Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3655
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D5100 or D7000 or CanonT3i ?" Previous topic | Next topic
machu79 Registered since 17th May 2011Tue 17-May-11 01:48 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 or D7000 or CanonT3i ?"

US

Hi,
I am an owner of D40 for quite sometime.
I am thinking of upgrading, mainly for the reason of making good videos. I am a musician and would like to make good videos of me & sometimes my band too.

I was all charged up to get D5100 until I have read about the difficulty (or even impossibility?) in setting the exposure in the video mode. What do you think?

The D7000 does not have that, and seems to a much better camera, but apart from the extra $500, it has only 24fps at 1080p. Not sure how much that would matter. Any advice?

The Canon t3i seems to be having good reviews. I had never used a Canon before. I own two Nikon lenses, 18-55mm and 55-200mm. So, switching to Canon means, a loss of $200 for sure, unless I own both Nikon & Canon, am not sure how useful that be.

To summarize, video is my requirement, specifically studio music videos of me playing live and my band playing live and all.
Is manual exposure that important in video, espcially for my application?

Is the lack of 30fps somehting I could miss? Does D7000 overcome that by its other qualities and make a better looking video, despite it?

Is switching to Canon mainly for the video worth it?

Any comments/advice would be highly appreciated,

Thanks a lot
mahesh.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 18-May-11 05:44 AM
3136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5100 or D7000 or CanonT3i ?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 18-May-11 05:47 AM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

Of course it shoots manual. That is what the M on the dial is for.
I like the HD 30fps and tilting LCD screen on the 5100 for Video.

Even though the Canon 5D2 is reputed to be the best HDSLR, for my use I disagree.
I prefer both Nikons and am glad to get rid of my 5D2.
Why would you want to shoot in manual anyway when the Nikon AF is so much better?

Both your lens will work fine but I prefer the AF-S Nikkor 35 f/1.8 and 28-300 for video

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Wed 18-May-11 12:13 PM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5100 or D7000 or CanonT3i ?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 18-May-11 12:59 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

The D5100 doesn't give you complete manual exposure control even when in manual exposure mode. Apparently, the ISO adjusts itself to changing light.

Here's what Thom Hogan said:

"On the negative side, the D5100 doesn't allow manual control of video, meaning you have to jump through some hoops to get video that doesn't constantly change ISO to deal with exposure changes. It should be obvious from my comments that I regard format choice more important than manual control. "

For his complete article, see this link (scroll down to May 10th article):

http://www.bythom.com/2011%20Nikon%20News.htm

Alan

machu79 Registered since 17th May 2011Wed 18-May-11 06:02 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5100 or D7000 or CanonT3i ?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks a lot for your responses!!
I am also a Nikon fan, so I am more inclined try workarounds to avoid Canon at any cost.

Keeping my personal passions apart, I feel the manual exposure thing is something that could be fixed in firmware update? Do Nikon has a history of firmware updates to fix simlilar problems? I cant think of any technical limitations which would have prompted Nikon to do this.

The D7000 is compelling to me, after seeing the specs and pictures/videos taken using it..do you think that $400 extra is worth it?(compared to D5100) I know I might be missing the swivel screen for video, do you think there might be any upgrade, say D7100 in pipeline soon?

NikonBooo Registered since 11th May 2011Wed 18-May-11 06:13 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5100 or D7000 or CanonT3i ?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

The question is, are you really that much into Video?? If yes go and get a true Video Camera. I have a D300 which I truly love, but got tired of grabbin' the Flip Recorder to tape my daughter.

I knew I wanted a Second Body, but smaller. The D5100 is the camera I grab all the time now. Unless I am gonna do some sports shots or Portrait stuff I'll grab my D300.

I didn't want to spend the Money on the D7000, so just as I was gonna pull the trigger on the D3100..... the 5100 came out.

The images are Great!! And its sooooo small. I love this camera! I love the flip LCD! I love the Fast ability to take those nice 2 minute videos!

I hardly ever touch my D300! Actually I just order two more batteries for the D5100!! Love this camera!!

Only thing I do hate, is having to going into Menu's to change settings! I love how fast I can change things on my D300 with all the Dials and Buttons.

But I would buy the D5100 again........ Once I get the Menu's down I'll love this camera even more!!

Good Luck

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 18-May-11 06:20 PM
3136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D5100 or D7000 or CanonT3i ?"
In response to Reply # 3

Monterey Bay, US

For my use the D5100 is the clear winner for HD Video, trips, hiking.

For action photography (Events) I think the D7000 is more than worth the extra dollars.
I also like the grip and build, dual cards, larger batter, and controls a lot better.

Nikon has a history of fixing bugs rapidly but seldom adds features thru firmware.
Instead they do that in the next or different model.
So, expect the D400 to have the best of everything DX + some new features.

NikonBooo Registered since 11th May 2011Wed 18-May-11 07:53 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D5100 or D7000 or CanonT3i ?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Roger,

Do you have the ME-1 Microphone for the D5100? The focusing noise is kinda annoying when playing back video. I have heard it will totally get rid of the focus noise.

rectangularimage Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Oct 2009Wed 18-May-11 08:02 PM
1110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D5100 or D7000 or CanonT3i ?"
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego, US

I know some video people that like to sometimes use fast prime lenses, so with Nikon you can use old, relatively inexpensive AI/AIS manual focus lenses without an adapter.

