Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6067
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D3100 Shooting Dark" Previous topic | Next topic
DrewWalden Registered since 02nd Jun 2012Sat 02-Jun-12 02:18 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D3100 Shooting Dark"

US

My wifes D3100 has been shooting dark for no apparent reason. Also, the focus seems to be a little off. I have included a picture for comprisons sake. What do you guys think?

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l628/Drew_Walden/2003%20Yz85/Comparison.jpg

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sat 02-Jun-12 08:59 PM
1966 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D3100 Shooting Dark"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Welcome to Nikonians Drew.

It would be helpful if you had posted separate pictures with the EXIF data intact so that we can analyze the camera settings.

But having said that, the first thing that comes to my mind is that you have some minus EC (exposure compensation) dialed in.

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 03-Jun-12 06:11 AM
25562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D3100 Shooting Dark"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Drew,

Welcome to Nikonians!
I agree with Pete, make sure that she didn't inadvertantly dial in Negitive Exposure Compensation should be the first thing to check.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

DrewWalden Registered since 02nd Jun 2012Sun 03-Jun-12 10:34 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D3100 Shooting Dark"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Both Cameras were set exactly the same.

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sun 03-Jun-12 11:30 PM
1966 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D3100 Shooting Dark"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Unfortunately that doesn't tell us much. A sample image with the EXIF data enact would help a lot.

When you say set the same, exactly what are you referring to? In fact even if you think you have the same settings, each camera could potentially give a different result. For example the D3100 uses the Expeed 2 processing engine with Picture Controls that allow it much better control of image rendition than possible with the D60, not to mention a different look.

So it would not suprise me if you had the same shutter speed, f-stop, ISO and a settting of Vivid to have entirely different results between the two cameras.

So if you could, please put up a test image with the EXIF data for us to evaluate. Otherwise it's like throwing darts at a dart board blindfold, it could be a hit or miss.

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

factotum Registered since 17th Jun 2007Tue 05-Jun-12 06:25 PM
342 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D3100 Shooting Dark"
In response to Reply # 0

US

All cameras are different. To really test, you must set both cameras to factory defaults. THen, in manual mode set the ISO, SS, and aperture the same on both cameras. THen test.

My D700 has a 1/3 stop increased exposure dialed in. My D70 had +2/3 stop dialed in.

Or, you just bring up the lighting in post.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
Miss Piggy

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6067 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.