Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6301
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D5100 + Nikon AF-S 35/1.8G autofocus problems" Previous topic | Next topic
Kuripakk Registered since 30th Jun 2012Sat 30-Jun-12 08:49 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 + Nikon AF-S 35/1.8G autofocus problems"

SE

Hello,

I've had my D5100 for a few months and recently purchased the Nikon AF-S DX 35/1.8G lens for it, however I'm having some real problems with the autofocus. I took it with me on a trip without testing it out much beforehand and it probably ruined a few dozen good shots before I realised that it did not reliably autofocus using the viewfinder, only when using the LCD. Even when using single-point autofocus without recomposing the shot it was consistently off, usually with the focus ending up on the hair near the back of the subject's head instead of the eyes and face. Had to make do with the LCD for the rest of the trip which was often a pain due to the slow AF, battery use and glare in sunny weather.

Here is a test I did with it at f1.8, subject distance just over 1m, focusing on the number '2016' near the barcode on the side of the box.

This first image was using the viewfinder, single-point AF:
http://postimage.org/image/hxmped8qd
As you can see the focus seems to be somewhere around the end of the barcode some 4cm further away.

In this second image I just switched on the LCD and refocused on the same spot:
http://postimage.org/image/mxk5mbed1
Focus is much better.

What is the problem here, is the camera faulty, or is it a bad lens? Or are the results expected due to the shallow depth of field? I tried to do some further testing at higher f-numbers and comparing to the 18-55 kit lens and I think it still doesn't focus correctly but it's much harder to see without the shallow depth of field.

Thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sun 01-Jul-12 09:53 PM
494 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: D5100 + Nikon AF-S 35/1.8G autofocus problems"
In response to Reply # 0

Martinsville, US

I have such a lens and it has a manual focus override ring. If you have the time you sometimes need to hold the shutter button half way down to make autofocus work the manually adjust outside ring.

But another issue may the eye piece diopter adjustment you hold camera up to eye Glasses off (or own). and move the adjustment up or down until what you see is in sharpest focus. (I use Glasses off). (Doesn't necessarily have to be in focus. Just the sharpest focus.)

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Mon 02-Jul-12 01:06 AM
262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5100 + Nikon AF-S 35/1.8G autofocus problems"
In response to Reply # 0

Ayden, US

I agree about the focus ring. I have to be careful not to shift focus on my 50mm. When using live view, my hand is nowhere near the focusing ring.

The D5100 has a clearly visible focus point in live view. When using the viewfinder, you have eleven possible focus points. That could be an issue.

Laverne

Kuripakk Registered since 30th Jun 2012Mon 02-Jul-12 10:56 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5100 + Nikon AF-S 35/1.8G autofocus problems"
In response to Reply # 2

SE

Thank you for the replies. However it is not accidental shifting of the focus ring that is the problem. I have made sure not to touch anything and to use the correct focus point, and the AF will still consistently set the focus slightly behind the subject when not using live view, only occasionally getting it right.

Not sure if it's time to contact Nikon about it.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 02-Jul-12 06:17 PM
25009 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5100 + Nikon AF-S 35/1.8G autofocus problems"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Kristian,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Sorry to hear of your problem.
The issue could be the lens and not the body.
Go to your local Nikon Dealer and try another copy of the 35mm f/1.8G AF-S on your camera. If the problem continues with another lens, the issue is likely in the body.
If another copy of the lens works correctly exchange it for a new one (assuming you are still within the exchange period) or send the lens to Nikon Service for adjustment.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6301 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.