nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Stormtruck2

Mechanicsville, US
7 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Stormtruck2 Registered since 01st Dec 2011
Fri 02-Dec-11 07:53 PM

If I were to purchase the SB-900 and use it as the master, would the SB-24 work as a slave?? Also the SB-900 will work on an F-4 right? I'm just learning so I apologize for the simplistic questions, but I really don't know the answers. Thanks in advance for your tolerance, patiance, and answers.

blw

Richmond, US
27117 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#1. "RE: SB-24 Slave Flash?" | In response to Reply # 0

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Fri 02-Dec-11 09:59 PM

The sb24 only can function as a dumb optical slave. I think you need an su-4 or equivalent. (I think only the sb26 has the su4 built in, but it's been so long I can't remember for sure.

The sb900 has no film ttl mode, so once again, on the f3/4 it will only operate in auto mode or in full manual. Perhaps auto aperture too, but I think the f3 is too early for aa mode.

Not great compatibility between dslr and film flashes.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

MEMcD

US
27871 posts

#2. "RE: SB-24 Slave Flash?" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Sat 03-Dec-11 07:23 AM

Hi Matthew,

The wireless CLS flash contol built into the SB-900 will not work when mounted on an F4 or any other film body with the exception of the F6.
You would actually be better off mounting the SB-24 on the F4 and using the SB-900 as a remote in SU-4 mode. The SB-24 is fully compatible with the F4 and supports all flash modes including TTL flash control.
The SB-900 has SU-4 mode built into the Speedlight, the SB-24 does not. The SB-24 is film TTL compatible, the SB-900 is not.
If you want a Speedlight that is fully compatible with Film TTL flash control, D-TTL flash control (D1 series and D100 bodies), i-TTL flash control (DSLR's except D1 series and D100) consider a used or refurbished SB-800 or SB-600. The SB-800 also has SU-4 mode built into the Speedlight.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

MEMcD

US
27871 posts

#3. "RE: SB-24 Slave Flash?" | In response to Reply # 1

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Sat 03-Dec-11 07:43 AM

Hi Brian,

>The sb24 only can function as a dumb optical slave. I think
>you need an su-4 or equivalent.

Yes! To use the SB-24 as an optical slave, a Nikon SU-4 or other optical slave is required to trigger the SB-24.

(I think only the sb26 has the
>su4 built in, but it's been so long I can't remember for
>sure.

Yes. The SB-26 has a built in wireless (optical) slave mode.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

G