nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

My D5000 does not click when I press the shutter

madhurimasil

IN
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
madhurimasil Registered since 23rd Sep 2010
Thu 23-Sep-10 04:57 AM

Hi,

I have been facing a problem while taking pictures. The camera at times does not click when i press the shutter. I am not able to locate the reason for this. I tried various modes Auto/Manual/Program with AF and MF both, but it does not click.
It shows me an alert to use flash... but why should i get this alert if i am on manual mode and that too in day light.

Please help.

Thanks,
Madhurima

jpFoto

US
1114 posts

#1. "RE: My D5000 does not click when I press the shutter" | In response to Reply # 0

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010
Thu 23-Sep-10 09:29 PM

Hi - I'm not that familiar with the D5000, but look at page 55 of your owner's manual.

On my camera, I have a menu choice regarding focus and release. I can program it to release anytime, even if the subject is not in focus, or I can program it to release only when the subject is in focus. It would appear that your camera is programmed to release only when the subject is in focus. I don't know if you can change that setting or not. Also, on page 55, Nikon suggests that in low light situations, autofocus may have trouble focusing on the subject.

Either way, I don't think that there is anything wrong with your camera. I'm sure that another Nikonian will probably follow up with some more accurate information, so check back again.

madhurimasil

IN
2 posts

#2. "RE: My D5000 does not click when I press the shutter" | In response to Reply # 1

madhurimasil Registered since 23rd Sep 2010
Fri 24-Sep-10 04:55 AM

Thanks so much.. will check it out!

Tippi

US
171 posts

#3. "RE: My D5000 does not click when I press the shutter" | In response to Reply # 2

Tippi Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jan 2003
Sun 17-Oct-10 11:10 PM

Did you ever figure this out?

I bought the d5000 recently. While my other cameras can be programmed to shoot even when out of focus, I have not found a way to program the d5000 to do this.

I prefer it to shoot and let me make the decisions- I primarily shoot in manual but like to use AF when I need it.

ts

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
5770 posts

#4. "RE: My D5000 does not click when I press the shutter" | In response to Reply # 3

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Mon 18-Oct-10 04:29 AM

If you put the auto-focus mode into "continuous", the camera will fire with or without focus being achieved.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

gkaiseril

Chicago, US
6739 posts

#5. "RE: My D5000 does not click when I press the shutter" | In response to Reply # 3

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Mon 18-Oct-10 07:48 PM

See pages 54 & 55 of your user manual for a discussion of the various focus modes.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

G