Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5199
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Activating Flash During Exposure" Previous topic | Next topic
gohan2091 Registered since 02nd Dec 2011Tue 17-Jan-12 06:12 AM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Activating Flash During Exposure"
Tue 17-Jan-12 06:13 AM by gohan2091

GB

Hi, quick question about my Nikon D5100.

As an example, say I want to shoot a still of a transparent tank of water with a low ISO (under 500 to avoid excessive noise). The environment is low light so to gather enough light, I lower the shutter speed to say 10 seconds. So it would take 10 seconds for the camera to take the shot and any number of seconds extra for it to process the image. Everything is fine so far but now let's assume I wish to drop an object into the water at the 5 second mark and have the camera freeze this object with it's flash. How would I do this? and is this even possible?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 17-Jan-12 07:58 AM
4491 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Activating Flash During Exposure"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

My first attempt would have an external flash, like the SB-600 or better, hand-held in manual mode, and fired manually by you pressing the "fire" button on the back.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 17-Jan-12 04:47 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Activating Flash During Exposure"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 17-Jan-12 04:48 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

You might want to look at additional control devices that are capable to triggering the flash when an event like the object passing a control device. Look at the CameraAxe or Mumford Time Machine, both of which can be used to capture a water drop breaking the surface or 2 water drops colliding.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

gohan2091 Registered since 02nd Dec 2011Tue 17-Jan-12 07:11 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Activating Flash During Exposure"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

My SB-700 arrived today (but no batteries at the moment!). Would your idea work when the SB-700 is attached to the hotshoe of the camera? As my D5100 will not allow me to use the flashlight off the camera.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 17-Jan-12 08:24 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Activating Flash During Exposure"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue 17-Jan-12 08:25 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

The SB-700 will work off camera when the Test Firing button is pushed. See page E-29 of the SB-700 manual.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

gohan2091 Registered since 02nd Dec 2011Tue 17-Jan-12 09:12 PM
#5. "RE: Activating Flash During Exposure"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

>The SB-700 will work off camera when the Test Firing button
>is pushed. See page E-29 of the SB-700 manual.
>
>

Oh, I didn't know that, thanks !

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 17-Jan-12 11:31 PM
4491 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Activating Flash During Exposure"
In response to Reply # 5

Seattle, WA, US

It is important to have the flash off the camera because you don't want to shake the camera while the shutter is opened, and pressing buttons on the flash will certainly shake the camera if attached.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Daveecopping Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2011Wed 18-Jan-12 09:11 AM
173 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Activating Flash During Exposure"
In response to Reply # 2

Polegate, GB

Good morning to all here.

Gohan, I'm not greatly experienced myself, but you can get an extension lead that will fit the hot shoe of your D5100 and your SB-700 and it is 1.5 meters long. I'm led to believe that up to three of these leads can be joined together. The source of this information id the Magic Lantern Guide for the D5100 by Simon Stafford. I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Dave

gohan2091 Registered since 02nd Dec 2011Wed 18-Jan-12 10:24 AM
#8. "RE: Activating Flash During Exposure"
In response to Reply # 7

GB

>Good morning to all here.
>
>Gohan, I'm not greatly experienced myself, but you can get an
>extension lead that will fit the hot shoe of your D5100 and
>your SB-700 and it is 1.5 meters long. I'm led to believe
>that up to three of these leads can be joined together. The
>source of this information id the Magic Lantern Guide for the
>D5100 by Simon Stafford. I hope this helps.
>
>Best wishes,
>
>Dave

How much would these leads cost?

Daveecopping Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2011Wed 18-Jan-12 10:29 AM
173 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Activating Flash During Exposure"
In response to Reply # 8

Polegate, GB

If you go to Amazon UK and enter a search for Nikon SC-28 or SC-29, a few options will present themselves.

Dave

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gohan2091 Registered since 02nd Dec 2011Wed 18-Jan-12 10:40 AM
#10. "RE: Activating Flash During Exposure"
In response to Reply # 9

GB

>If you go to Amazon UK and enter a search for Nikon SC-28 or
>SC-29, a few options will present themselves.
>
>Dave

This seems to do the job:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kaavie-Version-Remote-SB-900-SB-80DX/dp/B002H4WQBS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Enables me to use the SB-700 outside the camera like I could if I had a D7000. Thanks, I am not sure if I will buy it now though, I haven't learnt to use the speedlight on the camera yet. It will be very likely that I purchase this in the future.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 19-Jan-12 07:05 AM
26719 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#11. "RE: Activating Flash During Exposure"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Joseph has nailed all of the relevant items: manually fired flash, don't touch the camera during the exposure. The other devices are potentially interesting, but in my opinion for this particular application are just more things to go wrong. I've done almost exactly the same thing (although with smoke instead of water).

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #5199 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.