200/2.8 & Sigma 14/2.8. I am pleased with the results.

For me, the limitations of the D3000 are Poor ISO performance at 800 & over, no mirror up or live view, plus no direct connection grip option and only one programmable button.

Work on your technique & knowledge, buy some good glass, and by then you'll probably have a better idea of what you need in a new body.

Matt
----
"I started on a camel, and I will finish on a camel" Winston Churchill

My Smugmug Gallery
http://mattlarsen.smugmug.com/

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7308 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.