Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5840
View in threaded mode

Subject: "LCD monitor magnification" Previous topic | Next topic
srd1941 Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2012Fri 04-May-12 04:39 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"LCD monitor magnification"

Waterville, US

On my D60 and my D5100, and I assume all Nikons, the “zoom in” button can be activated 8 times, each activation magnifying the picture in the LCD monitor by some unknown (to me) amount. Do any of you know how many times the button would have to be pushed to equal %100 magnification on the monitor? On my computer I usually check the focus of my photos at %100 in View NX2 and was wondering what that would be on the cameras monitor.
Stan

Stan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
suzyk Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Dec 2011Mon 07-May-12 09:07 AM
1563 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: LCD monitor magnification"
In response to Reply # 0

near Hobart, AU

Hey Stan,

I don't have time now but a search of this site should help. I came across some discussion of this when trying to clarify what 100% crop meant.

I seem to remember that on the D90 there are 8 clicks in and at 6 (ie 2 from closest in) is 100% but I'm not totally sure.

Cheers,
Suzy

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 07-May-12 02:53 PM
3296 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: LCD monitor magnification"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

On the D5100 it appears that 6 strokes on the zoom button will give you 100%. The 7th stroke produces an image similar to 200% on the computer screen. The 8th may be 300%. The D300 and D700 work the same as the D5100.

But not all Nikon cameras work the same way as the D5100. The D3X uses the rear command dial while holding down the checkerboard button to zoom in on the photo. There are 9 steps. The D2 series and the D200 give you stepped zooms by holding down the checkerboard button while rotating the command dial. It gives 8 steps. The D1 series has you press the func button to zoom in once. I can get only two views from my D1H, full size or full zoom.

Len

srd1941 Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2012Mon 07-May-12 06:00 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: LCD monitor magnification"
In response to Reply # 2

Waterville, US

Thank you Len and Suzy
That seems about right. I did discover though that the available number of steps changes if you change the file size. Large file= 8 steps, medium file= 7 steps and small file= 6 available steps. So even if using the small file setting one would be able to view a photo at 100%.Thanks again.
Stan

Stan

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5840 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.