Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6515
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Cropped Yellow Finch" Previous topic | Next topic
jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Sat 11-Aug-12 09:06 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Cropped Yellow Finch"
Sat 11-Aug-12 09:12 PM by jpFoto

US

I'm not much of a "birder." (That's an understatement.) My wife saw this Yellow Finch in our backyard and since I am interested in the tight cropping ability of the D3200 for a future trip, I thought that I would see what I could do. The exposure in these shots isn't on the money so letting the ISO float to 3200 was a mistake. I used matrix metering whereas I should probably have used center or spot. I had to soup the 100% crop to get any respectable detail. I sharpened and used noise reduction, and here's what I got:

D3200; Nikkor 70-200 VRII at 185mm; 1/1000 at f/5.6.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sun 12-Aug-12 05:56 PM
543 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Cropped Yellow Finch"
In response to Reply # 0

Martinsville, US

Excellent picture!

Since I have a D3000 not a D3200 (just need a Body) I am unfamiliar with in camera Cropping. What's that all about.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://phillipjones-cet.net

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Sun 12-Aug-12 10:46 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Cropped Yellow Finch"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks Phil

It's really not very good, but I appreciate your comment.

This wasn't an "in camera" crop. I used ViewNX2 to do the crop and Capture NX2 for the sharpening and the noise reduction. If you open your images in ViewNX2, which is free, you can crop your images in that program. You can also sharpen them in ViewNX2. The only thing that it appears to lack is the ability to use noise reduction.

jP

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 15-Aug-12 04:55 PM
25680 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Cropped Yellow Finch"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi JP,

The D3200 IQ is very respectable given the conditions and the crop.
Thanks for sharing.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6515 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.