Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #311
View in threaded mode

Subject: "New D5000, new to SLR, new to Nikonians" Previous topic | Next topic
Krash7172 Registered since 21st Jun 2009Sun 21-Jun-09 08:47 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New D5000, new to SLR, new to Nikonians"

US

I bought a D5000 this week. I've been using a Coolpix underwater for years and planned to eventually get into SLR. I have an Alaska trip planned next month and finally caved in. I got the kit with the 18-55mm VR lens and purchased the 50mm 1.4 and 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 VR lenses.

Very happy

I have a question about the camera when not in use. I've taken a few hundred pictures just feeling it out. I live on a golf course and have plenty of subjects in the 50-100 yard range that I plan to take photos of wildlife in while on my vacation. The screen turns off very quickly and the battery is still showing full after several days. This is great but I am now curious if it is necessary to actually turn the camera off when you arent taking pictures. What about VR lenses? Are they using power when you aren't pressing the shutter button? I bought a spare battery but I want to know how the camera (and lens) functions.

Thanks in advance!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009Mon 22-Jun-09 03:18 AM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New D5000, new to SLR, new to Nikonians"
In response to Reply # 0

Spring Hill, US

I've charged my battery twice since I've had it, and I'm at nearly 800 images so far. The camera and lenses seem to be power misers of the first order.

VR uses power when you're at half-press, and for a few seconds after you release (in case you want to shoot again quickly). You can tell this by the 'click' from the lens. I can't feel the VR in my lens, but my images tell the tale whether it's on or off.

I occasionally forget to turn the camera off, and have to switch the camera to off, then back on to go active, so I'm presuming the camera has an auto-off feature.

My pictures are gradually improving, with most family snapshots and the like being taken in Auto mode, and most of the 'art' shots being taken in Aperture priority mode.

I'm sure you will love your D5000. I love mine.

-TM-

Visit My webpage and gallery..

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 22-Jun-09 08:56 PM
25743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New D5000, new to SLR, new to Nikonians"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Chris,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Congratulations on your new D5000 kit!
When I am not using my camera I turn the power off. If you place the camera in a bag with the power on, the shutter release button can get pressed in some cases releasing the shutter, in all cases draining the battery. When the meter times out, the meter and VR turn off and the camera goes into standby mode. In standby mode the battery is being drained but by a very small amount. Of course over prolonged periods this can add up to a drained battery.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #311 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.