Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2246
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Upgrade from D50" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
rnield Registered since 16th Jul 2010Tue 03-Aug-10 10:03 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Upgrade from D50"

GB

i currently have a D50 and am considering upgrading. i am a freelance journalist who does a lot of travelling with my reporting (mainly in the Middle East and South America) and i want to be able to sell photographs from my travels to add an extra source of income (and enjoyment).

i started to use the D50 regularly about a year ago, and am now learning to manipulate aperture, shutter speed, ISO, manual focus etc, independently of the scene mode offerings. i typically shoot 2-3k images on a trip, and travel roughly every 3 months.

what i would like to know is first whether i am right in thinking i'd be well-advised to upgrade my camera body in order to increase the resolution, so i can produce a higher quality image / larger publishable image at 300dpi?

second - if i do need to upgrade, then how far do i need to go? i've looked at D90, D5000, D300s and D700 and found myself unable to determine which i need, given the combination of being at a relatively early point on the digital photography learning curve, but still wanting to produce publishable-quality images.

i only have basic lenses too, the 18-55mm kit lens and the AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm 4-5.6G.

any advice greatly appreciated!!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 03-Aug-10 10:16 PM
25711 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Upgrade from D50"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Richard,

Welcome to Nikonians!
You might want to ask your publisher as to what they want to see regarding image file sizes and resolution. What works for a newspaper would not be acceptabe at National Geographic. Each has their own requirements. Your D50 may be all you need.
Adding new glass will usually do more to increase Image Quality than replacing the camera body.
Your subject and ambient conditions should be taken into account when choosing the best camera and lenses for your particular needs.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

rnield Registered since 16th Jul 2010Wed 04-Aug-10 07:52 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Upgrade from D50"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

thanks Marty!

you said that glass selection comes down to what i'm shooting - can you give me any more guidance? all i can tell you first off is that i'm not a sports/wildlife photographer, so won't be shooting fast moving objects!

Richard

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Wed 04-Aug-10 02:35 PM
50262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Upgrade from D50"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Please post any further replies in this duplicate thread:

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=150&topic_id=244030&mesg_id=244030&page=

Thanks.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2246 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.