Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1115
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Just bought a D3000" Previous topic | Next topic
unclemark Registered since 13th Jun 2009Sat 02-Jan-10 05:02 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Just bought a D3000"

Gardena, US

Hi All, I posted along time ago that I was going to buy a D90, but due to budget restraints I bought a D3000 being so affordable. Besides the lens that comes with it, what is the best all around lens I can buy to add to my collection?

Thanks

Mark

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 02-Jan-10 01:42 PM
26706 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Just bought a D3000"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

For what purpose? And what's the budget?

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberSat 02-Jan-10 01:44 PM
10651 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Just bought a D3000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Please also fill in your profile for the equipment tab. This will avoid making redundant recommendations. Thanks!

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

unclemark Registered since 13th Jun 2009Sat 02-Jan-10 01:49 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Just bought a D3000"
In response to Reply # 1

Gardena, US

I shoot lots of landscaping and a lot of family pictures, my budget is around 300 dollars.
Thanks
Mark

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 03-Jan-10 02:02 AM
26706 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Just bought a D3000"
In response to Reply # 3

Richmond, US

I guess I asked the wrong question. What is it that your kit lens does not do that you need to do? (I'm presuming you have the 18-55, is that correct? Some folks seem to have the 18-105 instead, which is quite a difference.)

To a first approximation, even the 18-55 does a pretty good job of landscaping and family pictures.

_____

unclemark Registered since 13th Jun 2009Sun 03-Jan-10 02:42 AM
#5. "RE: Just bought a D3000"
In response to Reply # 4

Gardena, US

Yes mine came with the 18-55, Takes good pictures, I guess I can leave it alone. Just wondering if there were other lenses I could add to my kit.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 03-Jan-10 11:14 AM
26081 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Just bought a D3000"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Mark,

If you are looking for something wider for shooting lanscapes the Sigma 10mm - 20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM at $479.00 would be the least expensive choice.
If you could be more specific as to what photographic problem you are trying to solve, we can provide more suggestions.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 03-Jan-10 03:05 PM
#7. "RE: Just bought a D3000"
In response to Reply # 5
Sun 03-Jan-10 03:07 PM by blw

Richmond, US

> Just wondering if there were other lenses I could add to my kit.

There certainly are. In fact, there are literally dozens - there might even be a hundred (Nikon alone offer 40+, and Sigma has a similar sized offering) - but they are nearly all well above your $300 budget, even used. For example, that Sigma 10-20 that Marty mentioned is about $375 used and $500 new. The Nikon 10-24 is about $900.

But more to the point, they are all solutions to photographic problems. If you don't have those problems, they're a waste of money.

_____

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Sun 03-Jan-10 03:08 PM
51152 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Just bought a D3000"
In response to Reply # 5

East Frisia, DE

Mark,

you could also take a 55-200 or 70-300.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1115 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.