Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7043
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Strange Tamron" Previous topic | Next topic
srd1941 Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2012Sat 10-Nov-12 09:45 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Strange Tamron"

Waterville, US

Yesterday I got my D5100 back from Nikon Repair for a focus tweak and was trying it with various lenses. Focus looked good but a strange thing happened. I had a Tamron 70-300 mounted and had snapped several pictures which were OK and then all of a sudden a photo was way dark. I looked at my settings on the LCD and they looked right so checked the data and found that I had shot at 1/2500 of a second. I metered again and LCD showed 1/60 so shot another photo and still way dark. I again took a look at the settings on the LCD which continued to read 1/60 of a second. I then replaced the lens with a Tamron 10-24 and all was well. I checked it with a Nikon 18-55, a 35 1.8, a 55-200 and again the Tamron 10-24 which all worked well. I re-installed the 70-300 and it worked just fine. Today I installed the Tamron 70-300 again and it worked as it should. What in the world would cause the camera to meter at one setting and the lens stop down to entirely different setting?
Stan

Stan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 10-Nov-12 10:11 PM
5860 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Strange Tamron"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

The cynic in me would ponder whether Tamron is owned by Microsoft, but let's not go there.

It could have been a slight misalignment of the lens in the mount, or a bit of something that was preventing one of the contacts from having a good connection.

If it went away after mounting the remounting the lens, and does not reappear, I wouldn't worry about it.

If it happens again with just this lens, you probably want to check the contacts and consider sending it in for service.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

srd1941 Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2012Sun 11-Nov-12 12:27 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Strange Tamron"
In response to Reply # 1

Waterville, US

I think you’re right Mick. It must have something to do with the contacts. This lens snaps in real tight and I have used it on my D60 with no problem. What was funny was that I had a shutter speed of 1/60 on the LCD and 1/2500 in the view finder. The lens had stopped way down so the photo was almost black. The camera obviously wasn’t communicating correctly with the lens but having just gotten the camera back from Nikon Repair it caused some concern. Pretty much has to be the contacts.
Stan

Stan

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Wed 28-Nov-12 02:15 PM
282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Strange Tamron"
In response to Reply # 0

Springfield, US

>Yesterday I got my D5100 back from Nikon Repair for a focus
>tweak and was trying it with various lenses.
>Stan

I've been thinking about sending mine in for a focus tweak. How long did it take and are you satisfied with the results?

srd1941 Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2012Wed 28-Nov-12 06:47 PM
#4. "RE: Strange Tamron"
In response to Reply # 3

Waterville, US

Hi
My D5100 is a refurbished unit from Cameta in NY so the warranty is through them. I sent the camera to them on Oct. 3. Cameta forwarded it to the repair center at Mellville and it was returned to me the 12th of November. Keep in mind Sandra hit the area causing delays during that time.

My wife and I each have a D60 and we were both getting a little sharper photos with the D60 than I was with my D5100. It always seemed to me that the focus was a little off. Not a lot mind you, just a little bit. When I questioned this I was told that I needed to develop better technique using the D5100 than I did with the D60 because of the increased mp. Now I don’t pretend to be any kind of a photographer but I’ve been shooting firearms since I was out of diapers and it seemed to me that the principle was the same so it shouldn’t be too hard. Well I bought a D7000 and with no change in technique the photos were nice and sharp.

I guess Mellville must have tweaked the focus on the 5100 a bit because the photos look better than they did before I sent it in. Either that or my eyes have changed. There was no documentation included with the returned camera so I really don’t know what they did if anything. Trying times for them I’m sure. I’m surprised they got it back to as soon as they did. So, to answer your question, yes I’m satisfied with the service. And I’m very satisfied with Cameta.
Stan

Stan

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Fri 30-Nov-12 10:24 PM
282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Strange Tamron"
In response to Reply # 4

Springfield, US

Thanks for the info. I think it's time for me to send it off.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7043 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.