Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6670
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D5100 Apperture Behavior in Video Mode" Previous topic | Next topic
grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Fri 07-Sep-12 06:20 PM
282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 Apperture Behavior in Video Mode"
Fri 07-Sep-12 06:38 PM by grnzbra

Springfield, US

"Back in the day", I would select the focus, apperture and shutter speed on my SLR. When I fired the shot, the mirror would go up, the apperture would stop down to the selected setting and the shutter would open for its selected setting and the process would reverse back to mirror down and lens wide open. If one wanted to get an idea of the depth of field, there was a "Preview" button that stopped the apperture down to its preset value. When this was the done, the view in the viewfinder darkened.

For photography with the d5100, I assume the same process holds (except everyting is automatic unless camera is told otherwise). However, when I was playing with the video function of the 5100, I set ISO at 800 and opened the lens up all the way. I could watch in LiveView at a certain brightness. I then set the lens at f/18. The brigtness of the LiveView and the resultant video didn't seem to change. This was indoors at night with just a room light. I would have expected the picture to go almost black when the lens was stopped down. (I was in Apperture Priority when I adjusted the apperture setting). Does the apperture setting not apply in video mode?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Fri 07-Sep-12 09:00 PM
3189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5100 Apperture Behavior in Video Mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

I do not own a D5100, but I have read that the behavior you describe is "normal". That is one complaint about Nikon video. Perhaps newer bodies have changed that.

Alan

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Fri 07-Sep-12 09:19 PM
282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5100 Apperture Behavior in Video Mode"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 07-Sep-12 09:23 PM by grnzbra

Springfield, US

So stopping down the lens does nothing for depth of field? Can focus be controlled manually or does Nikon try to protect us from ourselves here too?

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Fri 07-Sep-12 10:30 PM
2923 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5100 Apperture Behavior in Video Mode"
In response to Reply # 2

Hatboro, Pa, US

Stopping the lens down in Aperture priority movie mode does increase the dof just as it does for a still photo. However you need to set the aperture prior to turning on Liveview. The aperture won't change to a new setting until you turn off Liveview, reset the aperture and then turn Liveview on again. You can't change the aperture while recording.

The reason the LCD stays bright is the gain to the LCD is increased in order to keep a constant brightness over a wide range of ambient light.

I normally don't shoot videos but of the 3 or 4 I've taken this is the way the camera reacted to different f stops. I only use A mode so I don't know how it would react in P, M or M mode.

I know there are a few on this forum that take videos all the time. They might be able to expand on my experience.

Len

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 08-Sep-12 02:51 PM
3189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5100 Apperture Behavior in Video Mode"
In response to Reply # 2

Nevis, US

The lens won't stop down to a new aperture while in Live View, so, no, DOF and exposure won't change. As Len has already mentioned, you need to set the aperture while out of Live View, i.e. it won't respond to a change while in Live View.

Alan

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Sun 09-Sep-12 04:22 AM
#5. "RE: D5100 Apperture Behavior in Video Mode"
In response to Reply # 4

Springfield, US

I understand that you can't change it in Live View, but if you set it to, let's say, f/18 in aperture view, will it shoot video at f/18 when you go back to live view? Or will it just go back to wide open?

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 09-Sep-12 12:52 PM
2923 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D5100 Apperture Behavior in Video Mode"
In response to Reply # 5

Hatboro, Pa, US

>I understand that you can't change it in Live View, but if
>you set it to, let's say, f/18 in aperture view, will it shoot
>video at f/18 when you go back to live view? Or will it just
>go back to wide open?

It will shoot the video at f18. This is very easy to check. First use a lens where you can see the aperture blades when it's stopped down. Then set the aperture to f18 or f22. Turn on Liveview. Then turn on movie mode and start recording. If you now look into the lens you'll see the aperture is stopped down while the movie is recording.

Len

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 09-Sep-12 02:25 PM
#7. "RE: D5100 Apperture Behavior in Video Mode"
In response to Reply # 6

Hatboro, Pa, US

Here is a photo of my D5100. The lens is an AFS 35mm f1.8G. The camera is in Aperture priority mode and the lens is set to f22. The camera has Liveview on and is recording a movie in Movie mode. As you can see the lens is stopped down while recording.

Len

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 09-Sep-12 02:44 PM
#8. "RE: D5100 Apperture Behavior in Video Mode"
In response to Reply # 7

Hatboro, Pa, US

Here is a frame from the D5100 movie of me taking a photo of it while it was recording. Considering how close I was with my 105mm macro lens note the wide dof.

Len

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Mon 10-Sep-12 12:42 AM
#9. "RE: D5100 Apperture Behavior in Video Mode"
In response to Reply # 8

Springfield, US

Thank you for the clarification.

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Tue 11-Sep-12 10:47 AM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D5100 Apperture Behavior in Video Mode"
In response to Reply # 3

HIXSON, US

>>"I normally don't shoot videos but of the 3 or 4 I've taken this is the way the camera reacted to different f stops. I only use A mode so I don't know how it would react in P, M or M mode.
"<<

I didn't think that you could shoot video on a D5100 in any other mode but LiveView in Aperture Mode.

Charlie

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6670 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.