nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #579
View in threaded mode

Subject: "moving from a p90 to a d5000 - "macro" pictures questio..." Previous topic | Next topic
marglar Registered since 15th Sep 2009Tue 15-Sep-09 12:32 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"moving from a p90 to a d5000 - "macro" pictures question"

US

Hi everyone.

I had a p90 for a few months and LOVED it, especially how I could get within a few inches of a subject to take really cool close up images.

my p90 was stolen and I upgraded to a d5000 with a standard issue lens. I'm noticing even in close up mode, I can't get very close in to take really detailed close up shots any more.

I'm sure it is a flaw in my understanding. But, can anyone explain it?

Can my d5000 as it sits, compete with the p90 on those close up shots? Do I have to purchase an expensive macro lens to get the same thing I was getting with my p90?

Any enlightenment here would be MOST appreicated!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 15-Sep-09 01:25 AM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: moving from a p90 to a d5000 - "macro" pictures question"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Welcome to Nikonians,

One of the features of a dSLR is the ability to interchange lenses so one can put on a special purpose or lens designed for a very specific task. So one does not have a single lens that does everything.

You can purchase:

The list is in the order of Image Quality and price.

You might also want to read the Close-up and Macro Photography article.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

marglar Registered since 15th Sep 2009Tue 15-Sep-09 04:26 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: moving from a p90 to a d5000 - "macro" pictures question"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thank you!

DreamInducedHaze Registered since 08th May 2009Fri 18-Sep-09 05:18 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: moving from a p90 to a d5000 - "macro" pictures question"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Forgive my lack of knowledge... how would you use a screw on lens of that sort? They almost look like a filter... would you put it on the end of your lens as you would a filter, or would you need an extension tube? I tried to use Google for help, but no such luck. =(

TL

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 18-Sep-09 07:43 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: moving from a p90 to a d5000 - "macro" pictures question"
In response to Reply # 3

Chicago, US

They are filters and you screw into the front of the lens. The Canon 500D consist of 2 lenses and is considered the best auxiliary lens for this purpose.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #579 Previous topic | Next topic