nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #291
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Battery Grip for D5000" Previous topic | Next topic
slartybartfast Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jun 2009Sun 14-Jun-09 04:06 PM
78 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Battery Grip for D5000"

Waterloo, CA

Hi all,

I had heard some grumbling at my local camera store about how the Nikon isn't releasing a battery grip for the D5000. So a little poking around on google revealed this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Camera-accessories/Remote-shutters/auction-222284506.htm

I'm not sure of it's worth as I'm still relatively new to the dslr world, but I thought I would post this just in case anyone was looking for one.

Cheers,
Richerd

The bliss of ignorance is not knowing what your limitations are.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
mfaccone Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Apr 2008Sun 14-Jun-09 05:23 PM
429 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Battery Grip for D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

Bend, US

When I had my D40 as a back up camera to my D300, I was very happy with the 3rd party battery grip for that camera. It felt more natural for me to hold it. It should be the same fit to the D5000. Only thing you would lose is the ability to flip the screen around to the front for self portrait, although I think extra battery life would be better.

Mark

ennbr Registered since 08th Feb 2009Sun 14-Jun-09 10:19 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Battery Grip for D5000"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 15-Jun-09 10:39 PM by ennbr

US

I've already tested the Opteka Battery Grip originally build for the D60. Other than a slight cosmetic difference with rounded corners on the D5000 that don't exist on the D60 it worked just fine. The cost was $79 US dollars.

vbxt Registered since 02nd Jun 2009Mon 15-Jun-09 09:29 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Battery Grip for D5000"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Here's one at Walmart for $59.84:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9722052

slartybartfast Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jun 2009Tue 16-Jun-09 03:48 AM
78 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Battery Grip for D5000"
In response to Reply # 3

Waterloo, CA

Now that's cool. Is there nothing that Walmart doesn't carry? I'm always amazed by them whenever we go to the U.S.

My only concern would be the pins on the top of the battery thingy (believe it or not, 'thingy' has recently been dubbed an actual technical term). They look a little scary. I don't recall seeing any kind of receptor for that in the battery compartment on the d5k.

Otherwise it looks doable.

The bliss of ignorance is not knowing what your limitations are.

ennbr Registered since 08th Feb 2009Tue 16-Jun-09 11:12 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Battery Grip for D5000"
In response to Reply # 4

US

The pins out the top was one reason I went for the Opteka. Second the Opteka came with the rechargeable batteries and last the reviews of the Targus were less than stellar.

oldcitybass Registered since 11th Jul 2009Sun 12-Jul-09 12:55 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Battery Grip for D5000"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I had the opteka and returned it. It functions, but I wouldn't say that it fits. It's obviously designed for a camera body other than the d5000. The grip is much larger than the camera around the corners and that's an unacceptable fit to me.

Is there a battery grip out there that was specifically designed to fit the body frame of the D5000?

tunhtetaung Registered since 12th Jul 2009Sun 12-Jul-09 07:08 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Battery Grip for D5000"
In response to Reply # 3

SG

Frd are u sure this grip can use for D5000?

ennbr Registered since 08th Feb 2009Sun 12-Jul-09 11:24 AM
#8. "RE: Battery Grip for D5000"
In response to Reply # 6

US

I agree to some degree about the fit as I stated in my earlier post in this thread it was not a perfect fit but not quite as bad as your suggesting. Unless Nikon stops changing the body design of there cameras with each new model the after market suppliers will not provide products.

Recently I contacted both Really Right Stuff and Kirk about an L-bracket for the D5000. I was told that they don't have enough market to design custom parts for the lower end Nikon products. Eventually RSS came through and now has an L-bracket but initially they had serious concerns of selling enough product to break even.

oldcitybass Registered since 11th Jul 2009Sun 12-Jul-09 06:01 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Battery Grip for D5000"
In response to Reply # 8

US

YMMV, I'm just saying that in my experience, the opteka grip made for the D40 / D60 is not a good fit for the D5000, IMO. Yes is it does work. No, it doesn't match up to the body very well. Again , IMO.

I would really, really like a battery grip that was specifically designed for the D5000.

jeff_winston Registered since 20th Aug 2009Thu 20-Aug-09 12:25 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Battery Grip for D5000"
In response to Reply # 7
Thu 20-Aug-09 12:26 AM by jeff_winston

US

For anyone who's still looking for a good battery grip for the D5000, I picked up a nice one from an ebay seller.

Pros - The fit and finish are great. The color and texture match the camera perfectly.

Cons - You need to attach a cable (included) to use the verticle shutter.

FYI, the ebay seller is link-delight-na and this is the grip that is specific to the d5000. BTW, I'm not related to, working for or anything else - just passing on my results. Best of luck.

superbike Registered since 25th Aug 2009Tue 25-Aug-09 06:16 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Battery Grip for D5000"
In response to Reply # 10

US

I am considering buying this grip from Link-delight.

Does the vertical shutter support all normal shutter functions of the camera?
Any issues with installing the cable? Any lag or other issues with the vertical shutter?

Have you purchased any other products from them? I am considering their multicoated UV filters, but there is no brand name on them, does that matter?

Thanks for the post, and any info you have to share about this vendor and product is appreciated!

Thanks!

jeff_winston Registered since 20th Aug 2009Wed 26-Aug-09 12:32 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Battery Grip for D5000"
In response to Reply # 11

US

This is the only thing that I have purchased from this seller. The cable plugs in as easy as an usb cable. There's no lag and it works just like the normal shutter - press halfway to autofocus, etc. It does take a while to arrive since it's coming from Hong Kong.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #291 Previous topic | Next topic