Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4944
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D5100 vs D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
bushwack1 Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Mar 2010Mon 19-Dec-11 06:16 PM
114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 vs D7000"

Grand Marais, US

Hi, I'm looking to upgrade from D40 and D60, and looking at these two, I shoot wildlife, macro, landscapes, cameras are with me all the time so I shoot anything that catches my eye, not sure if these two will photo stack? i want to try that. I know there is a price diff. any suggestions. thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Chiguy Registered since 28th Sep 2010Tue 20-Dec-11 03:20 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: D5100 vs D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Oak Foest, US

Well I went with the 5100 mainly because it offers the adjustable screen that pops out and lets you shoot from all kinds of angles to get different perspectives. The 7000 is better build quality and weather sealed so there are trade offs

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 20-Dec-11 06:28 PM
26186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5100 vs D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi David,

The D7000 has a penta prism viewfinder that is brighter than the penta mirror viewfinder in the D5100. In addition the D7000 has slightly more resolution, a better AF system, an AF motor built into the camera body providing full compatibility with All AF Nikon F mount lenses with the exception of the 80mm f/2.8 and the 200mm f/3.5 made for the F3AF, Compatibility with AI, AI modified and AIS type MF Nikon F mount lenses, a faster FPS rate, the MB-D11, etc......
GoOS Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Magnum164 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2011Tue 20-Dec-11 09:12 PM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5100 vs D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I went with the D5100 as it had close (not same) to the same features as the D7000, but I wanted the flip screen since I have a neck injury and the tilt screen in certain situations can help a lot (low or high shots).

However I am also considering selling my D50 and buying the D7000 as an all around camera and saving the D5100 for those awkward shots and movies.

That being said, you can also go to nikonusa.com and select the cameras and get a side by side comparison.

just wish I knew more about any upcoming and new Nikon cameras, I am sure they are do for a new release.

bushwack1 Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Mar 2010Wed 21-Dec-11 09:43 AM
114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5100 vs D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

Grand Marais, US

Thanks I'll give nikonusa a try.

Magnum164 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2011Wed 21-Dec-11 04:15 PM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D5100 vs D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Let us know.

BTW. The money burnt clean through my pocket today. I ordered a D7000 (refurbished) as replacement for my D50 as backup/second camera, or perhaps main?

NDGraham Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2007Mon 26-Dec-11 05:10 PM
621 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D5100 vs D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Dorval (Montreal), CA

I just got a D7000 and I really love it.
It is tricky to use the autofocus through the viewfinder well. The LiveView seems to have a much sharper autofocus capability for some reason.
But the colour quality and texture, especially in indoor shots, are terrific!
It is notably faster than my D300 as well which is a pleasure to use.
In general, I am learning the special qualities of the camera and enjoying it.

Neill
Proud to be a Montreal Nikonian
http://picasaweb.google.com/NeillDGraham

Magnum164 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2011Mon 26-Dec-11 05:28 PM
#7. "RE: D5100 vs D7000"
In response to Reply # 6

US

You probably already know, but be sure to adjust the diopter for your eyes. I have to keep remembering mine is set for glasses off which makes it hard to use when my glasses are on.

DVDMike Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2003Thu 29-Dec-11 10:32 PM
2213 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D5100 vs D7000"
In response to Reply # 6

Metro Atlanta, US

I really want to "upgrade" my D300. I like the idea of the 5100 articulating LCD. But I appreciate the better build quality of the D7000 and two card slots. It is interesting that you say that the 7000 is much faster than the D300. I find the D300 to be no slouch for AF speed. Its really almost as good as my D3 in this regard. So can anyone say how the D5100 compares to the D300?

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 03-Jan-12 03:13 AM
3170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D5100 vs D7000"
In response to Reply # 8

Monterey Bay, US

It is very hard to compare a D5100 and D300.
Nearly everything about them is different and not made for the same purpose.

However, many of the same components are shared with the D7000 including the Sensor.
The D7000 has a metal body, better sealing, dual card slots. bigger battery and many more controls.

