Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6570
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Older Nikkor lenses" Previous topic | Next topic
kiwichappers Registered since 26th Jul 2012Thu 23-Aug-12 02:25 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Older Nikkor lenses"

GB

I have just returned to slightly serious photography with a D3000. Generally I am pleased with the camera but am disappointed to find that although my older lenses used with Ftn, F2 and FE bodies will mount on the D3000 body it tells me 'no lens is fitted'. Is there any way to use the older lenses on the D3000?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Thu 23-Aug-12 03:18 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Older Nikkor lenses"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 23-Aug-12 03:21 PM by jpFoto

US

You can use the older lenses on your camera, but they will not autofocus and they do not meter. To get a proper exposure, you will need to use an external/handheld meter or just guess and adjust your exposure after looking at it and the histogram on the rear display.

jP

Edit: There may be some older lenses that shouldn't be used on that body. I would check into that before trying to mount them so that you don't damage your camera.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Fri 24-Aug-12 03:08 AM
2887 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Older Nikkor lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

You need to put the camera in M (manual) mode. In all the other modes the camera is looking for a CPU lens and when It doesn't find it it says lens not attached. The same will happen if you try flash except it won't even work in M mode. You will need to get an external flash and use it in Auto, non-TTL mode.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

kiwichappers Registered since 26th Jul 2012Fri 24-Aug-12 06:32 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Older Nikkor lenses"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

Now then Len,

Thank you for this advice and the link to your gallery. I have managed to capture some images using my older lenses so am very happy. The lack of automatic functions is a little frustrating but bearable in preference to abandoning my many old lenses.

kind regards
Kiwichappers

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 24-Aug-12 06:54 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Older Nikkor lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

The D3000 and all the dSLRs take advantage of a computer chip within the lens to provide information to the camera and the camera to control the iris and control a focus motor if the lens contains the SWM. If the lens is not "chipped" then you will have manually focus and set the f stop and shutter speed as previously noted.

See page 169 of your user manual for more information.

To use even older lenses see John White\'s AI Conversions for more information.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

kiwichappers Registered since 26th Jul 2012Thu 30-Aug-12 01:25 PM
#5. "RE: Older Nikkor lenses"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

Thank you George, the link has been useful and reassuring. I am making progress working with my older lenses. They are predominantly all external coupling types bought when I set up my orignal kit with a F2 and Nikkormat FTN bodies. The lack of auto dialogue is not such a handicap as much of my current interest is photographing models I am building.

kind regards
Francis

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 03-Sep-12 04:50 AM
25569 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Older Nikkor lenses"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Francis,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Keep in mind that if you upgrade to a higher level body: D7000, D_00 series, or D_ series body you will gain metering with your old MF lenses but you will have to have them converted to AI spec. in order to safely mount them on the camera body.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6570 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.