nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #160
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Sunset shot from D5000" Previous topic | Next topic
mfaccone Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Apr 2008Fri 01-May-09 05:33 AM
429 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Sunset shot from D5000"
Fri 01-May-09 05:50 AM by mfaccone

Bend, US

Took the D5000 out for some quick test shots this evening.
Played around with some scenes but always went back to shutter or aperture priority.
Fun little camera.

EXIF Info
Device: Nikon d5000
Lens: VR 18-200 F/3.5-5.6G
Focal Length: 18mm
Focus Mode: AF-A
AF-Area Mode: Single
Aperture: F/7.1
Shutter Speed: 1/200
ISO: Auto (ISO 200)
IQ: Compressed RAW (12 bit)

What do you think?

Mark

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
adcam Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2007Sat 02-May-09 01:40 AM
596 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Sunset shot from D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

Portland, US

Nice sunset picture!

edac Registered since 18th Jan 2007Sun 03-May-09 09:19 AM
289 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Sunset shot from D5000"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 03-May-09 09:21 AM by edac

US

Very nice! Looks good to me. I am assuming you like the camera, what camera did you have before, and how do you like the D5000 compared to the other so far?

Mark

It's Good to be Gold!
Proudly Supporting Nikonians

---------------------------------
Not all those who wander are lost.

yelcab Registered since 30th Nov 2006Sun 03-May-09 05:04 PM
911 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Sunset shot from D5000"
In response to Reply # 2

San carlos, US

Nice colorful sunset with distracting foreground and very little detail in the sky leading to a bland composition. But, very good sharpness for a camera.

mfaccone Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Apr 2008Mon 04-May-09 03:03 AM
429 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Sunset shot from D5000"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon 04-May-09 06:34 AM by mfaccone

Bend, US

I was just testing the camera out..
I have owned a D300 for over a year and had a D40 up until a few weeks ago.
I was just curious as to the comparison between the D300 sensor and this one, so the shop let me compare.
I see little difference between the two except that the D300 is a lot more configurable. The picture quality is about the same though.
I do like this camera... although I am not going to get rid of the D300 any time soon.
But if I were in the market for another camera... I'd choose this one. Fun, lightweight, same sensor as D90.. 400.00 less.

Mark

mfaccone Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Apr 2008Mon 04-May-09 03:05 AM
#5. "RE: Sunset shot from D5000"
In response to Reply # 3

Bend, US

It was a quick composition... hand held as I only had a few min. with the camera to compare with my D300. Took only one shot.. as I didn't want to add many shutter clicks on the store demo.

Mark

yelcab Registered since 30th Nov 2006Mon 04-May-09 12:30 PM
911 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Sunset shot from D5000"
In response to Reply # 4

San carlos, US

Does it have auto CA correction like the D300?

mfaccone Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Apr 2008Mon 04-May-09 05:22 PM
#7. "RE: Sunset shot from D5000"
In response to Reply # 6

Bend, US

I believe it has the same ability as the D300. I don't have the camera in my hands at the moment. Personally, I never thought it worked that well even in my D300. There isn't any mention of it in the D300 manual so I would assume there isn't any mention of it in the d5000 manual either. It might take care of some lateral chromatic aberration but that's about it. I personally haven't noticed one way or the other to tell you the truth.
It does have an Auto Distortion Control which helps in reducing pin cushion and barrel distortion on G and D type lenses. Basically will do what DXO does, only in camera if you choose that option.

Mark

for27 Registered since 13th May 2009Sun 24-May-09 03:53 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Sunset shot from D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I did the same thing. Got my new D5000 out and caught this image overlooking Cape Cod bay looking west towards the Cape Cod Canal.
I am a rank amateur so I'm sure there is plenty wrong with the pic but I'm ready to learn.
BTW, love the camera!
Bob

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

jjsifo Registered since 01st Jun 2008Sun 24-May-09 09:42 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Sunset shot from D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

San Juan, US

Very NICE!! the shot is great , but what gets to me is I think I underestimated that lens, and have been ignoring it for a good while, other than that, nice image, good for you. ,jjsifo

vbxt Registered since 02nd Jun 2009Wed 03-Jun-09 03:33 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Sunset shot from D5000"
In response to Reply # 9
Wed 03-Jun-09 03:44 PM by vbxt

US

Hi,

I'm new and I can't embed photos, but here a few shots a took with my new D5000 and Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OS HSM. You'll find two sunset photos.

I cropped a few of these, but I added no post processing. These are straight from the camera.

Mark

link: http://picasaweb.google.com/Mark.Moulton/Pictures?feat=directlink

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Fri 05-Jun-09 07:41 PM
2577 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Sunset shot from D5000"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Hi,Larry here ; nice short set.Impressive!.Like that dog shot.Crane (at left)in flight.And sunset w/man piloting boat just where he is to the right of sun on water - bet ya can do an awesome crop of that ! AND WOW WHAT COLOR STRAIGHT FROM THE D5000 !!! - on those sunset shots.I have my D5000w/2VR lenses three days.Check the other Larry E-30 posts to see two shots I posted W/D5000.

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Fri 05-Jun-09 08:06 PM
2577 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Sunset shot from D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi,Larry E-30 here;I think the test sunset is impressive,especially that there is light and detail ON THE SAND (that it didn't come black),and I think (I would) crop (some) off the top.I'm giving myself more freedom to use many controls/modes.!...and I'm liking it!!But I (too) keep going back to P or S ...and dept is SO SHALLOW gotta go back to A too.But A is reversed from P and S (in adj.wheel - to change settings).I like pushing the wheel to the right to bring down the appiture to f/22 way (IN ANY MODE I'M IN).I have been an A shooter from P+S cameras - I needed to come to faster shutter speeds ... now w/SLRs I need more DOF. The D5000 seems like a pritty good camera.And my kit came with two Nikon school DVD's!!!AND THEY WERE BOTH GOOD.Got mine in Costco.

vbxt Registered since 02nd Jun 2009Fri 05-Jun-09 10:17 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Sunset shot from D5000"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Thanks Larry,

Those are my favorite shots too! It was just my second day with my D5000.

Mark

vbxt Registered since 02nd Jun 2009Fri 05-Jun-09 10:38 PM
#14. "RE: Sunset shot from D5000"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Thanks Larry,

Those are my favorite shots too! It was just my second day with my D5000.

Mark

vbxt Registered since 02nd Jun 2009Sat 06-Jun-09 12:03 AM
#15. "RE: Sunset shot from D5000"
In response to Reply # 10

US

New link for Picasa online:

http://picasaweb.google.com/vbxt00/NikonD5000?feat=directlink

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Sun 16-Aug-09 01:31 AM
1589 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Sunset shot from D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

Frederick, US

That is really a good shot Mark. The last good sunset I snapped was in Key West a year ago and I was Nikon-less at that time (but the shot was still good - I'll have to upload it to my gallery).

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, D750, and a handful of lenses.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #160 Previous topic | Next topic