Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5841
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D5100 and 28 -300 focusing problems" Previous topic | Next topic
TBF Registered since 24th Apr 2012Fri 04-May-12 04:30 AM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 and 28 -300 focusing problems"

US

When shooting at or near the full telephoto with this and the kit 55-300 the autofocus loses the subject (usually flying birds against a featureless sky) after one or two rapid exposures and when it does, the attempted auto reaquisition takes the focus from near infinity down into the near macro range where it stalls and requires a manual refocus. Zooming out and pointing at some closer, high definition subject will also move the focus out towards infinity. It seems to do this no matter the focus settings - single point, AF-A,C, Dynamic, whatever. Because of the rather unique nature of each target aquisition and flight path, it is not something I can systematically test. Any suggestions from more experienced photographers? Tom Forker

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Fri 04-May-12 05:32 AM
4546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5100 and 28 -300 focusing problems"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

The simple explanation would be that you are not keeping the birds under the focus point during the frame burst. AF-C and dynamic mode would be my starting point. However, you may have already covered that.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

TBF Registered since 24th Apr 2012Fri 04-May-12 05:42 AM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5100 and 28 -300 focusing problems"
In response to Reply # 1

US

It is almost certain that the focus point moves off of the bird, but I am most perplexed with the camera process of searching down to minimum focus distance and "freezing" there even if I lift my finger from the shutter button and attempt to refocus. I suppose that many, if not every time, there is no longer a target in the field of view but it would seem that a "logical" process of autofocus would search back towards infinity rather than stalling at minimum focus.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Fri 04-May-12 07:34 AM
4546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5100 and 28 -300 focusing problems"
In response to Reply # 2

Seattle, WA, US

The infinity-to-zero-to-infinity searches can be quite irritating. The focus-limiting switch (if it has one) can help a little in that it will remove some of the near range from the focus attempts.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Fri 04-May-12 03:49 PM
2735 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5100 and 28 -300 focusing problems"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Once you've lost focus on a bird in flight and the lens starts hunting, you're probably not going to get it back by trying to follow the bird. Try pointing the camera at a distant point on the ground and focusing, so the camera's focus is set for a distant target. Then aim at the bird and when the bird is under your focus point, you should be able to get it in focus and get your shot. The 55-300 does not have a focus limiter switch (which would help, if the lens had it). There is a learning curve for this type of shooting, so I think you will find that with more experience you will be better able to get those shots.

Randy

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 05-May-12 03:26 AM
3145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D5100 and 28 -300 focusing problems"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

There is nothing wrong with your camera or lens. It's not easy capturing BIF. It takes practice and learning how your equipment works under this type of situation. Good luck.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

TBF Registered since 24th Apr 2012Tue 08-May-12 02:58 AM
#6. "RE: D5100 and 28 -300 focusing problems"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Thanks to all for taking the time to respond. My key question, and I should perhaps have stated it more clearly, was why the focus system pushes the lens out to macro territory and then leaves it there. In practice, I usually do what was suggested and point down to distant ground or trees where the camera can capture some high contrast subject material. Are the higher priced cameras any more capable of "intelligent" search? Tom Forker
PS I will post photos of some more successful adventures when I can sort out the gallery process.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Wed 09-May-12 01:44 PM
3145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D5100 and 28 -300 focusing problems"
In response to Reply # 6

Hatboro, Pa, US

Tom. I tried to duplicate what you get with my D5100. I don't have either of your lenses so the closest I could get with a f5.6 zoom at the long end was with my AFS VR 18-200mm lens. When I lose focus with that lens it stops searching at infinity and not the close-up range you're seeing. I use AF-S and center focus point in aperture priority. Maybe somebody that has either of your lenses can give it a try.

To answer your second question about the performance of higher prices cameras I can only say maybe. I don't know if they are more "intelligent" but they do have more improved auto focus systems in the number of cross type sensors and maybe better response at the f5.6 range.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

TBF Registered since 24th Apr 2012Sun 13-May-12 03:38 AM
#8. "RE: D5100 and 28 -300 focusing problems"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Thanks for the report of your experience with the 18-200. I have a friend who has that lens for his D300. I may try to use it on some of the ravens that do aerial recon over his chicken coop. Tom

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5841 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.