The D5100 is cheaper, smaller, lighter, has a very good articulating screen and shoots HD1080 video at 30fps.

DSW90049 Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2012Sat 14-Apr-12 03:43 PM
177 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D5100 vs D7000"
In response to Reply # 9

Los Angeles, US

Came back to this thread because, now that I've been using the D5100 for a few months, and re-acquiring some of my lost lenses and acquiring and using more (having great fun doing it all), plus brushing up on my old, but a bit outdated, skills, and learning more - here, in particular - I'm now wishing that I had some of what the D7000 offers. More detailed focus options, two card slots, weather-proofing, a more rugged build, are a few - also, more shutter speed options.

Am I nuts? Is this just our old friend NAS talking? Or, does this make sense for a fairly advanced amateur who now realizes that the D5100 may be not be a sufficiently advanced camera for me and my skill level? I note that one poster in this thread said they were using their D5100 now as backup since acquiring a D7000 - I've been using my aged, but still perfect, D70 (all 6 MP of it) for that. Now, I could have two serviceable backup bodies, and I do appreciate the size of the D5100.

Should I wait to see what other DX bodies Nikon comes up with this year, just wait and see if this makes sense, or what?

I appreciate the thoughts of others on this. . .

OldCodger Registered since 15th Oct 2011Sun 15-Apr-12 12:33 PM
590 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D5100 vs D7000"
In response to Reply # 7
Sun 15-Apr-12 12:35 PM by OldCodger

Sawbridgeworth Hertfordshire, GB

I second that, once it is set up properly it makes a huge difference to the focusing - until my eye glasses go and ruin the effect!
Richard

niakapa Registered since 07th Nov 2011Tue 17-Apr-12 03:28 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D5100 vs D7000"
In response to Reply # 10

US

No, it is not just NAS. The D7000 is indeed miles better. I agonized like you and then went for the D5100. I used it for a few months, loved the sensor quality, but kept gravitating back to looking at the D7000.

In January I bought a used D7000 from a nikonian and love it! I have sold my d5100 now (thankfully, before the recent Nikon price drops, so didn't incur a big loss).

Pluses of d7000:

(a) Hugely better viewfinder. It isn't quite as large as the old viewfinders in Nikon film cameras, but it is much better than the tiny one on the d5100. My wife used to complain about having to squint for the d5100. I too can't compose well while squinting like that.

(b) Pro features like dual slots, custom shooting mode, longer battery life, ability to meter and focus with AIS lenses (I have a 100/2.8 AIS that I sometimes bring out for portraits)

(c) much better ergonomics and feel (if you shot with old film SLRs you will know what I mean).

Just the viewfinder and the feel alone make it worth the extra $$ for me.

Try buying a d7000 used around here; if you don't find it a worthwhile you can just sell it again without a huge loss.

ps I rarely shoot video though.

niakapa Registered since 07th Nov 2011Tue 17-Apr-12 03:35 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D5100 vs D7000"
In response to Reply # 12

US

ps The extra buttons on the D7000 are also really handy. I don't find myself diving into menus while shooting, which I was constantly doing with the d5100.

I have set up my custom shooting mode for my shooting style. If my kids borrow my camera for a few minutes, when I get it back all I have to do is switch to my custom shooting mode and I'm ready to shoot again. This feature alone is worth a lot to me.

tnjbrown Registered since 29th Mar 2012Fri 20-Apr-12 04:21 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D5100 vs D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I had a similar dilemma coming from my d50. I chose the d5100 and two afs kit lenses. Head and shoulders above my d50 for af speed and accuracy as well as I think the d5100 is even easier to use, eve using the menu to change a few settings.

I'm sure the d7000 would be evn better with he larger viewfinder, but it's a compromise. I have to say I've already had the articulating screen be very useful grabbing a few shots above the crowds heads at spot events that I'd never have otherwise gotten. Honestly I don't think the small viewfinder is all that bad... Smaller yes but still very usable.

I threw a $20 third party grip on it and it way easier to get a grip on now and just feels more substantial with my afs 80-200 2.8 on board... With the added plus of taking it off and using a small light lens when I want to be portable and lightweight.

