Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6549
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Car Show Comparison Shots" Previous topic | Next topic
jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Mon 20-Aug-12 02:20 AM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Car Show Comparison Shots"
Mon 20-Aug-12 02:28 AM by jpFoto

US

If you think that your D3200 is less than a state of the art camera, think again. Since I have been debating whether or not to bring my D3s with me on an upcoming trip as opposed to taking just my D3200, I took them both to a car show today and took the same shots with both. I'm hard pressed to see much of a difference. Here they are.

All of the EXIF data should be there.

All of the photos taken with the D3S were taken with the Nikkor 14-24 and all of the photos taken with the D3200 were taken with the Nikkor 10-24.

D3S at 1/400 f/4.5 ISO 200

D3200 at 1/160 f/4/5 ISO 100

D3s at 1/320 f/5.6 ISO 200

D3200 at 1/200 f/5.6 ISO 100

D3200 at 1/125 f/5.6 ISO 200

D3s at 1/160 f/5.6 ISO 360

D3200 at 1/125 f/5.6 ISO 200

You can't tell alot from these, so I am going to do some huge crops from these files to see if we can tell the difference.

jP

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)
Attachment #6, (jpg file)
Attachment #7, (jpg file)
Attachment #8, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Mon 20-Aug-12 02:51 AM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Car Show Comparison Shots"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 20-Aug-12 03:07 AM by jpFoto

US

Here are some crops:

D3S

D3200

D3S

D3200

Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)

Locton Registered since 14th Jun 2012Mon 20-Aug-12 08:34 AM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Car Show Comparison Shots"
In response to Reply # 1

Farnham, GB

Hi there, first of all nice shots.

i have a D3200 which is my only camera, i really do not need anything else, but i think that although the D3200 produces a very good image you can see quite clearly certain differences.

if you look away from the cars you will see in the first photo the trees & the woman in red under the canopy is far sharper with the D3, also the note on the car windscreen & the red bar below the windscreen as well as the grill are sharper on the D3.

again in the 2nd photo the grill is sharper & the people under the canopy are also clearer as are the trees.

i personally think that if you did not have the comparison images the D3200 would stand up really well, but not quite as good as the D3.

i note that the settings on the images are different, could this have anything to do with the difference between the shots?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

schadowrider Platinum Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2012Mon 20-Aug-12 12:28 PM
110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Car Show Comparison Shots"
In response to Reply # 0

Rochester, US

Nice captures all the way around!

On my screen the D3 images are clearly crisper and seem to have a bit more "life" to them (contrast or vibrancy maybe?) -- but would this be more (or at least as much) a factor of differences between the lenses?

Regards,
Glenn

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

http://shadowriderimages.com

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Mon 20-Aug-12 12:45 PM
#4. "RE: Car Show Comparison Shots"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon 20-Aug-12 01:01 PM by jpFoto

US

Jeremy and Glenn

Thanks for your comments, and of course you are both correct about a few things. The 14-24 is a 2.8 lens stopped down to f/4.5 and 5.6 in a couple of the shots. It is also one of Nikon's sharpest lenses. The 10-24 is a 3.5 to 4.5 aperture lens so it is pretty much so wide open in a number of the shots. When I pixel peep the NEFs, they both look pretty good at the focus point which is difficult to see in the tiny jpegs that I posted. So, you are both correct, this is not an Apples to Apples comparison.

Here are two more crops that verify at least part of what Jeremy has said:

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6549 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.