...Mike

My website | My Nikonians gallery

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 18-May-11 08:10 PM
#8. "RE: D5100 or D7000 or CanonT3i ?"
In response to Reply # 6
Wed 18-May-11 08:13 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

>
>
>Roger,
>
>Do you have the ME-1 Microphone for the D5100? The focusing
>noise is kinda annoying when playing back video. I have heard
>it will totally get rid of the focus noise.
>
>I bought an Audio-Technica ATR 6250 for my D7000 and had to tape the sides (under the windscreen) to get rid of the focus and background noise.
It works quite well now.

When I added the D5100 I got a second (backup) mic.
The Azden SMX-10
It not only does not need tape but has a strong rubber mount.

You can get them both at B&H for a lot less than the ME-1 or a Rode.
Unless you have a sensitive ear, you will not be able to tell the difference.
But they are all a lot better than the in-camera mic.

NikonBooo Registered since 11th May 2011Wed 18-May-11 11:33 PM
#9. "RE: D5100 or D7000 or CanonT3i ?"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Thanks Roger,

I'll order the SMX10! Its is way cheaper then the Nikon... Only thing people complain about with it is not knowing when the batteries run out. But it worth it being so much cheaper.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 19-May-11 12:50 AM
#10. "RE: D5100 or D7000 or CanonT3i ?"
In response to Reply # 9
Thu 19-May-11 12:52 AM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

I used the Azden Sunday.
The sound of the Choir, music, and Pastors Sermon a;; came out real good.

The biggest problem with the mic batteries is that they last so long that you cannot remember when you put them in.

I have about 35 hours on my Audio-technica and the battery still registers high charge.
I use a little battery checker before critical Events and also carry a spare battery and mic.

Check out the Nikonians Video Forum.
Lots of good advice in there.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 29-May-11 01:31 PM
#11. "RE: D5100 or D7000 or CanonT3i ?"
In response to Reply # 7

Monterey Bay, US

Although Canonites will almost always choose the T3i, they are usually invested in lens &/or other system and shoot their video in manual.

If you do a search for: compare D5100 or 7000 with T3i, you will see the Nikons are the clear winners.
Another important thing is that Canon overstates their specs while Nikon usually is more conservative.
I had a 5D2 (great for Video and Landscapes). AutoFocus and the ISO at 6400 was nowhere as good as Nikons.

machu79 Registered since 17th May 2011Mon 30-May-11 02:13 AM
#12. "RE: D5100 or D7000 or CanonT3i ?"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Thank you everyone!!
Has anyone had experience with the D5100 video yet?
What i am really looking forward to , is to make good music videos ( low light) in my home studio. Do you think the Nikon D5100 presets will do the job enough that i dont need to worry about the auto exposure setting problem ( if it is there!) on Nikon?

Has anyone found a work around for it yet? if so, has anyone tried it?

THanks a lot again !

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 30-May-11 05:25 AM
#13. "RE: D5100 or D7000 or CanonT3i ?"
In response to Reply # 12

Monterey Bay, US

>Thank you everyone!!
>Has anyone had experience with the D5100 video yet?

Yes, I've been using the D5100 for the last month to videograph our Church Services.

>What i am really looking forward to , is to make good music
>videos ( low light) in my home studio.

You will need a good TriPod with Video head and an external music recorder or mic.

Do you think the Nikon
>D5100 presets will do the job enough that i don't need to worry
>about the auto exposure setting problem ( if it is there!) on
>Nikon?

I use Auto Exposure, Auto ISO max 6400 and minimum shutter of 60 for a 1080i 30fps Video. I then record 20 minutes and push the record button again. When I get home, I drop the segments into the CyberLink Power Director timeline and burn a DVD.
>
> Has anyone found a work around for it yet? if so, has anyone
>tried it?

Works good and easy for me.
>
>THanks a lot again !

Check the "I want to sell" form for nearly new equipment at reduced price.
>
>

anneo Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jun 2010Mon 30-May-11 10:40 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D5100 or D7000 or CanonT3i ?"
In response to Reply # 4

Adelaide, AU

I have a D300s which I bought as a replacement for my D90 which was stolen. When I have time to think about the shot, I get great photos, but when I want to take shots on the run, I am really struggling. If I use Program mode, the results are really variable and I need to put on my reading glasses to check the image which means that I miss the shot. I am thinking about getting another Nikon body (I have a number of Nikon lenses). Do you think the D5100 would fit the bill? I have a Panasonic DMC FZ35 which I should probably use in these situations but have become addicted to decent view finders.

NikonBooo Registered since 11th May 2011Mon 06-Jun-11 01:39 PM
#15. "RE: D5100 or D7000 or CanonT3i ?"
In response to Reply # 13

US

Roger thanks again for the SMX-10 External Mic suggestion! I got it and it works like a charm on my D5100. And its about over half the price of the nikon version!!!

Thanks again!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3655 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.