Auto ISO is one of my other favorites. Set the max and minimum ISO and use M mode to get whatever dof and shutter combo I want without worrying at all about having to mess with ISO to get the right exposure. Couldn't do that with my d50 unless I just didn't realize how . And with such good ISO Performance I dont even worry about maxing out at 6400 either.

Very happy with the d5100 and don't regret not choosing the 7000 at all, even for the action/sports stuff I do a lot of at kids sporting events. A vast improvement over my d50.

jimmills Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Dec 2010Sat 21-Apr-12 02:03 PM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D5100 vs D7000"
In response to Reply # 14

Fort Walton Beach, FL, US

I solved the problem by getting one of each, a D5100 and a D7000. After having used them for a little while, if I had to suddenly have just one of them, it would be the D7000, hands down, easily, no contest at all. As it is, the D7000 is my main camera and the D5100, in theory, is the back-up. I do use both of the cameras. When the macro lens is brought out, it always goes on the D5100. At age 70, lying on the ground while trying to photograph a bug is neither convenient nor comfortable. Therefore, the articulating LCD panel on the D5100 is worth its weight in gold. When attempting to photograph birds in flight, the D7000 is always the one in use due to its superior auto focus functions.

Jim

Magnum164 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2011Sat 21-Apr-12 03:11 PM
#16. "RE: D5100 vs D7000"
In response to Reply # 15

US

I have both as well, but after a recent outing I realized I was using my D7000 so much, I forgot most of the commands for the D5100. So I am considering getting another D7000 and perhaps either selling the D5100 or keeping it as a loaner or back-back up.

I bought the angled eye adapter for the D7000, I found out that in the bright sunlight of the south I can't see the screen on either the D7000 or D5100 outside. Most of my pics I had to take, then go review somewhere else under the shade or something anyway. The LCD only helps me in low light conditions.

DannyGordon Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jun 2011Sat 28-Apr-12 06:59 PM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: D5100 vs D7000"
In response to Reply # 16

BR

The problem is that you cannot find any new D7K around.
Since many months ago there's not a single unit of a brand new D7000 in any major stores.

I bought my first digital SLR (have had a film one in the past) a bit more than a year ago.
Went for a D5100 in loco at B&H.
At that time they had D7000s in stock.
I now regret not have taken the plunge to a D7000, in general a better camera than the D5100.
The image quality is practically the same of course, but there are many more features in the D7000.

But now I will go to the brand new D800 or wait the release of a new DX such as the replacement for the D300 if this will exist sometime.

I just hope I can find them in stores when the time to buy a new body comes.

paul1208 Registered since 24th Mar 2012Wed 20-Jun-12 04:09 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: D5100 vs D7000"
In response to Reply # 17

US

I have a D5000 after comparing and contrasting to D90. I really like the articulating screen. It helps tremendously with dog and animal portraits, street portraits and street shots of people, and some macro photography of flowers. I'm not terribly familiar with D7000 but I know it has a fixed screen. I would think that choice of camera depends on what you are doing with the images. If photo competition in camera club, D5100 should be perfectly good. If professional, go with D7000, D800 or new full-frame D4.

Magnum164 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2011Wed 20-Jun-12 05:44 PM
#19. "RE: D5100 vs D7000"
In response to Reply # 18

US

I had both the d5100 and D7000 on my recent vacation trip. While the D7000 I used for his higher MP with a wide angle lense, I kept a 70-200 Sigma on the D5100.

Only problem I had was I kept bumping the D7000 from Aperture mode to Manual mode. I lost half my pictures from Daytona because on the walk up to the grand stands I bumped the camera out of A mode into M mode. They really need a lock on that. But since I had already checked my test shots, I just fired away and did not realize till I got back they were all over exposed.

I know, my fault I should have checked. But when using A mode, it should just really be point and click and generally is. But for some reason on this trip, twice I bumped the camera into M mode.

Or.... I was in St. Augustine as well. Perhaps it was a ghost? Hmmmmm.....

