Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6274
View in threaded mode

Subject: "What type of video files" Previous topic | Next topic
grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Wed 27-Jun-12 04:44 PM
289 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What type of video files"
Wed 27-Jun-12 06:15 PM by grnzbra

Springfield, US

I shot about 35 short segments of video with my d5100 set at 1080 and 30 fps. The instructions say that with the proper cable, I can view these as HD on my HD tv. When I downloaded them to my computer for editing with the ViewNX2 (I'm working from memory here so I may not have that name right - the post processing movie editor that comes with the camera), I get a bunch of .MOV files. After editing and hitting the Make Movie icon, I end up with another .MOV file. Now I want to save this to a disk and play it on my Blue Ray player. Will the .MOV file play on the player or does it have to be converted to something else? Will they be HD (either as .MOV if that can be used or whatever I have to convert it to if .MOV can't be used)?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Jimmy Olsen Registered since 26th Jun 2012Thu 28-Jun-12 02:20 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What type of video files"
In response to Reply # 0

Roxbury, US

Hi,

If you want to play your clips in a blu-ray player you will need to make your clips into a format that is compatible for DVD. There is a piece of software that does an excellent job of this for you. It's quick and relatively easy to do. It's called ConvertXtoDVD. Google it.

I'm wondering if your TV will play files from a Thumb drive memory? The newer HDTV's that have the SmartHD designation will all play files from a USB type drive. On some TV's you may have to rename the file from .MOV to .MP4 these are both Quicktime formats, as some TV's look exclusively for the MP4 designation.

Your file straight out of the camera are in the MP4 stream format and are only named MOV.

Regards!

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Thu 28-Jun-12 12:01 PM
289 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What type of video files"
In response to Reply # 1

Springfield, US

Thanks. I just checked it out. Looks good. I'll try it out.

rgsindc Registered since 23rd Dec 2011Thu 28-Jun-12 06:54 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What type of video files"
In response to Reply # 0

US

.mov is apple quicktime format and the native format of the Nikon and when you create a DVD the S/W re-encodes the video suitable for play.....you should not have to make a special conversion.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6274 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.