Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5618
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Nikon D5000 - Image Review Delay" Previous topic | Next topic
searchlight59 Registered since 01st Apr 2012Sun 01-Apr-12 04:14 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D5000 - Image Review Delay"
Sun 01-Apr-12 08:50 PM by searchlight59

US

I recently acquired a used Nikon D5000 in mint condition, and everything works well except that I have now noticed that every time I take a photograph, and image review is on, there is a delay of a few seconds before the image appears on the screen.

In other words, I take the picture, the display lights but as a blank grey for a few seconds, and then the image appears. I have tried turning ADR off, and using different SD cards but with the same effect.

I have had other DSLR's in the past where the image view was virtually instantaneous.

Is this behavior normal for the D5000?

Two things I just noticed. If I remove the SD card, and shoot DEMO image, the image review is virtually instantaneous.

Secondly, if I reduce the image size from large to either Medium or Small, the Image Review is faster.

The interesting thing is that I am using a SanDisk Extreme SDHC card so I would have thought that the write speed would be faster for all size images but it seems that the write speed is predicated on the size of the JPEG Image as opposed to the type of card that I am using.

Do you agree?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 02-Apr-12 06:08 PM
3204 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D5000 - Image Review Delay"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

The write speed can only be as fast as the slowest process in the chain. In this case it's the camera and not the card. The only thing a fast card gets you is faster file transfer from a fast card reader to your computer. If you reread your post you'll find you actually answered your own question.

Welcome to Nikonians.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Mon 02-Apr-12 10:32 PM
586 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Nikon D5000 - Image Review Delay"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 04-Apr-12 02:56 AM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

I bought an express card to SD for my MacBook pro. I can view images in view finder pretty fast. But transfer to computer from SD card is about 10 times faster than the Camera (mine is a D3000). My Express Card is a Transcend TS-RDF1.I also have one by SanDisk but I don't like it as well. The SD card in the Transcend clicks into place. while the one from Sandisk the card goes in easy but doesn't lock into place and can be easily removed by accident.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

daconrad Registered since 18th Jan 2010Fri 06-Apr-12 08:51 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D5000 - Image Review Delay"
In response to Reply # 0

Sacramento, CA, US

I'm using a Kingston sdhc 8gb class 4 card in my d5000, and my display comes on almost instantaneously. When I first got my d5000 I researched sd cards and found that different people had luck with different brands, sizes and classes of cards. Most seemed to have little problems with the Kingston 8gb cards so it's most probably the card, but because your d5000 is used, it may have a problem. Possibly it was dropped or has some other problem. First try a different card. If that doesn't help, you could save any custom settings you've made to the camera, and try a hard reset. Hope you find the problem as I fingd the d5000 to be a very good camera. Good luck.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5618 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.