Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6225
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Nikon D3100 Can I use this card ?" Previous topic | Next topic
Mike7777 Registered since 23rd Jun 2012Sat 23-Jun-12 06:42 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D3100 Can I use this card ?"

GB

Hi all

I have just purchased a Nikon D3100 and wondered if I can use this card : SanDisk 32GB 45MB/s Extreme HD Video SDHC Card.

I understand a SDHC card is ok it's just the 'Extreme HD video' reference is confusing me in terms of use in this camera.

Many thanks for any help and time.

Regards

Mike

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Sat 23-Jun-12 07:24 AM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D3100 Can I use this card ?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Mike

That card will work just great in your camera.

Here is a link to an explanation of the terms, but there are many other sites that you can research for more technical information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

jP

Mike7777 Registered since 23rd Jun 2012Sat 23-Jun-12 08:19 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D3100 Can I use this card ?"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

jP

Many thanks for your speedy response the reference to HD video really confused me ...but maybe that just me.

Thanks again

Mike

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 23-Jun-12 02:03 PM
25585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D3100 Can I use this card ?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Mike,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Congratulations on your new D3100.
As JP wrote above, the Sandisk memory card will work in your D3100.
I would recommend that you format the card in the camera before you capture your first image.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Sat 23-Jun-12 03:27 PM
2972 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D3100 Can I use this card ?"
In response to Reply # 0

McEwen, US

The Extreme HD Video part of the name is just telling you that it is a very high-speed card. It can be written to fast enough to handle HD Video without a problem. So it will definitely handle your camera speed.

The Sandisk cards I have are the next step slower, and once in a while shooting fast in RAW mode, they will hold me up while writing to the card. The camera memory buffer is pretty good but you can fill it up with fast shooting & big files. The hold-up is never more than a few seconds, and I've never missed a shot because of it, but it is a little disconcerting.

The Sandisk web site has lots of good info about their cards.

And as others said, format it before use, and after each time you delete files. This helps prevent corrupted files.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6225 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.