Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #485
View in threaded mode

Subject: "My open letter to Nikon re: D5000 advisory" Previous topic | Next topic
eNoBlog Registered since 14th Aug 2009Thu 20-Aug-09 01:43 AM
149 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"My open letter to Nikon re: D5000 advisory"
Thu 20-Aug-09 01:44 AM by eNoBlog

US

I don't own a D5000, but as I see all the reports here and elsewhere, I am really feeling for all of you who jumped on the D5000. You can check out my thoughts on the matter at:
http://esfotoclix.com/blog1/?p=515

BTW, my favorite comment/response is:

"Wow, I was actually considering adding the D5000 to my D80. I’m sort of glad I needed to replace my toilet and funds became an issue. It sounds like I’m enjoying my new toilet a lot more than some people are enjoying their D5000."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
eNo
"It's easy to argue about equipment, but hard to argue with a good photograph."

Visit my Blog ~ Gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 20-Aug-09 01:37 PM
10575 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: My open letter to Nikon re: D5000 advisory"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 20-Aug-09 01:42 PM by Covey22

US

You can see by my articles on the Nikonians News Feed that I'm not a screaming-meemy fanboy of Nikon. My philosophy is that you love something enough, you'll know when to critique it for it's good and bad. And yes, I did write up the D5000 advisory articles on the News Feed since it first became public knowledge.

But to be honest, I'm really surprised at the backlash. Yes, Nikon dropped the ball by having a second round "stealth advisory." Yet, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the negativity is partly because most of the D5000 buyers are first-time Nikon DSLR owners, and the people critiquing Nikon apparently have very short memories.

Those of us who have followed the fortunes of the Nikon camera family recall two DSLR advisories that stand out in contrast to this latest situation: namely, the D2H meter failures and the D70 BGLOD (Blinking Green Light of Death).

Some immediate differences:

* There was a groundswell of anecdotal failures being reported in the field before Nikon thought of putting up advisories on said older cameras. This was the most damaging aspect - your customers are holding broken products in their hands and are queueing up, yet you have no prepared statement or even acknowledgement that it is a widespread and consistent failure.

* Critics believe the D5000 advisory is sparse. If you want to see what sparse really means, look in the Nikon KnowledgeBase archives for the D2H and D70 advisories - by comparison, the D5000 page is practically chatty and talkative.

* In certain regions like the US, Nikon set up a dedicated facility strictly to address this issue. Yes, other regions still routed their inspections to their established repair depots, but the decision to actually increase efficiency by not impacting current depots (read more expense on the part of maker with no-pass back to the consumer) is more than generous given the state of the economy at large.

Quite frankly, the 2nd round "stealth advisory," is a big gaffe, but compared to the previous attempts, this one is very open, on-the-table and head-and-shoulders above. Yes, demand better, but trend to understand if this is a downward dip or an improvement. Do some fact checking before damning the maker.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 22-Aug-09 01:15 PM
25680 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: My open letter to Nikon re: D5000 advisory"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Nikon is working hard to do the Right Thing and get the problem taken care of as quickly and painlessly possible for the D5000 owners effected. I don't like the fact that there is a problem with the D5000 but Nikon seems to be making an effort to make it right.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Wed 09-Sep-09 08:16 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: My open letter to Nikon re: D5000 advisory"
In response to Reply # 0

AW

Just my two cents, but it seems you are looking to drive traffic to your blog?

""

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #485 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.