Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #782
View in threaded mode

Subject: "BATTERY GRIP FOR THE D5000...?" Previous topic | Next topic
ORTHOZAC Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Sep 2009Sun 18-Oct-09 04:17 AM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"BATTERY GRIP FOR THE D5000...?"

ZACATECAS, MX

HELLO EVERYONE, GOOD EVENING:
Please forgive my ignorance about this matter, but does anybody knows if Nikon is planning to support the popular D5000 with a battery grip, remember the fantastic D70s? I got it three years ago and waited one whole year for a battery grip until decided to give up and purchased a fantastic and truly reliable D80 powered on a battery grip. Reason I asked is because until one week ago I was aiming at a D90 ( the battery grip of the D80 is fully compatible with it)... So, sensor is the same and with the learning curve of the D80 already finished should be really easy to take advantage of the D5000 from day one... Any help and orientation would be appreciated...

PUSH THE BUTTOM MAX! Jack Lemon, from the film "The great race"... my personal favorite... and a war yell for true photographers.

Best regards... Joseph!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 18-Oct-09 05:00 AM
25985 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: BATTERY GRIP FOR THE D5000...?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Joseph,

I don't think that Nikon will ever introduce a Battery Grip for the D5000. Most D5000 users would never want one so demand would be very limited. There are third party versions available though I would not recommend getting one.
The controls on the D90 are much closer to the D80 than the controls on the D5000. Many functions on the D5000 can only be accessed through the cameras menu where the same function on the D90 with a dedicated switch or button.
I use that line all the time!
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

snapsh0t Registered since 30th Aug 2009Sun 18-Oct-09 06:45 AM
157 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: BATTERY GRIP FOR THE D5000...?"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

As a generalisation, the cameras powered by EN-EL9 batteries are not designed to take an extra grip and have none of the extra contacts required to make one useful. Without a bit of fudging it can only be a battery grip and not a full control grip like your D80 has. Even with fudging, it can only extend the shutter button and none of the extra functions.

However, I disagree with Marty about third-party grips and would just say to make sure you buy one that is for the D5000 only, not one that is for the D40/60 as well. The long-term residents round here are far too prone to toe the Nikon-only line.

Jonathan

ionphoenix Registered since 10th Aug 2009Sun 18-Oct-09 09:06 AM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: BATTERY GRIP FOR THE D5000...?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

im currently using an lcd 3rd party battery grip for d40 and it works well with the d5000.check ebay!.however it functions via remote transmission at the bottom. it has neat working function like time delay shutter and long exposure.

Buying a Nikon doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner. ~Author Unknown

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 19-Oct-09 04:50 AM
25985 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: BATTERY GRIP FOR THE D5000...?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Jonathan,

The reason I don't recommend third party grips or batteries for that matter is:
1. Since the grip must power the camera if there is a short in the grip the electronics in the camera can be destroyed voiding the Nikon warranty instantly.
2. The quality control of third party batteries and equipment is suspect. The third party manufacturers grip compared to Nikon grips come up short in every one that I have seen.
3. I tried to save a few dollars and purchased aftermarket batteries. Neither battery (EN-EL4 and EN-EL3e) would work in my cameras. They were returned to their respective manufacturer for replacement at my cost. The replacements that they sent did not work either. They were returned to the retailer again at my cost. I paid the difference and ordered the Nikon batteries and I have never had an issue with them since.
4. Nikon batteries have proprietary chips in them, the third party batteries don't.
5. Lithium ion batteries have been known to start fires. The chips in the battery prevent overcharging which can damage the battery leading to problems.

Spend a little more on the Nikon product: have peace of mind and sleep well or save a few dollars and take your chances.
The risk is all yours!
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #782 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.