Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7212
View in threaded mode

Subject: "A new lens" Previous topic | Next topic
boigjen Registered since 11th Dec 2012Tue 11-Dec-12 09:54 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"A new lens"

US

Hi everyone. I am looking at getting a new lens for my d5100. I have the two kit lenses, the 18-55 and 55-200mm. I would like a macro lens to take pictures up close. I do not have the money to spend on the more expensive lens but was looking at the AF-S DX Micro-NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G. I don't need the best lens but I would like to get a good one that I won't feel the need to replace in a few years when I may be able to spend more. I would rather save my pennies now and wait a little longer. Any thoughts?

Jenny

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 12-Dec-12 12:59 AM
4625 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: A new lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

I don't shoot any macro myself; but according to a few of my coworkers who shoot a lot of macros, the longer focal lengths tend to be better for the beginners because the working distance from the lens to the subject is bigger and thus easier to deal with. For that reason, the 105mm might be a better option; but it is at a much bigger price tag.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 12-Dec-12 03:11 AM
26427 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: A new lens"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Jenny,

What Macro Subjects are you interested in shooting?
For Flowers and static subjects, the 40mm f/2.8G AF-S DX Micro should be fine.
For shooting insects or live subjects, a longer focal length like the 85mm f/3.5G ED AF-S DX VR Micro ($526.95 US) will provide more working distance.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Pacman32 Registered since 13th Nov 2012Wed 12-Dec-12 05:41 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: A new lens"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 12-Dec-12 05:49 PM by Pacman32

US

I'm no macro expert, but in my limited experience, the longer focal lengths are preferable. This is certainly true when dealing with subjects that might move or fly away if you get too close.

Since it is a macro lens, I would not worry too much about auto focus capabilities -- you should be on a tripod and manually focusing. That being said, a great budget lens would be a used Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro. It won't auto-focus with your camera, but again... From what I read about it a few years ago when I was looking at macro lenses, it holds its own with the Nikkor 105mm macro, and some people say it is sharper. There may be a newer version that has a built-in motor that would auto focus with your camera, making it useable for non-macro applications.

By the way, when I used my tamron, I wished I had more focal length, but I think it would have cost me quite a bit more money given what was out there. Most people think that the old nikkor 200mm AF macro lens is a great one, and the (may be getting this wrong) sigma 150mm macro is also a lens that gets great reviews. If the sigma is HSM (I think it is?), it would auto focus, so it would be a good general telephoto lens as well.

By the way, all of these lenses are great portrait lenses.

Tippi Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jan 2003Mon 17-Dec-12 10:17 PM
171 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: A new lens"
In response to Reply # 0

US

My suggestion- rent it first.
I rented a NIkon 105 macro and used it on all my cameras. I found I did not like it all that much. I then rented a 60mm and liked it better.

What I ended up buying was a Tamron 90mm becuase they had a rebate at the time and since I knew I was not shooting macro very much (ring shots, playing at home) I could not justify that extra expense for a lens specifically for macro.

Macro - true macro is a different type of shooting and has a learning curve.

For portraits I use my 70-200mm if I am looking for some good bokeh.

ts

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Mon 17-Dec-12 11:12 PM
300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: A new lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Ayden, US

I went with the 85mm f3.5 Micro Nikkor. It is 1/2 stop slower than the Tamron 90mm but it has VR. It is a good moderate telephoto with the D5100. I have been very satisfied with mine.

Laverne

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Wed 19-Dec-12 05:51 PM
289 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: A new lens"
In response to Reply # 5
Thu 20-Dec-12 12:21 PM by grnzbra

Springfield, US

Unless you need the extra speed, your 18-55 kit lens should do just fine. It, too, focuses down to 6 inches. However, it is a zoom lens, so a prime might do better. On the second page of my flora and fauna galary there is a picture of a tan moth (or is it a butterfly) sucking on a pink flower (14211) that I shot with the 18-55. Keep in mind that the original size of this pic is the maximum size that a D5100 will shoot. When viewed full size, the individual lenses of the moth's eye become visible. (Well almost, but still, it's a very sharp pic from the 18-55 lens.)

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Thu 20-Dec-12 02:07 AM
807 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: A new lens"
In response to Reply # 6
Thu 20-Dec-12 02:08 AM by cwils02

HIXSON, US

Pretty sure this is a species of Skipper Butterfly. The way these things flit & dart, it is very difficult to get a good image of one. Congratulations on a great get!

Here is a slighly different species/taxon/???

elopidas_sp.jpg" alt="" />

I've been trying to get a photo of a slightly different version with little luck.

Charlie

kenjifujiwara Registered since 17th Oct 2012Mon 25-Feb-13 02:03 AM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: A new lens"
In response to Reply # 4
Mon 25-Feb-13 02:05 AM by kenjifujiwara

US

>
>
>For portraits I use my 70-200mm if I am looking for some good
>bokeh.
>
>

I also added a new 70-300mm lens for my D5100.
( have same 18-55mm & 55-200mm lens now)

Gets good portraits/bokeh also.

lynell Registered since 03rd Mar 2013Sun 03-Mar-13 05:09 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: A new lens"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I have the 85mm f3.5 Micro Nikkor and I have been very happy with it. First day out shooting with it I took some amazing close ups of flowers I can not wait for spring to use it more often.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Mon 04-Mar-13 01:39 AM
586 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#10. "RE: A new lens"
In response to Reply # 6

Martinsville, US

the 18-55 mm lens did really well on closeup Macro looking photos I took of some Peony Buds I took with my D3000 (haven't tried to do the same with 3200).

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Tue 05-Mar-13 12:29 AM
3088 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: A new lens"
In response to Reply # 0

McEwen, US

I don't know anything about macro lenses except what I read here. Many users on the macro forum seem to like around 100 mm focal length.

If you find a lens you really want, but can't afford, look for a used version. People sell lenses all the time for a variety of reasons, that doesn't mean there's something wrong with them.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Tue 05-Mar-13 03:14 AM
807 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: A new lens"
In response to Reply # 9

HIXSON, US

Lynell,

Wecome to Nikonians!

Please put some of those closeups (butterflies?) on your Gallery.

Enjoy your time here.

Charlie

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Tue 05-Mar-13 03:20 AM
#13. "RE: A new lens"
In response to Reply # 10

HIXSON, US

>the 18-55 mm lens did really well on closeup Macro looking
>photos I took of some Peony Buds I took with my D3000 (haven't
>tried to do the same with 3200).

Phillip,

My Exif editor thinks you took this with a 35mm f/1.8.

Charlie

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Tue 05-Mar-13 12:57 PM
586 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#14. "RE: A new lens"
In response to Reply # 13
Wed 06-Mar-13 01:36 PM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

You are correct sir. The day I took the flower shot I used for majority of the shots the 18-55mm But I did use the 35mm on some. I had to get up real close and personal to get the tight shoot. My apologies for misleading it wasn't intentional. I just didn't read the information provided on my Gallery

BTW way I just order the 10-24MM Nikor lens. was a big chunk o' change but I saved a 100 bucks by buying from J&R. I've got a specific idea in mind for using it.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 05-Mar-13 10:07 PM
26427 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: A new lens"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Hi Phillip,

Congratulations on your new lens!
Enjoy!
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7212 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.