Oh on a side note (after the Daytona Trip). My D7000 somehow fell out of my camera bag..... The sound of a several thousand dollars hitting cobble stone can really break your mood. Only damage, was a broken $150 UV filter and lense hood (and ego). I could not zip the bag all the way shut, but there was really no way it should have fell out... Ghosts again maybe? Anyway... The point is, that D7000 is built rock solid. Does not even look like it was scratched in the fall. I might send the camera and lense in later in the winter, just for a checkup.

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Wed 20-Jun-12 07:53 PM
807 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: D5100 vs D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

HIXSON, US

Like several others on here, I bought a D5100 & used it all of last summer. In April of this year, I bought a D7000. I had no problem finding a new one.

The articulating screen on the D5100 might be handy for some, but all I could see was my reflection. Really difficult to see what I was trying to shoot. In some cases, I totally missed the desired subject. I shot video & stills while still at the same venues. I found that it was the easiest to shoot Aperture mode only. I set the Fn to control ISO. The big problem I had with the D5100 had to do with the inconvenient placing (due to placement of articulating screen) or lack of controls. Only one command wheel.

Hardly ever use the D5100 anymore. If I do, it will probably be to use in multiple camera situations. At track meets, I sometimes need different lens. It is often inconvenient to change lens in the middle of an event.

jameskuzman Registered since 14th May 2012Thu 21-Jun-12 04:04 PM
59 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: D5100 vs D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Windermere, US

I had a short internal debate with myself when I was shopping recently as well.

Both cameras use the same 16.2 sensor, so image quality should be similar if not the same on both.

There is a significant price difference. I kept thinking about lenses being more of a long-term investment than camera bodies, and thought perhaps the money I'd save on the D5100 body would be better spent on glass.

In the end, I went with the D7000 for the following reasons:

1) INTERNAL FOCUS MOTOR. I already had some AF Nikkors that would not have worked on the D5100 body with it's lack of a built-in motor. To replace these lenses with their AF-S counterparts would have cost me more than what I'd save by buying the D5100.

2) TWO COMMAND DIALS. Absolutely invaluable for keeping quick and separate control over some camera functions - particular shutter speed and aperture when in manual mode.

3) DEDICATED BUTTONS. The D3100 improved the Nikon menu structure significantly, but the D5100 and D7000 are clinging to a menu system that (in my view) needs to be blown up and started from scratch. Yes, you get used to it in time like all things, but it reminds me of a house that's been added on to over the years. The D7000 has several important functions brought out to dedicated buttons, and that's invaluable. Anything that keeps you out of the menus is a good thing in my opinion.

4) DUAL SD CARD SLOTS. Granted, card failure (with good brands) is rare, but having the option to back up files in real time has value. If Card 2 is set up as a backup, you can pull it out, pop it in the laptop, do some transfers, reviews, or edits, and still have a card in the camera. I have mine set up to shoot RAW on Card 1 and JPEG on Card 2.

5) BUILD QUALITY/CONSTRUCTION. Depending upon how you use your camera, this may make no difference at all. I baby my gear and don't go rock climbing with it - not my style. But if it should slip out of my hands or accidentally bang into something, I like the idea of something a little more solid. Was it a deal breaker for me? No, but it's nice piece of mind and feels good in-hand.

6) ARTICULATED SCREEN. If I was shooting a lot of video, I think I would appreciated this option, but I don't. In fact, I'm not even a huge fan of live view. I prefer to look through the viewfinder (guess I'm a little old school). I also worry about those screens adding an additional point of failure to the camera. How many twists and flips before there's a problem? Again, maybe a needless worry, but my personal preference is for less complexity here.

Would I hesitate to recommend a D5100 to anyone, particular if cost is an issue? Not at all! But the D7000 had some definite advantages for my shooting style and existing stock of lenses that made it the right choice for me.

Jim

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Fri 22-Jun-12 04:23 AM
807 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: D5100 vs D7000"
In response to Reply # 21

HIXSON, US

>>"In fact, I'm not even a huge fan of live view."<< Amen!!!

Unfortunately, that's the only way you can shoot video.

Charlie

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4944 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.