Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7221
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Memory card speeds for HD video on D3200" Previous topic | Next topic
Pacman32 Registered since 13th Nov 2012Wed 12-Dec-12 06:35 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Memory card speeds for HD video on D3200"

US

Since I need more memory to handle all of my D3200's megapixels, I'm trying to decide which level of memory card to get. I typically get fast SanDisk cards. I see that you can get the Ultra line, which looks to be very fast -- class 10 / 30mb/s . From my reading, it looks like this should be fine for shooting HD video (which I am assuming is the thing that would require the most speed of anything that I can do with the camera). Have any of you found any reason to want to take the step up to the pro line, with its 95 mb/s?

By the way, I should say that I probably won't be shooting a ton of video, but I'd like to have the capability to do that well.

Also, if you think I should move away from the SanDisk offerings, let me know. They have been a reliable brand for me, but maybe there are some cost savings or better quality to be had.

Thanks!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Wed 12-Dec-12 08:48 PM
289 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Memory card speeds for HD video on D3200"
In response to Reply # 0

Springfield, US

I went the pro route because I am shooting flying birds using continuous mode. Point the camera just to the side of the feeder and as soon as I see movement, I fire a burst. At some point the buffer has to write to the card. there have been times when a bird has flown in and when he landed, all the other birds scattered. I got him coming in, but missed all the action as the rest scattered because the camera was writing to the card. I seem to be able to fire the next burst sooner with the faster card. (by the way, I'm using a d5100, but I would expect the situation to be the same with your camera.)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Pacman32 Registered since 13th Nov 2012Wed 12-Dec-12 10:04 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Memory card speeds for HD video on D3200"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Do you not think an ultra-level card could handle that? I have to think that it would be up to the challenge if it can take HD video and has class 10 speed.

By the way, as I am doing my research, I'm doubting whether the huge rates that SanDisk advertises are anywhere near the speed the card actually provides. If that is right, I guess the question is whether all of the advertised speeds are equally inflated, so that each level up is actually faster than the previous one (just not nearly as fast as advertised).

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 12-Dec-12 10:20 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Memory card speeds for HD video on D3200"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 12-Dec-12 10:30 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

You need to consider the equipment the card is placed in. SanDisk is reporting their top speed with a card reader or other device that operates at that speed or better.

If you camera's bus speed between the camera's processor and the card.

If your camera can only deliver data at 28 MegaBytes will not record data to a 95 MegaByte card any faster than 28 MegaBytes. SanDisk rate the cards with the "Speeds up to" because of the possible equipment limitation.

Because card readers are relatively cheap, you can get a benefit from a faster card when using a new fast card reader to transfer the images.

Look at Rob Galbraith Nikon D4 SanDisk Extreme 60MB/s 16GB Burst is 74MB

Nikon D3s SanDisk Extreme 60MB/s 16GB has a burst speed of 67MB.

Look at the internal and external identifiers, they appear to be the same card in different cameras.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Pacman32 Registered since 13th Nov 2012Wed 12-Dec-12 10:55 PM
#4. "RE: Memory card speeds for HD video on D3200"
In response to Reply # 3

US

So I wonder how fast a D3200 can deliver data? I'm not very concerned with delivering data to a computer from the card, apart from the fact that I'd like it not to take a ton of time.

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Thu 13-Dec-12 09:02 AM
742 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Memory card speeds for HD video on D3200"
In response to Reply # 4
Thu 13-Dec-12 09:02 AM by John Bertotti

Garretson, US

I picked up a couple sndisk cards 8 gig class 10 95 Mbs speed, 19.99. Seemed like a good sale for a fast card. They worked well I save them for when I want a lot at once. In my I timed very subjective trial I thought they cleared the buffer a bit quicker. Never tried them with video but they are the ones I will use. I have never had a problem with the 30 or 35 Mbs cards I have.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7221 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.