Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6510
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Perseid meteor shower photos" Previous topic | Next topic
TBF Registered since 24th Apr 2012Fri 10-Aug-12 08:08 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Perseid meteor shower photos"

US

This weekend the peak of the Perseid meteor shower will provide a great opportunity to get photos of the night sky with a conjunction of the waning crescent moon, Venus, Jupiter and, with some luck, a meteor trail or two. Here is a link to the event itself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=106ne66KAuw

Now if someone with some experience with the photographic perameters as they apply specifically to the capabilities of the 5100 could give us a tip sheet, I would be a happy boy. (I know a manual camera and film would be more suited to the job, but lets go with 5100 for now.)

Wed. night I saw a grand fireball streak across the Eastern sky, trailing sparks, fragments and a filmy green tail: not even holding a camera, though I might have been frozen by the sight even if I had been. Tips anyone? Tom Forker

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
ctdrummer Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012Fri 10-Aug-12 08:21 PM
178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Perseid meteor shower photos"
In response to Reply # 0

Southern CT, US

Here's an article:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledge-center/how-tos/digital-photography-101-how-to-photograph-meteor-showers.html#b

Good luck!

Visit My gallery.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Fri 10-Aug-12 08:33 PM
4150 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Perseid meteor shower photos"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 10-Aug-12 08:35 PM by JosephK

Seattle, WA, US

I have tried this a few times, and might again this weekend. There is not really anything camera specific.

Tripod
Remote release
wide-ish angle lens

Focus can be a bit tricky. Using f/4 to f/5.6 to get a reasonable DOF for error purposes, I would focus manually on the stars if auto-focus does not work.

Set the camera in manual exposure mode for say, 20 second shutter speed and f/4. Adjust the ISO to get the exposure right.

I would recommend turning off any long-exposure noise reduction.

(When I get home I will check the settings of my previous outing.)

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Fri 10-Aug-12 10:06 PM
4150 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Perseid meteor shower photos"
In response to Reply # 1

Seattle, WA, US

There is also some good info in a thread in our Landscape forum:
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=162&topic_id=67631&mesg_id=67631&page=

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

TBF Registered since 24th Apr 2012Fri 10-Aug-12 11:43 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Perseid meteor shower photos"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks for sending me along those link trails: I particularly like the idea of using the intervalometer to automate (though randomizing) the process. Tom

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Sun 12-Aug-12 11:12 PM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Perseid meteor shower photos"
In response to Reply # 2

HIXSON, US

>
>Focus can be a bit tricky. Using f/4 to f/5.6 to get a
>reasonable DOF for error purposes, I would focus manually on
>the stars if auto-focus does not work.
>
>Set the camera in manual exposure mode for say, 20 second
>shutter speed and f/4. Adjust the ISO to get the exposure
>right.
>

Why would you not set focus manually to infinity?

Charlie

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

TBF Registered since 24th Apr 2012Sun 12-Aug-12 11:34 PM
#6. "RE: Perseid meteor shower photos"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Unlike manual focus lenses, most, if not all, AF lenses do not have a positive infinity stop so turning the focusing ring to the end point will not necessarily focus the lens on infinity. It may include that if the aperture is small enough. Tom

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6510 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.