nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5283
View in threaded mode

Subject: "portrait lens for D5100" Previous topic | Next topic
LL49Wat Registered since 21st May 2004Tue 24-Jan-12 06:22 PM
1687 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"portrait lens for D5100"

Spartanburg, US

My stand-by portrait lenses, the 85mm D lens and the 60mm D lens, won't work with the D5100. So I'm looking at the AF-S 50mm 1.4 G lens. Do any of you have experience with this lens in portraiture?

Thank you.

LL49Wat

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 24-Jan-12 09:01 PM
10884 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: portrait lens for D5100"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 24-Jan-12 09:02 PM by Covey22

US

Don't discount the new 50mm f1.8 G AFS. The aperture difference is not really a show-stopper, it's less costly and just as good a lens for portraiture - improving upon the older D's "busy" bokeh.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

LL49Wat Registered since 21st May 2004Tue 24-Jan-12 09:13 PM
1687 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: portrait lens for D5100"
In response to Reply # 1

Spartanburg, US

Looked up the 1.8. Look's interesting and, as you said, less expensive. Do you have any pics with this lens?
LL49Wat

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 24-Jan-12 11:06 PM
26905 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: portrait lens for D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

If you like the 60/f2.8 AFD you should also consider the 60/f2.8 AFS - it is significantly improved in the optics department, and of coruse as an AFS lens it also will AF on all of the bodies. Nikon must think well of this lens as they used it for portraits on the D3x launch sample images. Note also that there is a new 85/f1.8 AFS, just announced this month. No results on it just yet but considering that the 85/f1.8 optical formula hadn't changed since 1987, it seems reasonable to expect that the new AFS should be an improvement. The 85, of course, is specifically designed as a portrait lens.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 25-Jan-12 03:04 AM
10884 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: portrait lens for D5100"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I do not, but please see the analysis and sample images pages (2& 3) of the review at Photzone.de.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Daveecopping Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2011Wed 25-Jan-12 11:45 AM
180 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: portrait lens for D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

Polegate, UK

You learn something new every day from these forums. A Nikkor 50mm 1.8D won't auto focus on my D5100 but it WILL auto focus on my D700. Can anyone answer this conundrum, please?

Dave

LL49Wat Registered since 21st May 2004Wed 25-Jan-12 01:19 PM
#6. "RE: portrait lens for D5100"
In response to Reply # 5

Spartanburg, US

The D lens does not have the built in motor that the AFS has.

It can get a bit confusing; when I first got my D5100 I thought It was broken because I put the wrong lens on it. That is why I use the compatibility charts that the Nikonians put together to help me when I think that I am purchasing a new lens.

I have used the D lens on the 5100 using manual focus, but my eyes aren't as good as they used to be, so I don't want to rely on MF when shooting portraits with the D5100.

LL49Wat

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 25-Jan-12 01:23 PM
#7. "RE: portrait lens for D5100"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Dave - short answer; starting with the D40 series, Nikon designed a lighter weight and smaller tier of cameras appealing to entry-level users and those moving up from compacts digitals. One of the design decisions was to remove the shaft-drive capability; that disabled focusing compatibility with older AF and AF-D lenses.

This also paved the way for Nikon to introduce lighter weight Silent Wave lenses starting with the 18-55 and the 55-200. Although those Silent Wave motors are really micro-motors and not true ring-drive Silent Wave, they work just fine for the intended audience. For current models, the only ones that have fully AF and AF-D compatibility start from the D7000 onwards.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

LL49Wat Registered since 21st May 2004Wed 25-Jan-12 02:22 PM
#8. "RE: portrait lens for D5100"
In response to Reply # 3

Spartanburg, US

One reason that I was looking at the 50mm was the lower price, and the fact that just as a 35mm DX covers what a regular 50mm covers on an Fx, a 50mm DX would cover what a regular 80mm would cover--more or less.

Hmm, that is a poor explanation even to my ears. I just don''t have the technical vocabulary to express myself the way that I would like to. Anyway, I wanted to keep my lens kit fairly small and portable for the D5100. I usually carry only one or two lenses, depending on what I'm shooting on a particular day. I have the 18-55 mm Nikon, the 35mm Nikon DX, a 28-270 mm zoom already. So I was thinking the 50 might be nice for soft, lower light portraiture.

When I do more formal portraiture, I use the D90 and the 60mm D or the 85mmD or even the 105D....

LL49Wat

Daveecopping Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2011Wed 25-Jan-12 02:43 PM
180 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: portrait lens for D5100"
In response to Reply # 7

Polegate, UK

Lynn and Armando, thank you for today's enlightenment. Lynn, I know what you mean about eyesight. My all-time favourite Nikon was a F301, but even if I had laser treatment, I doubt if I could focus it now. Contact lenses are a help, but one day I know I will have to buy one of those optical aids that attach to the viewfinder.

Warm regards to everyone,

Dave

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 25-Jan-12 11:30 PM
26905 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#10. "RE: portrait lens for D5100"
In response to Reply # 8

Richmond, US

Guess I wasn't too clear either. I meant to sell your 60/f2.8 AFD and replace it with the 60/f2.8 AFS.

_____

LL49Wat Registered since 21st May 2004Thu 26-Jan-12 01:42 AM
#11. "RE: portrait lens for D5100"
In response to Reply # 10

Spartanburg, US

Ahhh.....I'm a little slow today.

As a matter of fact, I went to buy the AFS 50mm 1.8 today. The store couldn't find the one that was advertised, so I'm on the waiting list for the next shipment now. I looked at the AFS 60mm 2.8. I guess that I could replace it; never even occurred to me.

LL49Wat

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 26-Jan-12 08:04 AM
#12. "RE: portrait lens for D5100"
In response to Reply # 11

Richmond, US

:-)

And you could also replace your 85/f1.8 AFD with the new 85/f1.8 AFS, leaving you with pretty much the same lenses, but working on both cameras. And I think you'll notice the difference between the 60/f2.8's, even though the AFD isn't bad. (The AFS version is superb.)

But a 50/f1.8 AFS is also a reasonable solution. (And - LOL - you could do all of the above!!! Ah, NAS... )

_____

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5283 Previous topic | Next topic