Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6517
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D5100 using older lenses" Previous topic | Next topic
cinderdick Registered since 08th Jul 2012Sun 12-Aug-12 04:45 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 using older lenses"

Corbin, US

Has anyone ever made a book or post on step by step on using older nikon adapters,lenses( manual, AF( non S))and bellows. For people who own older equipment from film days and want to use them. I know it will be done in M.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 13-Aug-12 01:19 AM
3134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5100 using older lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

Hello Michael,

I don't think anyone wrote a book or a post telling how to use all the lenses, new and old, plus all the mountable accessories used on older Nikon bodies as they pertain to the D5100. There have been threads in this forum pertaining to individual lenses and add on accessories.

A good place to start however is the Nikon D5100 instruction manual on pages 197 to 199. Special attention should be given to the lenses like the fisheye lenses and 2.1cm which can only be mounted on Nikon's earliest film bodies which can lock the mirror in the up position both before and after the exposure. Any attempt to mount these lenses will damage the mirror. Don't use anything else on the list of Incompatible accessories and non-CPU lenses.

I have used a few non-AI lenses, not on the list, with success. However like all non-CPU lenses there is no exposure metering. This is also true of any Nikon manual focus TC's, extension tubes and bellows you add to the body. No metering. It will be like using the prism models of the F and F2 bodies. The advantage of the D5100, however, is you will get focus confirmation in the viewfinder and be able to focus using LiveView.

Note that when mounting the PB6 and also the PB4 that the body will need to be mounted in the vertical position because the body grip will interfere with the bellows rails. After mounting vertically it can then be swung to the horizontal position without interference. I don't know about the older bellows. I also have never used non-AI extension tubes so I can't comment on them. I do use the Kenko tubes with the contacts for my AF and AFS lenses. I also use the Kenko Pro 300 TC's for all my lenses that cannot accept the Nikon AFS compatible TC's like the TC-14E II.

Non-AFS AF lenses will need to be manual focused however since they have a built in CPU the metering will work fine.

You must have some particular items in mind to ask your question. If you complete your profile in the equipment listing we can give you a more precise answer.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 13-Aug-12 01:26 AM
26751 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: D5100 using older lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Lots of different cases, many of which aren't as bad as you think. AF or AFD lenses operate a lot like AFS lenses. Metering is the same, meaning all exposure modes work. They won't AF though; you'd need a to focus them manually. That varies depending which lens is under consideration. A lens that has a m/AF switch is usually sufficient.

Manual focus lenses (not AF lenses without an AF motor) have no electronics, so they provide no metering (and no flash metering either). That has to be done in manual exposure mode. You must select both aperture (with the aperture ring) and the shutter speed (turn the command dial), and moreover they must be compatible with the prevailing lighting conditions.

Bellows are more complex as they too vary and lens configurations differ too.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

cinderdick Registered since 08th Jul 2012Mon 13-Aug-12 03:56 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5100 using older lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

Corbin, US

I went ahead and updated my profile. Thanks.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 13-Aug-12 07:51 PM
3134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5100 using older lenses"
In response to Reply # 3

Hatboro, Pa, US

Michael,

I don't see any problems with using any of your tubes, bellows or lenses on the D5100 with the exception of the BR2 directly on the body. It's OK on your tubes and bellows but may interfere with the lens contacts on the body. There is no TTL with the SB21B on a digital body. You'll need to use it in manual mode. Whatever accessory or lens you attach to the body only the AFS and AF lenses with give you metering. Based on your profile it looks like you shoot a lot of close up and micro photography. Except for metering you should be fine. The articulating LCD and Live View are great for close-ups.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6517 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.