Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6611
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Katz Eye into D5100 installation" Previous topic | Next topic
grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Thu 30-Aug-12 04:40 PM
282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Katz Eye into D5100 installation"

Springfield, US

Has anyone here installed a Katz Eye focusing screen in a D5100? How difficult is it to do that job. I looked at their website and it seemed like a piece of cake. Then I took the lens off my camera and looked inside and said. "Yeah, right!". Just how difficult is it to install it?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 02-Sep-12 05:42 PM
26652 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Katz Eye into D5100 installation"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I haven't done it on a D5100, but most DSLRs are built in pretty much the same way. I've done it on both a D2x and a D2h. I know my way around these cameras after about thirty years, and it took me about ten minutes the first time and less than five minutes the second time. It was a little frustrating and tension-filled both times, although I would do it again if I needed do. All it takes is a pair of tweezers, and a good light. (And the tweezers may be included? Can't remember as I did this 4+ years ago.) The hard part is making sure that it's properly aligned, which isn't really that hard, but which is not "oh that is so obvious..."

If you're not familiar with the way the cameras are put together and also reasonably handy with tools, I'd just send it to KatzEye and have them do it. They're quick and reliable.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Tue 04-Sep-12 12:45 PM
282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Katz Eye into D5100 installation"
In response to Reply # 1

Springfield, US

Thank you. I'm the guy you describe in your last statement. I think for the extra couple of bucks, it's worth avoiding the aggrevation.

By the way, Since you installed it a second time, should I assume that you are pleased with the results and find it a useful upgrade?

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 06-Sep-12 10:34 AM
26652 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Katz Eye into D5100 installation"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

I actually installed a second screen! Yes, I found them useful. However, they are not perfect. The problem is that they operate in a rather imperfect optical world, and while they do help a lot, they can't solve the entire problem, which is that DX finders are inherently somewhat less accurate due to the optics required to make the smaller system large enough to be useful.

I found that the OptiBrite version was much more useful than the basic one, largely because it made the entire screen easier to see all the time.

Having said that, I don't use these too much any more. I mostly use a D3 today, and there is no KatzEye option for the D3; I'm not sure why. I don't particularly miss it, because on the D3 I mostly do manual focus with LiveView - and that DOES solve the problem. It eliminates the entire optical viewing system and uses the actual pixels from the sensor, so whatever you see there is what the sensor will capture. I still use the D2x, and it is the first camera out of the bag for macro work, which I at least mostly do with manual focus.

Would I put one in a D3100? Possibly, depending on what type of photography you do with it, and whether or not you are in tune with the use of LiveView.

_____

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Thu 06-Sep-12 09:48 PM
#4. "RE: Katz Eye into D5100 installation"
In response to Reply # 3

Springfield, US

Do you have any problem using live view in bright sun?

I've tried live view and AF-S and gotten similar results, but I didn't have bright sun behind me, so I don't know if that would work.

Certainly wish I could afford/justify getting a full frame camera, but that doesn't seem to be something on the horizon.

Thank you for the help.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 06-Sep-12 10:18 PM
#5. "RE: Katz Eye into D5100 installation"
In response to Reply # 4

Richmond, US

I find that I use LiveView almost exclusively on a tripod. As such it's really pretty easy to shade the LCD so that it is useful. At worst you can look into solutions such as from Hoodman; I presume that they make one for a D5100, they seem to make them for every other Nikon DSLR.

Although an FX viewfinder is much more accurate than a DX finder (for MF; I think they're the same for AF), LiveView is better than either.

_____

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6611 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.