Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6438
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Nikon D5000: 2 second delay release mode won't "stick"" Previous topic | Next topic
SupraDad Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2012Tue 31-Jul-12 05:47 PM
207 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D5000: 2 second delay release mode won't "stick""

MERRIMACK, US

When I set the shutter release mode to "single" - it stays in single. When I set the release mode to "continuous" - it stay in continuous. However, when I set the release mode to "2 second delay", it will indeed delay the first shot by 2 seconds, but then it reverts to the previous mode ("single" if that was the previous mode, or "continuous" if that as the previous mode).

When taking multiple exposures from (e.g.) a tripod, this is rather bothersome (to say the least - a number of times I've had to delete a shot, set up for "delayed release" and re-shoot).

Is this a "bug" in the system, or is there some other deep-in-the-bowels setting to have the shutter release mode stay at the 2-second delay?

Thanks in advance for any advice here...

Regards,
Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
jimmills Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2010Tue 31-Jul-12 06:11 PM
122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D5000: 2 second delay release mode won't "stick""
In response to Reply # 0

Fort Walton Beach, FL, US

That is the one thing I don't like about my D5100. It does the same thing if set to use either the remote or the timer, no matter what delay the timer is set too. I find this most annoying. If I set it to "timer, 2 second delay or remote", it should stay there until I set it to something else. Apparently, this is the way Nikon built the beasts though. I guess you are just going to have to get a D7000 like I did in order to avoid this problem.

Jim

SupraDad Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2012Tue 31-Jul-12 07:07 PM
207 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D5000: 2 second delay release mode won't "stick""
In response to Reply # 1

MERRIMACK, US

Ah, thanks Jim - I was hoping that in one of my "check out all the various sub-menu" attempts I had clicked something that did that. It's pretty darn stupid (if you ask me). I changed the "fn" button so that it allows me to change the release mode (so at least now I can just hold the fn button and rotate the dial (once) to get what I need, but I still forget on occasion - like yesterday when I tried to take thirty (30!) shots on my tripod and had to do it each time, forgetting a couple of times to change the delay...I was going through different aperture and focal lengths and would change those, and some times forget to change the delay...) (sigh) Yeah, the D7000 is on the wish list truck, just waiting for the funds to arrive...

And yes, now that you mention it, I do recall it doing it on the remote release as well... (sigh)

Regards,
Alan

jimmills Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2010Tue 31-Jul-12 11:11 PM
122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D5000: 2 second delay release mode won't "stick""
In response to Reply # 2

Fort Walton Beach, FL, US

I forgot to mention that, until a couple of weeks ago, I had a D5000 and it did exactly the same thing. I don't have the D5000 anymore because my daughter showed an interest in photography and, soft hearted sucker that I am where she is concerned, I gave her the D5000.

Jim

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 01-Aug-12 08:41 AM
26825 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Nikon D5000: 2 second delay release mode won't "stick""
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I get the impression that you're doing this as a substitute for mirror lockup? If so, try the self-timer and set it to 2 seconds.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

SupraDad Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2012Wed 01-Aug-12 12:48 PM
#5. "RE: Nikon D5000: 2 second delay release mode won't "stick""
In response to Reply # 4

MERRIMACK, US

Isn't mirror lockup used for cleaning purposes? What I'm trying to do is try to minimize as much shake as possible by having the mirror come up about 2 seconds before the "shutter" activates...

Regards,
Alan

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 01-Aug-12 10:20 PM
26825 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Nikon D5000: 2 second delay release mode won't "stick""
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond, US

Traditionally mirror lockup has been used for this purpose, but you're right, in many of the lower-spec models, mirror lockup is ONLY for cleaning.

The reason that the 2 second delay doesn't stick is that... for years, it stuck, and people would set it and then forget. Then there would be a complaint here or at Nikon about a broken camera... it happens all the time. So clearly they made it non-sticky in the near recent past.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

SupraDad Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2012Fri 03-Aug-12 07:44 PM
#7. "RE: Nikon D5000: 2 second delay release mode won't "stick""
In response to Reply # 6

MERRIMACK, US

For what it's worth: On page 163 of the user manual I found that I could set the "Fn" button to "Self-timer" - which activates the mode I want when on a tripod. Unfortunately, it still resets the release mode after taking a shot. (It's better than either scrolling on the screen or assigning the "Fn" button to use the selector to select "self-timer". But it's not very useful except for times when you are on a tripod. I had it set to ISO before - which was much more useful...)

Regards,
Alan

timopa1 Registered since 04th Aug 2012Sat 04-Aug-12 04:18 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon D5000: 2 second delay release mode won't "stick""
In response to Reply # 5
Sun 05-Aug-12 02:08 PM by timopa1

US

Have you tried the exposure delay...Menu, Custom Setting Menu, d.Shooting/Display, d4. Exposure delay mode... "Choose "On" to delay shutter release until about one second after the mirror is raised. This reduces the effects of vibration caused by raising the mirror."

Also, I think the 2 second delay release will not add any time between the mirror being up and the start of shutter travel, it only adds time to the start of the process after the shutter button is pressed.

SupraDad Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2012Mon 06-Aug-12 03:19 PM
#9. "RE: Nikon D5000: 2 second delay release mode won't "stick""
In response to Reply # 8

MERRIMACK, US

Thanks for the reply - yes, I was aware of d4 - and use that in conjunction with the 2-second delay. Is the latter (d4) sufficient in and by itself? Perhaps I'll do some experimenting...

Regards,
Alan

timopa1 Registered since 04th Aug 2012Mon 06-Aug-12 11:30 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon D5000: 2 second delay release mode won't "stick""
In response to Reply # 9

US

Short answer is yes...Is there a specific issue with the image(s) you are trying to capture?

SupraDad Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2012Tue 07-Aug-12 03:51 PM
#11. "RE: Nikon D5000: 2 second delay release mode won't "stick""
In response to Reply # 10

MERRIMACK, US

Short answer: No, just paranoid... probably don't need to be apparently..m Thanks

Regards,
Alan

TBF Registered since 24th Apr 2012Mon 13-Aug-12 04:52 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Nikon D5000: 2 second delay release mode won't "stick""
In response to Reply # 0

US

If you use a remote release, Item C3 in the menu should solve your problem. You can choose from several time intervals before the release reverts to zero. I have been using this lately trying to photograph meteor trails. No apparent problems with star fields, but when I shot half a dozen eight second exposures of the Space Station crossing the field of view I saw a definite hook at the beginning of each trail on each exposure. That hook I can only surmise is from camera movement caused by the mirror? movement, yet I would have supposed the camera to have settled during the two second delay. Also, I was using the Live View so the mirror should have been up already? I was using a manual focus lens with the Manual setting and a reasonably stable tripod. Tom Forker Washington State.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6438 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.