nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7122
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Samyang/Rokinon 8mm on Nikon D5100" Previous topic | Next topic
ksraghavendra Registered since 28th Nov 2012Wed 28-Nov-12 07:38 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Samyang/Rokinon 8mm on Nikon D5100"
Wed 28-Nov-12 07:39 PM by ksraghavendra

IN

Hello everyone,
New to the forum & newbie photographer too, kindly bear with my ignorance. I am planning to buy a Rokinon 8mm http://goo.gl/zJIP2 to use with my Nikon D5100. I have read the reviews of the lens & some sample pictures and it looks best value for money. I have never used a manual lens with my Nikon. There are 2 versions of this lens on Amazon, one with Auto Exposure & Aperture and one without. Is there a major difference between the two versions.
I am used to my kit lens & 50mm and never used a third party or manual lenses. I read that with non AF lenses D5100 doesn't meter. Is is that true? How to get over this problem?
Thanks in advance,
Raghav

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 29-Nov-12 12:30 AM
27047 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Samyang/Rokinon 8mm on Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Raghavendra,

Welcome to Nikonians!
The D5100 requires the lens to have a CPU Chip built into it in order to provide metering. All AF lenses have a Chip so they will meter on the D5100.
The older Nikkor P series MF lenses and some of the newer Third Party Manufacturers MF lenses have a Chip (check for electrical contacts on the lens) that will allow metering.
The older MF lenses and the new ones without CPU Chips (no electrical contacts on the lens) will not meter on the D5100. They can be used in Manual exposure mode and Manual ISO. You will have to use a hand held Light Meter, the Sunny 16 Rule, or the Trial and Error method using the Histogram to set the correct exposure.
Given that most fisheye lenses have a very larger DOF even wide open focusing should be very easy.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

ksraghavendra Registered since 28th Nov 2012Thu 29-Nov-12 04:30 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Samyang/Rokinon 8mm on Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 1

IN

Hi Marty,
Thank you for your guidance. I was planning to shoot some spherical panoramas for which I was considering this lens since it is not too expensive. I guess even the Sigma 8mm doesn't have the electrical contacts(as the Sigma website says). So that leaves me with Nikon 10.5mm. But that seems like a slightly costly option for me as of now.
Need another advice, assuming I have to budget maybe a couple of months later, do you feel upgrading to D7000(to use with Samyang 8mm) is better than spending on the Nikon 10.5?
Thanks again,
Raghav

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 29-Nov-12 09:25 AM
27047 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Samyang/Rokinon 8mm on Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Raghav,
>I was planning to shoot some
>spherical panoramas for which I was considering this lens
>since it is not too expensive.

>I guess even the Sigma 8mmn doesn't have the electrical contacts(as >the Sigma website says).

No! The Sigma 8mm f/3.5 EX DG is an AF lens and therefore has a CPU Chip and electrical contacts so it can communicate with the camera body. So it will meter when mounted on your D5100. It won't AF on the D5100 because it has a screwdriver type AF drive instead of an AF motor built into the lens.
Keep in mind that the Sigma 8mm f/3.5 EX DG is a Circular fisheye designed for FX bodies and will likely be a rectangular fisheye on a DX body. The Sigma 4.5mm f/2.8EX DC HSM Circular fisheye was designed to be used on DX bodies like your D5100 and the D7000 for that matter. It has a Hyper Sonic (AF) Motor built into the lens so it will AF on your D5100.

>So that leaves me with Nikon 10.5mm. But that seems
>like a slightly costly option for me as of now.

The Nikkor AF 10.5mm f/2.8G ED IF DX doesn't have a built in AF motor so it won't AF on your D5100 either. Like the Sigma 8mm, it will meter.

>Need another advice, assuming I have to budget maybe a couple
>of months later, do you feel upgrading to D7000(to use with
>Samyang 8mm) is better than spending on the Nikon 10.5?

The Nikkor 10.5mm is optically excellent. I have never used the Samyang?Rokinon though I suspect that it isn't as good as the Nikkor or either Sigma both optically or in build quality.
The Rokinon that yop provided a link to seems to have a CPU Chip so it should meter on your D5100.

Best Regards,
Marty

ksraghavendra Registered since 28th Nov 2012Thu 29-Nov-12 10:10 AM
#4. "RE: Samyang/Rokinon 8mm on Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 3

IN

Hi Marty,
I have tried the Rokinon 8mm on a friend's canon and it is very sharp & build quality is also solid. I wouldn't prefer carrying a light meter so if the lens has AE/AF chip then I would be more than glad to grab one. Found this on Dpreview- http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/11/25/samyang8nikon and on Rokinon website- http://www.rokinon.com/product.php?id=8
I am not really worried abt AF esp with a fisheye but AE would be a handicap. Can someone confirm if the chipped version of the lens works as it claims on a 5100?
Thanks a lot!
Regards,
Raghav

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 29-Nov-12 10:52 PM
#5. "RE: Samyang/Rokinon 8mm on Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Raghav,

You mIght get more responses if you ask this question in the MF Lenses forum.

Best Regards,
Marty

ksraghavendra Registered since 28th Nov 2012Fri 30-Nov-12 10:03 AM
#6. "RE: Samyang/Rokinon 8mm on Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 5

IN

Hi Marty,
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I'll post this question in the MF Forum.
Regards,
Raghav

jerryl5150 Registered since 09th Mar 2012Wed 05-Dec-12 05:57 AM
46 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Samyang/Rokinon 8mm on Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

Los Angeles, US

I own the exact lens. Its made by Bower which its the same as Samyang/Rokinon/Pro Optic. After doing tons of research I decided to purchase this lens. Im very happy I did. As a beginner in photography I found it very easy to use. Just set it up in manual mode and adjust some settings. Very easy to focus and very sharp. For the price...its a steal.

HHargitt Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2010Thu 06-Dec-12 07:48 AM
515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Samyang/Rokinon 8mm on Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 4

Maple Ridge, CA

I have the chipped lens and a D5000, which I think has the same restrictions as the 5100, and it meters with the chipped version. I haven't had a chance to really evaluate it, but my initial impression that it is reasonable sharp. One bonus is that Lightroom ids it as the Sigma fisheye when you click on the lens correction and does a fair good job of straightening.

Happy shooting,

Howard

Will shoot for fame...fun...food... a heck I'll shoot anytime anywhere.

pistnbroke Registered since 01st Jul 2012Mon 10-Dec-12 12:07 PM
213 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Samyang/Rokinon 8mm on Nikon D5100"
In response to Reply # 8
Mon 10-Dec-12 12:10 PM by pistnbroke

UK

have a look at a Nikon FC-E9 http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/lens/5700-lens-fish.html

with a 24 mm lens on DX you will get a full 186 deg circle I stick it on my 10-20 sigma at 20mm just mount it with step up rings no spacer tube required ..fabulus..auto focus works to

if I could work out how to post a photo I would post one !!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7122 Previous topic | Next topic