Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6248
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Manual focus lens on a 5100" Previous topic | Next topic
kshapero Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2006Sun 24-Jun-12 09:57 PM
267 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Manual focus lens on a 5100"

South Florida, US

I heard that they will meter in aperture preferred or manual exposure. Is this true?
Akiva S.

Nikon F, FE, Nikkormat FTN

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sun 24-Jun-12 11:19 PM
3198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Manual focus lens on a 5100"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

No, they will not meter. You can use them, though, by estimating the exposure and checking the histogram. Or use a hand-held meter.

Alan

kshapero Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2006Sun 24-Jun-12 11:57 PM
267 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Manual focus lens on a 5100"
In response to Reply # 1

South Florida, US

>No, they will not meter. You can use them, though, by
>estimating the exposure and checking the histogram. Or use a
>hand-held meter.
Thx, I thought that but Dave Busch claims it incorrectly in his book.

Akiva S.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 25-Jun-12 12:17 AM
2952 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Manual focus lens on a 5100"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 25-Jun-12 12:20 AM by Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US

Ken,

The least expensive current Nikon body that meters with AI, AIS lenses is the D7000. Above that you need to go to the D300, D700, D800 and all of the pro D1, D2 and D3 camera bodies.

I use many of my manual focus lenses on the D3200 and D5100 but I use an external meter or just guess at the exposure.

Len

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 25-Jun-12 05:02 PM
25717 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Manual focus lens on a 5100"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 25-Jun-12 05:05 PM by MEMcD

US

Hi Akiva,

While as a general rule, the D5100 (D40, D40X, D60, D3000, D5000, D3100) Do Not support metering with MF lenses (AI, AIS, AI modified, and pre-AI lenses), they will meter with: PC-E Nikkors, 85mm f/2.8D Micro PC, AI-P type (chipped) Nikkor MF lenses as well as any Nikon F mount lens that has as been chipped (Zeiss ZF.2 for example).
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

kshapero Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2006Tue 26-Jun-12 01:05 AM
#5. "RE: Manual focus lens on a 5100"
In response to Reply # 4

South Florida, US

How well does the D5100 focus manually? I see it has a rangefinder function which should be helpful.
Akiva S.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 26-Jun-12 01:46 AM
25717 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Manual focus lens on a 5100"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Akiva,

I have very limited experience with the D5100 and none using manual focus. Given my eyes are not as good as they once were and the D5100 has a penta mirror finder I suspect it would be challenging. At least for me.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

DavidN4 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011Tue 26-Jun-12 12:15 PM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Manual focus lens on a 5100"
In response to Reply # 5
Tue 26-Jun-12 12:16 PM by DavidN4

Johns Creek, US

>How well does the D5100 focus manually? I see it has a
>rangefinder function which should be helpful.
>Akiva S.

The viewfinder is small and hard to MF through except in excellent light. Liveview has a zoom function that can help you get sharp MF, but to really MF you should tether to a laptop by using software such as ControlMyNikon. That is much, much easier.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Tue 26-Jun-12 01:56 PM
2952 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Manual focus lens on a 5100"
In response to Reply # 5

Hatboro, Pa, US

I use my D5100 (and D3200) all the time with manual focus lenses. I don't have a problem in good light. I took this photo in the shade with the 105mm f2.5P at f5.6. I was able to focus on the clear image of the lilies stamen without relying on the rangefinder dot. I cropped off about 25% of the full frame.

In poor light the rangefinder dot is necessary. In very poor light the dot will flicker, disappear and be hard to focus. But generally that's poorer light that I take photos in.

On a tripod in any light the articulating screen in Liveview and magnified will get your focus dead on.

Len

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6248 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.